ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The Chiefs are taking Geno #1; bank on it (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270750)

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:03 AM

The Chiefs are taking Geno #1; bank on it

Andy loves him some QBs. And KC has been a bottomless pit of QB suckage. While folks initially freaked out over the ASmith signing (me included), once they locked up Bowe and Albert, it seemed pretty clear that Geno will be the choice at #1.

People say you don't draft a QB #1 to sit on the bench, the first pick of the draft isn't a backup QB. They are right. They say ASmith will be the starter, especially given his compensation. They are right. Ummm, does that mean that Geno is being groomed for a year or two behind Alex? Not necessarily.

What? That is nonsense!

Only in the traditional sense.

I think Reid and Dorsey are thinking waaay outside the box on this one.

If (when) the Chiefs draft Geno, the whole idea of a "backup" QB will be shook up. "Backup" will be a matter of semantics. "Starting" will be a matter of semantics as well.

Reid and Dorsey both see the need for 2 "starting caliber" QBs on a team in today's NFL. San Fran proved beyond a shadow of a doubt last year that it really pays to have 2 QBs on your team who can start for you.

If one "starting caliber" QB goes down, you have another "starting caliber" QB ready to be plugged in and the team doesn't miss a beat.

It has been repeated ad nauseum on this board that the QB is the most important position in all of football. When you have an offense that is predicated on throwing the football 40+ times a game, you can't afford to have a dropoff in productivity should one of your QBs goes down for a time, otherwise your season is effectively over.

Reid and Dorsey get this.

As fans, especially Cheifs fans, we need to rethink our conceptions of "backup" and "starting" and realizing we are entering an era of "starting caliber" QBs.

We are being built to win.

We are being built to win even in the face of adverse contingencies.

We are going to win.

And I like it.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:04 AM

I like this thread Elvis

In58men 03-05-2013 11:05 AM

Hog Farmer disagrees.

Alex Smith is our QBOTF.

......lol

Thig Lyfe 03-05-2013 11:06 AM

I hope you're right, but I fear that you're not.

Ebolapox 03-05-2013 11:08 AM

I would jizz in my pants if this were to come true.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 11:08 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1_rhMuofj1...-thumbs-up.jpg

wazu 03-05-2013 11:09 AM

I wonder if after the Raiders draft Geno we will be seeing threads about how it's not too late - the Chiefs are working on a trade for Geno. Bank on it.

Graystoke 03-05-2013 11:10 AM

http://www.lostlettermen.com/wp-cont...no-smith-1.jpg

+

http://www.hutchpost.com/wp-content/...ity_Chiefs.jpg

=

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nXgPhmECfA...s1600/Bank.jpg

Rasputin 03-05-2013 11:11 AM

Wishful thinking, but I'm hoping it becomes true to draft Geno Smith #1.

Strongside 03-05-2013 11:12 AM

I keep coming back to Geno as well. It's already been reported by multiple sources that Reid really liked him...perhaps he feels like he isn't ready to go right away and views him as a project with a ton of upside. Smith could teach him the WCO. Like it or not, if ASmith can't get it done, Geno can step in and get the crash course.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:13 AM

GENO!!!!!!

Rasputin 03-05-2013 11:14 AM

I think Geno has a shot at our #1 if he really does good and shows his stuff on our pro day with him. I forgot what date that is. Isn't it March 14?

loochy 03-05-2013 11:15 AM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu...hczno1_500.gif

Strongside 03-05-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9466862)

We will draft Bruce Lee's corpse #1. Bank on it.

KC_Lee 03-05-2013 11:16 AM

We'll know if this is true if KC sends a lot of scouts to WV's pro day on March 14th.

A God I hope we send everyone.

doomy3 03-05-2013 11:17 AM

Wait, I thought we were taking EJ Manuel?

candyman 03-05-2013 11:18 AM

I will jizz all over your face if this happens

petegz28 03-05-2013 11:18 AM

The day we signed Alex I said there was a 50-50 chance we drafted Geno or another QB and everyone was up in arms and convinced it would he Joekel. My how quick people here change.

threebag 03-05-2013 11:20 AM

Like sand through an hour glass these are the Days of Our Lives

More Geno Ballwashing.
More Alex Bashing to come.

CaliforniaChief 03-05-2013 11:20 AM

I personally think it's the right move. That said, it's in our best interest to drum up a lot of attention that we might, or that someone right behind us is.

Because if we have no intention of drafting Geno, and we can convince Arizona/Buffalo that Jacksonville would, we would have our best chance of trading down 6 or 7 spots, recouping our 2nd and much more.

I think Buffalo is the team we can entice to #1 honestly.

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9466877)
The day we signed Alex I said there was a 50-50 chance we drafted Geno or another QB and everyone was up in arms and convinced it would he Joekel. My how quick people here change.

It changes quickly based on the information at hand. After we paid for Alex, we thought (along with a lot of others) that they were going to let Albert walk and draft a LT. That changed yesterday.

Strongside 03-05-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9466881)
I personally think it's the right move. That said, it's in our best interest to drum up a lot of attention that we might, or that someone right behind us is.

Because if we have no intention of drafting Geno, and we can convince Arizona/Buffalo that Jacksonville would, we would have our best chance of trading down 6 or 7 spots, recouping our 2nd and much more.

Ideally, we create a huge smokescreen for Geno, the Raiders trade their entire draft to us for the #1 and Geno is a bust.

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:23 AM

No he isn't. You need to move on like the rest of the Chiefs fan base outside of this forum.

Chiefs are not taking a QB in the first round.

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9466881)

AZ is the most likely choice (along with them being one of the strongest arguments for needing two "starting caliber" QBs). Believe it or not, their QB situation was worse than the Chiefs last year.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:24 AM

Geno threads bring in Cockmon like flies to shit.

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9466896)
Geno threads bring in Cockmon like flies to shit.

You guys are going to ****ing explode all over the place again when they inevitably don't draft him. And after the last time, I fully expect actual suicides to take place.

I am trying to save lives.

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466894)
Believe it or not, their QB situation was worse than the Chiefs last year.

Im****ingpossible

L.A. Chieffan 03-05-2013 11:28 AM

Arent you the same one who told us to "bank" on the Chiefs selecting Manuel #1? LMAO

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466891)
No he isn't. You need to move on like the rest of the Chiefs fan base outside of this forum.

Chiefs are not taking a QB in the first round.

Have fun with Gabbert next year. But hey, at least you will be in the running for Clowney. So you have that to look forward to....

tooge 03-05-2013 11:28 AM

While I agree with your post with regards to needing two starting caliber QBs, I don't think that the chiefs are thinking this way. I still think they will take Joekel with the first pick because he will be the highest rated on the board, and they will try feverishly to trade back to a spot where they can match need with talent and pick up a pick or two along the way.

I think you are correct with your stragegy. Look what happened to the Texans two seasons ago. They lost their starter, and ended up playing unproven guys or they probably make it to the superbowl.

Having said that, I just don't think this fits what these guys will do. I think they will look for the Qb in the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe a guy like Matt Scott from Arizona or something. I just don't see them essentially giving up a first and a second this year, and next years second for one position.

HemiEd 03-05-2013 11:29 AM

I will gladly admit I was wrong if they do end up picking a QB #1, hopefully Geno Smith. I think yesterday made that possibility much stronger.

The Alex Smith trade just looked like the same old crap, just a different year with different management. If they don't take one in the first round, even trading down, well then it is the same old crap.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466902)
You guys are going to ****ing explode all over the place again when they inevitably don't draft him. And after the last time, I fully expect actual suicides to take place.

I am trying to save lives.

Gabbert is the only "Sherrif" in town in Jax next year....bank on it.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 11:30 AM

Free Agency is going to tell us a lot. If they sign a CB and a DE like Canty.......then either trading down or QB are the only logical moves.

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466908)
Have fun with Gabbert next year. But hey, at least you will be in the running for Clowney. So you have that to look forward to....

Have fun with the older version of Gabbert next year. But hey, at least you will be in the running for a 3rd/4th ranked QB next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9466912)
Gabbert is the only "Sherrif" in town in Jax next year....bank on it.

I agree. We just drafted him two years ago. I have never denied this.

CoMoChief 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

If we do, it makes the Alex Smith trade look absolutely and completely foolish

tony77 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

Makes perfect sense. Same thing Dorsey and the front office did with gb in taking rodgers.

loochy 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9466916)

THAT is what makes the Alex Smith trade look foolish?

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Which is why it will never happen. Who gives up potentially two second round picks to trade for a guy making 9 million, and then drafts a QB #1 overall lol

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

Chief fans:

Spending multiple Top 10 picks on 3-4 lineman and a 1-1 ILB....A OK!!!
Spending a 1st and 2nd on the QB position...**** NO TOOS RISKY!!!

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony77 (Post 9466919)
Makes perfect sense. Same thing Dorsey and the front office did with gb in taking rodgers.

Not even remotely close. Anyone who is trying to make that connection is ****ing dumb. Favre was ALREADY ON THE TEAM and aging when they took Rodgers with their own pick.

Alex Smith was traded for this same year Geno is in the draft, and is not in his 30s yet.

petegz28 03-05-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466887)
It changes quickly based on the information at hand. After we paid for Alex, we thought (along with a lot of others) that they were going to let Albert walk and draft a LT. That changed yesterday.

No, it's based on emotion and no one here has any patience. Remember how Clark "lied" to us because Pioli was traveling with him to interview new coaches?

And as I said the day we signed Smith, until we saw what happened with Albert there was still a good chance we were going to draft a QB and not an LT but everyone was convinced otherwise instead of just wating a little to see how things panned out.

FFS, Dane started a thread on Sunday polling people on should we fire Dorsey\Reid because they had not done anything with Bowe or Albert.

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9466907)
Arent you the same one who told us to "bank" on the Chiefs selecting Manuel #1? LMAO

Technically, no. I said, "I'm calling it now: EJ Manuel will be the #1 pick by the Chiefs"

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...ghlight=manuel

I'm changing my tune a bit. Geno had a better combine than I expected and Manuel didn't distance himself physically from the pack like I expected. If you don't ever change your mind on someone during draft season, you either don't pay attention or you are stubborn to a fault.

Chiefnj2 03-05-2013 11:34 AM

Taking a QB #1 in the draft immediately creates a QB controversy. QB controversies are a PIA for coaches and create problems at every step.

I know yesterday's moves got people excited, but they were no-brainers for a team in a win-now mode. Keeping the teams only WR and best OL isn't really rocket science.

Win now = taking a player that can help the team get to that magical 8 win season that KC fans love so much.

petegz28 03-05-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

No, it doesn't. Just because you draft a QB at #1 doesn't mean he has to start right away. Then again they may draft a QB lower as well but same thing applies.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:37 AM

We've also spent picks in round 1,2,2,3,3, bookoo FA bucks (Winston) on the OL yet morons still want Jekyll at one over using a 1 and a 2 on the QB position.

petegz28 03-05-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466928)
Not even remotely close. Anyone who is trying to make that connection is ****ing dumb. Favre was ALREADY ON THE TEAM and aging when they took Rodgers with their own pick.

Alex Smith was traded for this same year Geno is in the draft, and is not in his 30s yet.

Dude, this team has dick for veteran talent at QB ..or had dick until we traded for Smith. We had to have a QB for veteran leadership, stop-gap play and if anything backup play.

If I had to guess I feel mor secure in saying that they traded for A. Smith knowing the QB they are going to draft is going to need some bench time. It isn't like Andrew Luck is the pick this year.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 11:38 AM

Who exactly is going to help this team win now at #1?

A rookie 3-4 DE? Nope.
A rookie #2 CB? Nope.
A LT who sits on the bench? Nope.
An OLB who will rotate in? Maybe...but not much.

There is no ****ing franchise changing player that is going to step in day 1 and get this team to a Superbowl. So why not look towards your franchise's future and draft a QB that can sit and learn for a year.

Drafting a QB #1 is not going to immediately create a controversy. If we do take Geno Smith #1.....I guarantee that Reid comes out day 1 and states that Alex Smith is his starter. That effectively puts ZERO pressure on Geno Smith.

Who gives a **** if Geno Smith sits for a year. People act like rookie QBs have been starting for the last 10 years.

Radar Chief 03-05-2013 11:38 AM

Your first paragraph describes exactly why I was pissed about the AS trade, I was assuming they were going to let Albert walk and use the #1 on his replacement. Now that he’s been tagged I’m better with the trade. If they draft Geno, I’ll be ecstatic.

L.A. Chieffan 03-05-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466935)
Technically, no. I said, "I'm calling it now: EJ Manuel will be the #1 pick by the Chiefs"

I'm changing my tune a bit. Geno had a better combine than I expected and Manuel didn't distance himself physically from the pack like I expected. If you don't ever change your mind on someone during draft season, you either don't pay attention or you are stubborn to a fault.

I look forward to your thread in two weeks telling us that youre certain that some other guy will no doubt be the pick.

The Franchise 03-05-2013 11:41 AM

Trading for Alex Smith and drafting Geno Smith not only allows Andy Reid to win games and bring a winning mentality back to this team.....but also allows him to groom his QB for the long haul.

Reid is not looking to be in Kansas City for 3-4 years. He's looking to be here a lot longer.

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9466955)
Trading for Alex Smith and drafting Geno Smith not only allows Andy Reid to win games and bring a winning mentality back to this team.....but also allows him to groom his QB for the long haul.

Reid is not looking to be in Kansas City for 3-4 years. He's looking to be here a lot longer.

Then why would he need to waste a #1 overall pick on a backup when he can draft one either in the later rounds, or draft one next year, or the year after?

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466935)

So, basically, you don't know what you are taking about. Got it.

loochy 03-05-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466957)
Then why would he need to waste a #1 overall pick on a backup when he can draft one either in the later rounds, or draft one next year, or the year after?

? because alex smith is a stopgap?

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9466955)

This. Also, you can go into any thread and bet money NJ is going to have the contrarian opinion on the topic.

HemiEd 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9466936)
Taking a QB #1 in the draft immediately creates a QB controversy. QB controversies are a PIA for coaches and create problems at every step.

Normally yes, but in this case with Alex Smith only having a short time left on his contract, it helps.
1) He will be playing for his future
2) fans will know the QBoTF is in camp and getting ready to go

Quote:

I know yesterday's moves got people excited, but they were no-brainers for a team in a win-now mode. Keeping the teams only WR and best OL isn't really rocket science.

Yeah, but nobody was certain they were going to make those obvious moves. The Bowe situation had drug on for two years, and Alberts back was in question.
Quote:

Win now = taking a player that can help the team get to that magical 8 win season that KC fans love so much.

Win now has been the plan for sure, and the Alex Smith trade was clear evidence of that, and I think ownership loves it even more.
The draft will tell us what we really need to know. If it is another lineman, it is the sameol, sameol crap. If it is a QB, we have a very bright future IMO.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

You cannot be this dumb

B14ckmon 03-05-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9466972)
You cannot be this dumb

Chiefs are not drafting Geno. You need to move on. You have a family that cares about you. Think of them.

Bowser 03-05-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Becasue he loves Geno adn doesn't see him as a "backup" down the road? IIRC, Steve McNair sat the bench for his first two seasons before becoming the starter for the Titans.

Also it's very telling that they haven't restructured Alex's deal to this point. He's basically playing with us on a two year deal.

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Because Smith will get his 2nd concussion before the end of the year and placed on IR. Not to mention we have NO quarterbacks in the stable right now. Its not a waste if its a need. Jesus.

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9466954)
I look forward to your thread in two weeks telling us that youre certain that some other guy will no doubt be the pick.

Well, I look forward to your post after the draft where you say you knew it was going to be that player all along.

Bowser 03-05-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466977)
Chiefs are not drafting Geno. You need to move on. You have a family that cares about you. Think of them.

Just go get Matt Moore to teach Gabbert how to play at this level. You'll be fine.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9466977)

Probably not, but at this point the option is definately in play and worth discussing.

Shouldn't you be kicking around the next player's career that the Jags are going to ruin with the other dozen Jag fans in existence?

L.A. Chieffan 03-05-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466980)
Well, I look forward to your post after the draft where you say you knew it was going to be that player all along.

Not to brag or anything but I DID call it last year with Poe despite HARSH HARSH backlash on here weeks leading up to the actual draft. So yeah, you might want to listen to me.

Fat Elvis 03-05-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9466987)
Not to brag or anything but I DID call it last year with Poe despite HARSH HARSH backlash on here weeks leading up to the actual draft. So yeah, you might want to listen to me.

Call your shot: Right here and now.

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9466992)

Bobby Flay will lose to Anne Burrel. Again.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:52 AM

You also blow the roof off of Arrowhead by doing so.

Tru Fans got their recycled vet. Baters get their young, stud QB to take over when ready. It really is a Win/Win and we start to regain the homefield advantage that's gone to shit.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I call him mumbling something about Cassel whilst shitting his pants.

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9466997)
You also blow the roof off of Arrowhead by doing so.

Lets just blow up Arrowhead instead

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9467004)
Lets just blow up Arrowhead instead

You shut your whore mouth!!!

ptlyon 03-05-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9467005)
You shut your whore mouth!!!

The place is cursed man, I tells ya

bowener 03-05-2013 12:00 PM

Now that I sit here and read this and the responses, I think Reid/Dorsey are going for Barkley. I think they are going to try and convince a team to trade up for our pick to draft Geno, then they will slide back a bit, but still in the top 10, and take Barkley and use Alex as insurance to make sure Barkley heals properly.

RunKC 03-05-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9467020)
Now that I sit here and read this and the responses, I think Reid/Dorsey are going for Barkley. I think they are going to try and convince a team to trade up for our pick to draft Geno, then they will slide back a bit, but still in the top 10, and take Barkley and use Alex as insurance to make sure Barkley heals properly.

I can see this happening.

Chiefnj2 03-05-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9466967)
This. Also, you can go into any thread and bet money NJ is going to have the contrarian opinion on the topic.

It isn't contrarian. It's common sense a team isn't going to use the #1 pick in the draft on a player that will sit on the bench for two years, or give up two seconds for a player that will only start one year. This reminds me of the people who thought KC would take Sanchez even after giving up the 2nd for Cassel.

L.A. Chieffan 03-05-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Probably a trade back. But I wouldnt mind Joekel, or Warmack.

Just for fun we could trade with the Jets and pick up Tebow AND Revis maybe. That would shore up TWO spots and maybe even STILL get a stud OL. 9 spot is perfect, do it REID!

htismaqe 03-05-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9467037)
It isn't contrarian. It's common sense a team isn't going to use the #1 pick in the draft on a player that will sit on the bench for two years, or give up two seconds for a player that will only start one year. This reminds me of the people who thought KC would take Sanchez even after giving up the 2nd for Cassel.

ROFL

Common sense?

You mean like giving up two picks, including the #34 overall, for Alex Smith when there weren't really even other bidders?

Common sense. ROFL ROFL ROFL

bowener 03-05-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9467023)
I can see this happening.

The problem with this is, if MB throws well at his pro day, the Chiefs may drop too far and lose out on him. It would be a fun draft day if the Chiefs draft Geno and hold him hostage though. It would also be painful to see the Chiefs draft the player I want and then trade him away. Just cruel.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Yet, they'll piss it away on a doughy LT they don't need, another 3-4 end, a ****ing corner, or a reserve situational pass rusher....That would be soooo much better. Got it.

ptlyon 03-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Newsflash: Alex Smith will not be starting by week 16

The Franchise 03-05-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9467056)
Newsflash: Alex Smith will not be starting by week 16

I don't think that's the case if they draft Geno or Barkley.

For Alex to not be starting in Week 16.....we would have to be horribly bad next year.

Hootie 03-05-2013 12:17 PM

I'm not going to set myself up for another 'heartbreak'...

If we get Geno, it'll be gravy. Right now, I don't feel like that's a possibility but if it happens Christmas comes early. No need to get myself all worked up about something that probably has a 5% chance of realistically happening.