ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs What were you doing when you heard about DT? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=211604)

chiefbowe82 08-08-2009 02:20 PM

What were you doing when you heard about DT?

Everyone can always recall what exactly they were doing during a tramatic event. What were you doing when you heard the news DT had been in a terrible accident?

I was eating supper when it came across the news.

Fairplay 08-08-2009 02:22 PM

Sorry i don't remember.

chiefs1111 08-08-2009 02:22 PM

I was outside playing basketball with some friends when my mom came out and told me what had happened.

Mr. Arrowhead 08-08-2009 02:24 PM

I was working out at the Gym, and the radio statition they had on annouced, i drop my dumb bells, and started tearing up.

Megbert 08-08-2009 02:46 PM

I was at home in Phoenix. My mom called me and asked if I heard about Derrick being in an accident. Thought/hoped she was joking or mistaken.

Mr. Flopnuts 08-08-2009 02:55 PM

I remember catching it on the ESPN ticker at the bottom of the page that a member of the KC Chiefs was in a serious accident and was possibly paralyzed. I remember thinking "Please God, don't let it be Derrick." And then I saw that it was. No sense describing what happened from there.

KCChiefsMan 08-08-2009 02:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I had just woke up and logged online and saw it. It was a very sad day

bobbymitch 08-08-2009 03:05 PM

We flew in and had to drive from the airport in that snow storm. A normal 45 minute drive took 4 hours! We heard about the accident either later that night or the next day. Even today, we couldn't imagine anyone speeding in that mess. Such a needless tragedy.

Adept Havelock 08-08-2009 03:48 PM

Watching TV, waiting for the Conf. Championship games to start, IIRC.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 08-08-2009 03:53 PM

walked out of Biomechanics at ASU and was headed to a Physiology class when my mom buzzed me on my cell. I blew off class and spent the rest of the afternoon in the computer commons just reading updates on the situation. Long live DT!

OnTheWarpath15 08-08-2009 03:57 PM

Sitting in post-game traffic after the NFC Championship Game.

Halfcan 08-08-2009 04:04 PM

I was driving and heard it on the radio.

I was bummed but at least he was alive I thought.

I was also driving when I heard he finally died-I had to pull over and cry.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-08-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 5958498)
I remember catching it on the ESPN ticker at the bottom of the page that a member of the KC Chiefs was in a serious accident and was possibly paralyzed. I remember thinking "Please God, don't let it be Derrick." And then I saw that it was. No sense describing what happened from there.

It was unreal, wasn't it? I didn't seem possible. At first I was the selfish football fan, grieving because I'd never see him suit up again. But after a day or two I realized that there was so much left in this world for Derrick to do, and that it was our turn to give back to HIM.
If we could come together and support his off field work and do whatever was possible to help him walk again, it would be the greatest win ever.

And then, even that was taken away. I was working when I heard the news. I was in my 2nd year with the KCMO Water Dept., and I was driving from house to house getting meter readings over at 55th and Ward Parkway. Time just stopped, and it was one of those rare moments in my life where something hits you so hard, that nothing else around you matters.
I'd try to work, but I couldn't make more than a couple of houses before I had to pull the truck over, and try to get it together. By the time I got home, I was just drained in every possible way.

Reaper16 08-08-2009 04:23 PM

I don't remember what I was doing when I heard that he had an accident. I was probably watching the news.

I remember what I was doing when I heard that he died, though. I was on a field-trip to Crown Center & Union Station in middle school for the gifted program that I was in. There used to be this gyro place in Crown Center by the candy store, and I heard it from the radio playing there.

milkman 08-08-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5958625)
I don't remember what I was doing when I heard that he had an accident. I was probably watching the news.

I remember what I was doing when I heard that he died, though. I was on a field-trip to Crown Center & Union Station in middle school for the gifted program that I was in. There used to be this gyro place in Crown Center by the candy store, and I heard it from the radio playing there.

Like you, I don't remember what I was doing when the accident occurred.

But I was at work, on my way to deliver to an El Torito Restaurant in Northridge when I heard the news that he died.

I was absolutely shaken by the news.