ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What is your best managing people advice? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352772)

|Zach| 03-17-2024 06:34 PM

What is your best managing people advice?

Everyone who has become a supervisor or manager of people at any organization usually learns a lot of lessons pretty quickly.

What is wisdom you deem fit to pass along?

Katipan 03-17-2024 06:38 PM

I told a relatively famous streamer kid that worked for me, "I don't care. "

Talked to HR for 2 hours.
Shut up if you don't like paperwork.

|Zach| 03-17-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 17447958)
I told a relatively famous streamer kid that worked for me, "I don't care. "

Talked to HR for 2 hours.
Shut up if you don't like paperwork.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xT0xenqtGEK3ARxiKc" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

jwhkchawk 03-17-2024 06:42 PM

The best managers steer a group meeting to the manager’s desired outcome, but makes the group feel it’s their idea.

smithandrew051 03-17-2024 06:43 PM

Listen. Adjust to what works for people.

Firm, consistent, well known boundaries are a must.

When a situation is over, it’s over. Don’t let things get awkward after having a difficult discussion.

Bump 03-17-2024 06:45 PM

don't try to be people's buddy and treat everyone exactly the same, according to company policy.

Chieftain 03-17-2024 06:47 PM

Don't be a bossy prick. Be respectful and work through mistakes in a kind and communicative manner. Low morale is a killer in any work environment. People that work under you should feel happy and loose coming to work. Yet, at the same time, respect their workplace enough to do the work they get paid to do.
Never ever micromanage your subordinates.

cmh6476 03-17-2024 06:47 PM

Start by hiring good people. Attracting quality candidates and vetting them thoroughly and finding qualities that will fit the position well will avoid a lot of troubles later

Red Dawg 03-17-2024 06:49 PM

Information. Pass it along as to why decisions are made. Very helpful as a managing tool. Don't keep employees in dark as best you can.

grimes82 03-17-2024 06:49 PM

The most successful way to manage people is - how you treat them. Show them you care about them and relate to them. You can’t relate to everyone the same, there is no black and white clear cut way. That doesn’t mean become a pushover. You can be stearn and confident yet still show people that you care.

KCUnited 03-17-2024 06:57 PM

Develop a skill/value as an individual contributor that gets you paid like a people leader

If you can’t, then encourage autonomy and accept the role of clearing obstacles for those who know more about the day to day than you

notorious 03-17-2024 06:57 PM

Openly give credit to them when others are around.

Always have an open door.

Actively meet with each person every week to see how they are doing.

Whenever a mistake is made, work to help them fix it. People make mistakes all the time, I get pissed in private, get it out of my system, bring them in to figure out solutions.

Always move forward, don't bring up the past unless it's used to teach.

Womble 03-17-2024 06:58 PM

If you're going to bang your underlings remember to rubber up and not get caught.

PunkinDrublic 03-17-2024 06:58 PM

Antifreeze for alll those that try to challenge your authority.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-17-2024 07:04 PM

Give clear directions and timelines, trust them to complete the work, and hold them accountable if they don't. Micromanaging will destroy a team faster than anything. When your are disappointed with a result from the team, hold those accountable that didn't pull their weight, not the entire team. Many times, words of encouragement and hand written notes of thank you mean more than extra money, although if it's available, pay it to those that deserve it. Last, tell your folks it's your job to try to prepare them to be promoted. It's a win win as your team gets better so does your opportunities to advance.