ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

chiefzilla1501 09-30-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8960552)
This is why you are full of shit.

RGIII played in a system that was every bit as QB friendly as Smith does.

JFC, where do you come up with this shit?

Do you think you'll just throw shit out there and no one will question it?

I have said this many times before. The reason I was high on RGIII is because I believed he was a gifted enough athlete to be able to use his legs not to run, but to buy time for receivers to get open.

Geno Smith is a good athlete. But he's not going to win this way. He has to be much better at reading an NFL defense out of a pro style offense than either RGIII or Big Ben had to be.

suds79 09-30-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8960540)
I like Geno Smith. I'd draft him in a heartbeat. But that does take a leap of faith that he can operate in an NFL offense, given that his system is extremely friendly to a QB.

I don't get this.

Have you seen Detriot, New Orleans, NE, Packers, (I'm sure several others I'm missing) play?

They're all running the spread. Why do you think we have so many 4000+ yard passers now a days? A lot of them are playing in the friendliest QB system around.

It's no longer a just a college offense.

milkman 09-30-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8960558)
I have said this many times before. The reason I was high on RGIII is because I believed he was a gifted enough athlete to be able to use his legs not to run, but to buy time for receivers to get open.

Geno Smith is a good athlete. But he's not going to win this way. He has to be much better at reading an NFL defense out of a pro style offense than either RGIII or Big Ben had to be.

Geno Smith isn't as fast or athletically gifted as RGIII, but his pocket awareness in more advanced and his mobility is far better than you are trying to paint it to be.

Just stop talking.

chiefzilla1501 09-30-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8960565)
I don't get this.

Have you seen Detriot, New Orleans, NE, Packers, (I'm sure several others I'm missing) play?

They're all running the spread. Why do you think we have so many 4000+ yard passers now a days? A lot of them are playing in the friendliest QB system around.

It's no longer a just a college offense.

They're running the spread. They don't run only the spread. They take plenty of snaps under center, which you have to do if you want to balance your passing game with an effective running game. In the end, you have to run a pro style offense. You want a QB that can make pre-snap reads. You want a QB with the smarts to call a play in no huddle. You want a QB who has the footwork and technique to run any play out of any formation.

I like Smith. I think he works hard, has good footwork which should translate well under center, and I think he's at least shown he can go through progressions. Right now, he's a QB who runs a scripted offense based on pre-determined reads primarily out of a shotgun. He's more advanced in reading defenses than your typical shotgun QB. But any team that drafts him does have to take a leap in faith that he can do these things even though he's never been asked to do them in college.

Ebolapox 09-30-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8959869)
No, you don't.

No team drafts back to back first round QBs.

If its ever happened, then I will admit the possibility. But it hasn't.

closest I know of is the cowboys with troy aikman and steve walsh (walsh was picked in the 1st round of the 1989 supplemental draft (aikman went in the first round of the regular 1989 draft).

chiefzilla1501 09-30-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8960568)
Geno Smith isn't as fast or athletically gifted as RGIII, but his pocket awareness in more advanced and his mobility is far better than you are trying to paint it to be.

Just stop talking.

JFC. I didn't say he wasn't athletically gifted or didn't have pocket awareness.

I am saying that RGIII and Big Ben are athletically gifted enough that they can operate in an offense that revolves around holding the ball too long. Because they have elite athletic skills to do that consistently.

Geno Smith is not that type of QB. He's going to have to be a pocket passer first and then use his mobility and pocket presence to escape out of jams.

milkman 09-30-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8960593)
JFC. I didn't say he wasn't athletically gifted or didn't have pocket awareness.

I am saying that RGIII and Big Ben are athletically gifted enough that they can operate in an offense that revolves around holding the ball too long. Because they have elite athletic skills to do that consistently.

Geno Smith is not that type of QB. He's going to have to be a pocket passer first and then use his mobility and pocket presence to escape out of jams.

You are trying to sell this stupid ****ing idea that Geno Smith doesn't have the athletic ability to make plays if he doesn't make quick reads.

That is sheer utter bullshit.

He isn't as fast or athletically gifted as RGIII, but he has enough speed and athletic ability to escape pressure and make plays outside the pocket with his arm.

You're selling bullshit, and I am not buying it.

Go sell your bullshit to whoever is stupid enough to buy it.

But stop trying to sell it to me.

I've seen Geno Smith, and I can smell your bullshit from 1500 miles away.

Bump 09-30-2012 10:27 AM

Anybody who doesn't want to draft Geno Smith right now can rot in this chiefs purgatory that we are all in anyways.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-30-2012 10:28 AM

zilla, please just stop. This is ridiculous.

notorious 09-30-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8960593)

And that's EXACTLY what wins in the NFL today.

the Talking Can 09-30-2012 10:31 AM

murray as the #1 QB?

:doh!:

Brock 09-30-2012 10:35 AM

What a dipshit.

RealSNR 09-30-2012 10:36 AM

When everybody is laughing and having a good time inside at the Geno Smith is a Chief party, zilla will be outside chewing on Murray's overrated poop nuggets

Fat Elvis 09-30-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8960526)
This is RG3 all over again.

We all love the guy's talent, think it's possible but then he plays himself out of reach for us.

Might as well start to focus on some of the other options the way I see it.

Say hello to Glen Dorsey's replacement.

RealSNR 09-30-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 8960669)
Say hello to Glen Dorsey's replacement.

Who's that? Dontari Poe?