ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Whats your favorite classic book you read in school? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258505)

-King- 04-16-2012 08:32 AM

Of mice and men probably.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish 04-16-2012 08:33 AM

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
On The Road - Jack Kerouac
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

HoneyBadger 04-16-2012 08:33 AM

Catcher in the Rye!

Dragonocho 04-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger (Post 8545209)
Catcher in the Rye!

phoney

Bugeater 04-16-2012 08:39 AM

I found most of the stuff we had to read to be very uninteresting. Especially ****ing Shakespeare and his stupid-ass shit.

Nzoner 04-16-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8545228)
I found most of the stuff we had to read to be very uninteresting. Especially ****ing Shakespeare and his stupid-ass shit.

Yep,you're definitely a NASCAR fan :D

LOCOChief 04-16-2012 08:40 AM

Does Penthouse forum count? I can even remember much of it.

"I never would have believed it until it happened to me. I was a freshman at a small midwestern university hitchiking home durin g a break when a group of naked hot cheerleaders from a neighboring university stopped in their convertable mustang and picked me up for what would come to be known as the ride of my life."

I can't say that I couldn't put it down because after about 10 minutes I read enough until about an hour later then it started all over again.

BigCatDaddy 04-16-2012 08:43 AM

Flowers for Algernon

blaise 04-16-2012 09:01 AM

To Kill a Mockingbird. We read it in 8th of 9th grade, and I was totally absorbed. It changed the way I read literature from that point onward really. I expected more from books than I had before.

Frosty 04-16-2012 09:33 AM

It was most certainly not Moby Dick. :#

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8545228)

I was bored to tears with Shakespeare until I took a class on Shakespeare for an English class in high school my senior year (it was one of the few that fit my schedule). The guy that taught it was a Shakespeare nut and even acted and worked in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, OR. He was excellent at explaining what the language meant and what ol' Bill was going for at various points in the plays. It really made it come alive and I found I really enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8545273)
To Kill a Mockingbird. We read it in 8th of 9th grade, and I was totally absorbed. It changed the way I read literature from that point onward really. I expected more from books than I had before.

Probably this.

Nzoner 04-16-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8545375)

I was bored to tears with Shakespeare until I took a class on Shakespeare for an English class in high school my senior year (it was one of the few that fit my schedule). The guy that taught it was a Shakespeare nut and even acted and worked in the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, OR. He was excellent at explaining what the language meant and what ol' Bill was going for at various points in the plays. It really made it come alive and I found I really enjoyed it.

Teachers with a true passion for what they teach are definitely not paid enough.

Bugeater 04-16-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8545231)
Yep,you're definitely a NASCAR fan :D

Heh. In my case, I could actually read it, I simply lacked the desire to do so.

Megbert 04-16-2012 09:42 AM

To Kill a Mockingbird. Loved the hell out of that book. If I recall it was the only book I read cover to cover in HS. Also liked Old Man and the Sea.

Frosty 04-16-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 8545411)
Teachers with a true passion for what they teach are definitely not paid enough.

Yeah. Bad English teachers in high school nearly ruined me to writing. Fortunately, I had some excellent teachers in college (actually in a community college) that really turned me around to writing.

Unfortunately, I am currently seeing the soul killing English teachers in my boys' high school.

CosmicPal 04-16-2012 09:46 AM

Some of the ones mentioned here were the very books that stirred my love for reading:

Voltaire's Candide
Flowers for Algernon
On the Road
Catcher in the Rye

Catcher in the Rye was the book that did it for me. I had a cool teacher then and he suggested I read Kerouac's On the Road. It was then that I stopped reading Cliff Notes and started getting more engrossed in books.

I never had the chance to thank him.