ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Draft Planet (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Geno Smith Will Be The 1st QB Taken (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264331)

Sorter 09-27-2012 04:43 PM

Geno Smith Will Be The 1st QB Taken
 
So far, I've broken down 7 games of Barkley in a row, including Syracuse, Hawaii and Stanford from this year. I can tell you right now that Smith and maybe Wilson (with a strong rest of the season) will be taken ahead of him if Barkley continues at his current rate.

Barkley's tape from last year looks much better last year as opposed to this year. USC is running a lot more WR screens which doesn't help him, but he looks significantly worse so far. He tends to lock on to receivers more this year than last, go to his checkdowns more, throws off his back foot more (product in part from not getting a quality drop and having to rush throws), and his accuracy down the field isn't as good as last year. His accuracy issues are in part to him mainly not driving off his back foot (which causes his passes downfield to sail a bit and his closer passes to be behind) and are also do to him not finishing his follow-through on his release (mainly due to pressure or his thought that it exists). His O-Line is not as good as last year and he is not adjusting as well as he should be. It isn't horrible (Bears) but it is having an outcome in his accuracy and quickness to check the ball down.

I'll have a complete breakdown by next week of every game from 2011 and through 2012, probably via Word Doc. if people are interested. I was mainly doing it for Billay since he asked but I figured you all would enjoy getting to analyze my own analysis and provide your thoughts. Plus, most of you are actually competent and will be able to provide feedback (positive/negative) that will help formulate a better opinion of Barkley for this upcoming draft.

Saccopoo 09-29-2012 08:20 PM

Ya think?

Sorter 10-01-2012 08:56 PM

Most teams still had Barkley at the top of their draft boards when I wrote this.

Granted, most teams probably have arrived at the same conclusion I did on Barkley, hopefully sooner.

Death2CasselFans 10-09-2012 05:47 AM

i'm biased towards barkley as you can see from sig

Chiefnj2 10-09-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8968785)
Most teams still had Barkley at the top of their draft boards when I wrote this.

Granted, most teams probably have arrived at the same conclusion I did on Barkley, hopefully sooner.

Teams don't have draft boards yet.

Sorter 10-09-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8995192)
Teams don't have draft boards yet.



Most teams viewed Barkley as the consensus #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and had him rated as the best QB available.

Is that better?

BryanBusby 10-11-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8995741)
Most teams viewed Barkley as the consensus #1 pick in the 2013 NFL draft and had him rated as the best QB available.

Is that better?

people that make mock drafts =! teams

Bewbies 10-14-2012 07:39 PM

Scott Pioli has a 5 tech on top of his board. His highest rated QB is Landry Jones, in the 6th round.

theelusiveeightrop 10-15-2012 09:47 AM

If Landry loses the porn stache, let's talk.

Woodchuck 10-16-2012 07:02 AM

I think it's still to early to say. Smith is probably a little overrated right now and I agree that no team has a draft board yet. Smith was the "flavor of the month" in September in my opinion.

Chiefnj2 10-16-2012 10:02 AM

Smith finally faced a decent defense and wasn't the same guy people thought he was against Baylor. He played well against Texas, but that's a team where some of the parts are better than the entire unit.

He has 3 more games against good D's - Kansas State (this week), Oklahoma and Iowa State, and one game against an okay D in TCU.

TT set up the gameplan to beat Smith - jam the receivers and run the risk that he beats you deep. So far, he isn't a good deep passer. He struggles when he has to put air under the ball.

The good thing about this season is that Smith has a half a season against good competition to cement being the #1 pick in the draft, or falling like every other QB this year.

Saccopoo 10-17-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9020022)
Smith finally faced a decent defense and wasn't the same guy people thought he was against Baylor. He played well against Texas, but that's a team where some of the parts are better than the entire unit.

He has 3 more games against good D's - Kansas State (this week), Oklahoma and Iowa State, and one game against an okay D in TCU.

TT set up the gameplan to beat Smith - jam the receivers and run the risk that he beats you deep. So far, he isn't a good deep passer. He struggles when he has to put air under the ball.

The good thing about this season is that Smith has a half a season against good competition to cement being the #1 pick in the draft, or falling like every other QB this year.

Are you ****ing high?

Geno Smith has been absolute gold putting air under the ball. He's been hitting receivers in stride deep all season. Guys in tight double coverage and he's hitting them in stride 40-50 yards downfield. What the **** have you been not watching?

Have you even seen a single West Virginia game the past three seasons?

Nightfyre 10-17-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9020022)
Smith finally faced a decent defense and wasn't the same guy people thought he was against Baylor. He played well against Texas, but that's a team where some of the parts are better than the entire unit.

He has 3 more games against good D's - Kansas State (this week), Oklahoma and Iowa State, and one game against an okay D in TCU.

TT set up the gameplan to beat Smith - jam the receivers and run the risk that he beats you deep. So far, he isn't a good deep passer. He struggles when he has to put air under the ball.

The good thing about this season is that Smith has a half a season against good competition to cement being the #1 pick in the draft, or falling like every other QB this year.

That's an awful lot of text for an uninformed opinion based on one game.

Chiefnj2 10-18-2012 08:19 AM

“Going in, we were going to make him throw deep. That ball kind of fizzles in the wind on deep balls,” Tuberville said. “We disguised our corners. We walked them up, we walked them back. We probably pressed them more than what they thought we would. They’re good throwing go-routes and it got them out of rhythm.”



Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/w...#ixzz29f09c6jn
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Chiefnj2 10-23-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9026914)
That's an awful lot of text for an uninformed opinion based on one game.

Two games, and three more against decent D's. Time will tell.

Right now, he's still a good prospect, but:
1) When he has to get air under the ball he struggles.
2) When he has to move in the pocket, or outside, he panics a bit.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.