ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The Broncos: I don't see it. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259165)

Direckshun 05-02-2012 05:10 PM

The Broncos: I don't see it.

I really don't.

The Manning thing was a stroke of genius, if only because John Elway has the benefit of being Manning's idol. I tell you what, if I was a future Hall of Fame basketball player, and none of you know me so let's just say I am, I'd probably be more inclined to play for the Pacers under Larry Bird (favorite player of all time) than on a small market playoff team like the Memphis Grizzlies.

I think the Broncos, with that acquisition, are about to have themselves a Top 5 passing game in the NFL.

The problem is, I'm pretty sure that's all this team is.

The offensive line is not close to being fixed. Orlando Franklin has been serviceable on the right side, but is not an Eric Winston world beater at the position. And unless they move Franklin inside, their interior line is a joke. Beadles looks like he's getting another year sucking it up at RG, and it looks like JD Walton will be sucking it up at C yet again, because I honestly don't think Phillip Blake unseats him. And if he does, we'll take 680 lbs of nose tackle and shove it up right up the rook's nose.

Which would mean a ton if they had a demonic run game to threaten defenses with -- which, ding ding ding, you guessed it: it's average. Willis McGahee was running like a wildman when Tebow was under center, but they couldn't move the ball against the Chiefs bottom-third run defense late in the year. The only reinforcements they've brought in? A scatback from San Diego State, Ronnie Hillman.

I've no doubt that teams will drop eight, giving the Donks a chance to run better, but it's nothing a stout defensive line and a fast linebacker corps can't rectify.

Their defensive line continues to underwhelm me up the middle -- I like what they have coming off the edges, but I think you can run right at Dumervil and Ayers (I regard Miller as the real deal). I've never been a big DJ Williams fan, just plays too much like Derrick Johnson from the Vermeil days for me to get too excited about.

Their secondary has some talent. Bailey is an All Pro in his twilight years, and I love that safety they drafted from UCLA last year. But Porter has spent the past year or two getting his ass handed to him in New Orleans, and their rookie corner is coming off a devastating injury and is going to take a year or two to develop anyway.

The more things change, the more they stay the same... the Broncos are looking a lot now like the Colts did in the latter Manning years: all pass game with an average run game, with a shit defense apart from two passrushers.

It was a successful strategy in Indianapolis, when the run game was better. The offensive line was better. The defense was better.

And the quarterback was younger, stronger, not a year out of football, one hit away from being sidelined.

In which case, we'll either see a lanky-ass rookie with a Tebow-style delivery, or Caleb Hanie, who we beat in 2011 with Tyler Palko under center.

Sorry folks, don't see it.

San Diego or Kansas City make a ton more sense as division winners.

the Talking Can 05-02-2012 05:13 PM

manning won't finish the season

Okie_Apparition 05-02-2012 05:16 PM

Elway wasted PM's last years
~Kia Rio

stonedstooge 05-02-2012 05:18 PM

If Manning has lost a part of that quick release, Donks may not win 8

qabbaan 05-02-2012 05:20 PM

Manning can get a mediocre team to the postseason. He did it for most of his career. I expect he will do so this year. Nobody really thinks Denver is a Super Bowl threat, though, except the orange jammie types.

Deberg_1990 05-02-2012 05:20 PM

I fully expect them to have a good year this season (ala Montana and Favre) then drop off quickly after that. (ala Montana and Favre)
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties 05-02-2012 05:21 PM

The Chiefs: They blinded me.

qabbaan 05-02-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8589288)
If Manning has lost a part of that quick release, Donks may not win 8

Manning isn't a guy like Favre who lived on physical talent and could make poor decisions because of it. Manning is a technician and probably the most capable quarterback mentally who ever played the game. If anyone could still compete despite his physical skills regressing some it would be him.

qabbaan 05-02-2012 05:24 PM

I expect Manning will beat us like stepchildren this year though.

Having leadership from the QB position on a team is a big deal. This is part of our Cassel problem. Everyone knows he sucks. They don't respect him. Therefore he can't truly lead them.

Leadership on the team could give Denver a boost.

-King- 05-02-2012 05:26 PM

Demaryius Thomas.

Eric Decker.

They're not doing shit. Their passing game wont be top 5.

Rain Man 05-02-2012 05:26 PM

Please, god, please let Poe get one good hit on him and land on top of him.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-02-2012 05:27 PM

I think Elway purchased a Lemon.

Okie_Apparition 05-02-2012 05:29 PM

If anyone ends his season it will be a Raider
the fans always get something to hang their masks on

vailpass 05-02-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8589320)
Demaryius Thomas.

Eric Decker.

They're not doing shit. Their passing game wont be top 5.

I'll take DT over anything KC has and I'm not alone.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-02-2012 05:34 PM

:LOL: