ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Chargers fail to draw a bigger crowd than L.A. Galaxy for their preseason debut (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309325)

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2017 08:54 AM

Chargers fail to draw a bigger crowd than L.A. Galaxy for their preseason debut

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...eseason-debut/

Yes, an NFL team playing in a soccer stadium can't outdraw the soccer team that plays there

Despite the fact that it's only preseason, when teams move there's usually a certain buzz around a team's first game in a new stadium. The Los Angeles Chargers' move, however, has been controversial from the jump. For their preseason opener on Sunday night, 21,054 fans went to the StubHub Center (which has a capacity of 27,000) to see the Chargers get routed by the Seahawks. For comparison, the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS had 25,667 in attendance the previous night.

The Chargers' welcome to L.A. has been significantly less than warm so far. Between them getting booed at the Staples Center in January and their new logo being mocked into the ground upon its unveiling, the Chargers will really need to work to get into the good graces of the city. Obviously it isn't impossible, and winning cures all, but it's no easy task in the vaunted AFC West. Perhaps the city will warm up to the Chargers in the near future, but with the Rams' move already being controversial, it shouldn't come as a surprise that fickle L.A. fans are wary of another team.

StubHub Center being a temporary home may also be a factor. Soccer games are played in football stadiums with some frequency, but the opposite is rarely true. The Chargers will be sharing a new palatial home with the Rams in Inglewood that is expected to be ready come 2020. It will have a capacity of 70,240. Hopefully the Chargers have a bigger following by then, because 20,000 people would look awfully lonely in that space.

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2017 08:54 AM

It was a great idea for the Spanos family to leave San Diego

LMAO

pugsnotdrugs19 08-14-2017 09:04 AM

Yeah, I've felt that it was a really stupid move all along. It would be different had the Rams not just moved there, but they are LA's team (if they even truly have one).

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13011587)
Yeah, I've felt that it was a really stupid move all along. It would be different had the Rams not just moved there, but they are LA's team (if they even truly have one).

There were more opposing fans at Rams games than Rams fans but that will change when/if the team begins to win. They still have a following in SoCal so all they need to prove is that they're committed to winning and they'll have good crowds.

The Chargers? I just can't see it.

notorious 08-14-2017 09:13 AM

:facepalm:

Rausch 08-14-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13011595)
There were more opposing fans at Rams games than Rams fans but that will change when/if the team begins to win.

The Chargers were winning 11 and 12 games in SD and couldn't sell out.

The 49'ERS and Raiders own that state and the Chargers are the homely girl with a great personality...

Eleazar 08-14-2017 09:26 AM

I know this is the case in New York, obviously, where you have two teams with many decades of fan heritage, but in LA when you have two teams move in just a year apart - how can they expect for both to succeed? Especially when they're both going to play in the same stadium and thus you won't have a 'this half of the city' vs 'that half of the city thing' going.

The Chargers might want to stay at the soccer stadium because it's hard to see them drawing more than 27k given the above and with their team the way it is LMAO

displacedinMN 08-14-2017 09:27 AM

Granted-preseaon games suck. But the Chargers will have a terrible time doing anything in LA-forever.

NDSU sold out all games for the Fargodome in less than 10 minutes. (just over 19,000 seats) Maybe the Chargers should move to Fargo. Or Anchorage, Or Lincoln, NE

Eleazar 08-14-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13011646)
Granted-preseaon games suck. But the Chargers will have a terrible time doing anything in LA-forever.

NDSU sold out all games for the Fargodome in less than 10 minutes. (just over 19,000 seats) Maybe the Chargers should move to Fargo. Or Anchorage, Or Lincoln, NE

Oakland might have an opening soon ROFL

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2017 09:31 AM

Preaseason games suck but 20,000 in a brand new city?

Even to say that it's laughable doesn't do it justice.

I think the Chiefs drew more than 20,000 people during the 70's and 80's preseason games.

This is the definition of a disaster.

DaneMcCloud 08-14-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13011652)

The Spanos Family is from Northern California (Stockton) and it would have made more sense for them to share Levi's Stadium after the Raiders move to Vegas than to share the with the Rams in Los Angeles.

chinaski 08-14-2017 09:41 AM

I have lived in the LA area for 20 years, and while there are a lot of NFL fans, most people are fans of other teams.

I don't know if that is a reflection on the fact that there wasn't an NFL team here for over two decades, or the fact a large majority of the population are transplants from somewhere else...it is what it is.

There is certainly a large contingent of Raiders fans, but again most people are fans of whatever team they grew up with, or whatever team they happened to adopt.

I can see the Rams being successful, being a team that actually has some history here, but the Chargers not so much.

displacedinMN 08-14-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13011652)

I think I said it before

Chargers should be the ultimate road team. Each year, home is a new, small market city. They could use an existing stadium. Play 8 games there then move. They would change their name to the Nomads. (not Ermines)

Maybe they will be the team in London.

notorious 08-14-2017 09:55 AM

Probably the dumbest relocation in history.

ModSocks 08-14-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13011654)
Preaseason games suck but 20,000 in a brand new city?

Even to say that it's laughable doesn't do it justice.

I think the Chiefs drew more than 20,000 people during the 70's and 80's preseason games.

This is the definition of a disaster.

And half of THOSE were freakin' Seahawk fans. Get ****ed, Spanos.

Also, both the Rams and Raiders are now encroaching on San Diego, which is hilarious.

Rams games are now being broadcast in San Diego, and Raiders games will be called on 105.3. 105.3 is one of San Diego's most popular FM stations and use to broadcast Chargers games.

LMAO, again, Get ****ed Spanos.