ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

Deberg_1990 03-22-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4643962)
IMO the best Coen Bros. movie continues to be Miller's Crossing.

God, this debate could go on forever....

So many great flicks. I think my personal fave of theirs is Fargo or O Brother.

Baby Lee 03-22-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4643936)
I've now had a week to ponder No Country For Old Men and its ending. Sorry, but I'm still in the SUCKS ASS AND RUINED THE FILM camp.

The only problem I had with Fargo was the completely pointless, asinine subplot about the oriental guy's crush on the pregnant sheriff. What was the point of that? Seriously, what was the point? It had no bearing on anything in the rest of the story. At all. It would be like a subplot in the The Godfather where Michael banters with his dentist. There would be no point to it. But this was only a small flaw in an otherwise excellent movie, so I let it go. The Coens go off on their tangents. I can accept that.

UNLESS THE TANGENT THEY GO OFF ON RUINS THE PREVIOUS HOUR AND A HALF OF EXCELLENT MOVIE.

Sucked then, sucks now. I wish I'd never watched it. I really wish I'd never bought it.

I am curious, what exactly about the ending ruins the movie?

mrpopo 03-22-2008 10:50 AM

i wanna see michael clayton...so its recommended?

irishjayhawk 03-22-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpopo (Post 4644327)

Yes. Really good. If Javier Bardem hadn't been a lock this year for Best Supporting Actor, Mr. Wilkinson would have locked it up for Michael Clayton.

Baby Lee 03-22-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpopo (Post 4644327)

Focus on the performances. Objectively, the story is fairly 'by the book' but the performances sell a sense of authenticity and emotion that makes it seem like something more.

And to save you from racking your brain for days on end, the girl played Matthew Perry's assistant on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

Frazod 03-22-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4644312)
I am curious, what exactly about the ending ruins the movie?

See posts 97 and 104. Nothing has changed to alter my initial assessments of this movie.

LiL stumppy 03-22-2008 09:31 PM

So I think I figured out the ending to cloverfield, in the last scene before the two last people die under the bridge, and it cuts to them on the roller coaster thing, and the video camera is pointed at the scene, in the bottom left of the ocean there is a big splash. I read some places where apparently a sate light fell into the water and awoke the beast under the water. And it kind ties back to the middle of the movie where Hud out of no where starting talking about how they scientist found a fish in the ocean that they though was extinct for years. Still a horrible movie though lol.

Chiefnj2 03-24-2008 10:33 AM

I rented Gone Baby Gone. Good movie, definately worth a rental. My only complaints were that Casey Affleck was a little too cocky for his "babe in the woods" character and movies with characters with heavy south Boston accents should have subtitles.

irishjayhawk 03-24-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 4646716)
I rented Gone Baby Gone. Good movie, definately worth a rental. My only complaints were that Casey Affleck was a little too cocky for his "babe in the woods" character and movies with characters with heavy south Boston accents should have subtitles.

Ben seemed to find his forte. After this film's acclaim, his entire crew (from writers to gaffers) are returning to make another adaptation. Pardon me, but I forget what book.

Deberg_1990 03-28-2008 11:39 PM

Just watched "No Country for Old Men" tonight.

Put me in the camp with the disappointing ending. The first 1 hour and 40 minutes of this thing are classic. I couldnt take my eyes off the screen. Then comes the last 15 minutes....WTF???

Ive never seen a movie jump the rails so quick. Yes, i understand the ending, but it had zero payoff. I love the Coens, but i think they made a colossal mistake with this ending. Its like they just said "Yea, you think u know where this is headed, but fuck You"

Its a huge fuck You to the audience.

Frazod 03-28-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4655292)

Put me in the camp with the disappointing ending. The first 1 hour and 40 minutes of this thing are classic. I couldnt take my eyes off the screen. Then comes the last 15 minutes....WTF???

Ive never seen a movie jump the rails so quick. Yes, i understand the ending, but it had zero payoff. I love the Coens, but i think they made a colossal mistake with this ending. Its like they just said "Yea, you think u know where this is headed, but fuck You"

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Miles 03-28-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4647992)
Ben seemed to find his forte. After this film's acclaim, his entire crew (from writers to gaffers) are returning to make another adaptation. Pardon me, but I forget what book.

Thats good to hear. I really enjoyed Gone Baby Gone.

Miles 03-29-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

It was a shorter ending than the source but pretty faithful to it. Its defiantly a polarizing ending.

Deberg_1990 03-29-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4655308)
It was a shorter ending than the source but pretty faithful to it. Its defiantly a polarizing ending.

They should have changed it. Movies and Books are two completely different mediums obviously.

IN a book you can get away with that sort of ending. Its a more cerebral experience.

But the movie, you cant ask an audience to sit though this tight, taunt, thriller, then flip the table on them in the last few minutes....

Well u can, but the payoff better be damn good. It wasnt here. It just layed there.

KCChiefsMan 03-29-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

I respectfully disagree.

I thought the movie was great and unlike most I think the ending really made this movie. I thought the fade to black was perfect. I think the part where he was at the old guys house with all the cats kind of prepared you for ending.

I really think that not on the movie but the ending was clever. Leaves alot of room for us to talk about it. Maybe that is what they was going for. I'd rather not watch a crazy shootout in the middle of town where the main man was gunned down just so i can better understand the ending..I'd rather set back with my thoughts on what happened.

This is definately one of those movies you'd want to watch again and look for details you may have missed (I know I did).