ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Draft Planet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Star Lotulelei (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266601)

Sorter 11-13-2012 06:17 PM

Star Lotulelei
 
If we picked our QB already (Smith, Barkley, Wilson,etc.) and it's the early 20s and Star hasn't been picked, would you be willing to trade up for him?

This hypothetical scenario also ensures that we no longer play the 2-gap and have switched to a Phillipsesque 1-gap. Thus, by drafting Star, he would most likely start at NT and Poe would play line up at either the 3 or 5-tech in our base 3-4 front.

Thoughts?

Nightfyre 11-13-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9116582)
If we picked our QB already (Smith, Barkley, Wilson,etc.) and it's the early 20s and Star hasn't been picked, would you be willing to trade up for him?

This hypothetical scenario also ensures that we no longer play the 2-gap and have switched to a Phillipsesque 1-gap. Thus, by drafting Star, he would most likely start at NT and Poe would play line up at either the 3 or 5-tech in our base 3-4 front.

Thoughts?

I think this is a pretty deep draft and I would have a hard time justifying a trade up. But since he will be gone in the top 10, it's probably fairly irrelevant.

Sorter 11-13-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9116636)
I think this is a pretty deep draft and I would have a hard time justifying a trade up. But since he will be gone in the top 10, it's probably fairly irrelevant.

Agree, this was just hypothetical situation I posted after watching 3 games of Stars after 2 Gins :)

I don't want to sound true-fanish here, but a line of Poe, Star, and Sheldon Richardson from MU would be awesome, IMO. Especially if we could still have Barkley/Smith/Wilson. Maybe it's the Bombay talking though. :)

Nightfyre 11-13-2012 07:00 PM

I think Allen Bailey instantly becomes a three down player if we shift to a 1-gap 3-4. Really, the biggest issue would be adding speed to our LB corps. This is a pretty deep LB class though.

Back to Star though - what he did to USC was epic. He obviously is a great talent.

Sorter 11-13-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9116712)
I think Allen Bailey instantly becomes a three down player if we shift to a 1-gap 3-4. Really, the biggest issue would be adding speed to our LB corps. This is a pretty deep LB class though.

Ideally, yes. I'm probably the biggest Bailey homer on the board. However, that won't stop me from thinking we should try and upgrade the 3-tech. The base front for a 1-gap is a 5-tech, shaded 1, and then a 3-tech. So either Bailey plays full time in the 3 (ideal for him IMO) or full time in the 5 barring a draft pick.

This team definitely needs to upgrade at least 2X at ILB and probably obtain another OLB for depth, in addition to getting depth on the 3-tech, and in the secondary.


****, this team has way more holes than I had anticipated 5 months ago. Back to the Bombay :(

Sorter 11-13-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9116712)
I think Allen Bailey instantly becomes a three down player if we shift to a 1-gap 3-4. Really, the biggest issue would be adding speed to our LB corps. This is a pretty deep LB class though.

Back to Star though - what he did to USC was epic. He obviously is a great talent.

How about Powe at NT, Poe playing the 5/4tech and Bailey playing the 3-tech?

That seems like it cold be a solid group.

Woodchuck 11-14-2012 07:24 AM

I would definately trade up for him. I would also trade up for Jenkins if he were there in the 20s. He is an experienced 3-4 NT and might be a better fit than star. He causes a ton of chaos and would make an immediate impact.

JASONSAUTO 11-14-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsponge Chuckpants (Post 9117826)
I would definately trade up for him. I would also trade up for Jenkins if he were there in the 20s. He is an experienced 3-4 NT and might be a better fit than star. He causes a ton of chaos and would make an immediate impact.

JFC
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut 11-14-2012 03:40 PM

Star's a damn monster.

We should've made a move for Tannehill last season so we could go Star this season. Hell yes you would move up for him if he's available in the 20s.

He won't be.

Saccopoo 11-18-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9118950)
Star's a damn monster.

We should've made a move for Tannehill last season so we could go Star this season. Hell yes you would move up for him if he's available in the 20s.

He won't be.

I already said, when they did it, that the pick of Poe was a waste if they wanted a NT as there were three first round talents in the next draft.

Another shortsighted piss away draft pick by Pioli.

Starlite is a beast.

However, it's going to end up ****ing great as Pioli is going to be fired, Crennel is going to be fired and Daboll is going to be fired and we will actually draft a position that actually is relevant to ultimate team success in the NFL - the quarterback.

And Starlite is going to make either Jacksonville or Carolina very happy. He's a top five pick at this point. And a redundant pick by the Chiefs. Unless they switch to a 4-3 next season with the new coaching staff.

The trade up you need to be talking about is Manti Te'o or John Banks. The past two MSU games, Banks, even with an injured knee, is still the best player on the field. He just stands out. That guy is a stud. Same with Te'o.

BossChief 11-18-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9127610)
I already said, when they did it, that the pick of Poe was a waste if they wanted a NT as there were three first round talents in the next draft.

Another shortsighted piss away draft pick by Pioli.

Starlite is a beast.

However, it's going to end up ****ing great as Pioli is going to be fired, Crennel is going to be fired and Daboll is going to be fired and we will actually draft a position that actually is relevant to ultimate team success in the NFL - the quarterback.

And Starlite is going to make either Jacksonville or Carolina very happy. He's a top five pick at this point. And a redundant pick by the Chiefs. Unless they switch to a 4-3 next season with the new coaching staff.

The trade up you need to be talking about is Manti Te'o or John Banks. The past two MSU games, Banks, even with an injured knee, is still the best player on the field. He just stands out. That guy is a stud. Same with Te'o.

**** trading up for a non pass rushing linebacker.

Id be totally fine if we did so for Star or one of the other stud DL though...depending on the cost, but if we are trading up, I think Id rather use the ammo to move up and take another playmaker on offense.

If we have a chance at taking Geno Smith in the first round, we need to spend some resources on putting as many weapons around him as possible...even though I think our current weapons are pretty damn good.

Saccopoo 11-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9127661)
**** trading up for a non pass rushing linebacker.

Id be totally fine if we did so for Star or one of the other stud DL though...depending on the cost, but if we are trading up, I think Id rather use the ammo to move up and take another playmaker on offense.

If we have a chance at taking Geno Smith in the first round, we need to spend some resources on putting as many weapons around him as possible...even though I think our current weapons are pretty damn good.

The offense is pretty loaded. Having guys like Bowe, Baldwin, Boss, Moeaki, McCluster, Charles and Hillis as well as a pretty decent offensive line is not a bad situation for a rookie QB to come into, especially one that can throw a ball.

As long as there is a competent offensive coordinator running/calling the system.

However, there's not a chance in hell that Starlite falls out of the top ten. He's got a chance to be the first pick in the draft depending upon who's taking that pick. If the Chiefs lose picks to move up for a defensive tackle, I'd ****ing freak out.

Personally, I don't think that there is a huge difference between Shane Skov and Manti Te'o, and Skov should be there in the third when the Chiefs make their selection.

And as much as I like John Banks, I think that Dave Amerson is about the same level and could be had with the Chiefs second rounder as I have them taking him in my most recent mock.

DJ's left nut 11-19-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9127661)
**** trading up for a non pass rushing linebacker.

Id be totally fine if we did so for Star or one of the other stud DL though...depending on the cost, but if we are trading up, I think Id rather use the ammo to move up and take another playmaker on offense.

If we have a chance at taking Geno Smith in the first round, we need to spend some resources on putting as many weapons around him as possible...even though I think our current weapons are pretty damn good.

I'm still opposed to the 3-4.

If Te'o is bouncing around in the late 1st, you trade up and switch to a 4-3 to accommodate him. The kid's the next Urlacher, IMO.

If you can get Smith and Te'o, you've put together the cornerstones for the next decade on both sides of the ball. Those are the two most valuable leadership positions and they'd be filled by guys with absolute top-shelf ability and intangibles.

DJ's left nut 11-19-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9128211)
The offense is pretty loaded. Having guys like Bowe, Baldwin, Boss, Moeaki, McCluster, Charles and Hillis as well as a pretty decent offensive line is not a bad situation for a rookie QB to come into, especially one that can throw a ball.

As long as there is a competent offensive coordinator running/calling the system.

However, there's not a chance in hell that Starlite falls out of the top ten. He's got a chance to be the first pick in the draft depending upon who's taking that pick. If the Chiefs lose picks to move up for a defensive tackle, I'd ****ing freak out.

Personally, I don't think that there is a huge difference between Shane Skov and Manti Te'o, and Skov should be there in the third when the Chiefs make their selection.

And as much as I like John Banks, I think that Dave Amerson is about the same level and could be had with the Chiefs second rounder as I have them taking him in my most recent mock.

Skov would be a really nice pickup in the third to eventually replace Belcher. I wouldn't mind a trade-down scenario where we take him in the 2nd either (otherwise I think he's a reach).

If you go with Skov, it signals a commitment to the 3-4 though, as I don't see him doing as well in a 4-3.

Pestilence 11-21-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9133428)
I'm still opposed to the 3-4.

If Te'o is bouncing around in the late 1st, you trade up and switch to a 4-3 to accommodate him. The kid's the next Urlacher, IMO.

If you can get Smith and Te'o, you've put together the cornerstones for the next decade on both sides of the ball. Those are the two most valuable leadership positions and they'd be filled by guys with absolute top-shelf ability and intangibles.

Do you move DJ to weakside? DJ - Teo - Houston? Do you put Houston at DE opposite Hali?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.