ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Tavon Austin: "I think I'm the all-around best player in the draft." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270311)

Mr. Laz 02-23-2013 09:46 AM

Tavon Austin: "I think I'm the all-around best player in the draft."

Tavon Austin: 'I'm the all-around best player in the draft'
Robert Klemko, USA TODAY Sports5:09p.m. EST February 22, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS – Former West Virginia do-it-all wide receiver Tavon Austin says he's the best player available in the NFL draft.

He says he's the fastest player here, too.

"If we all lined up and raced, I think I'd come out on top, but I'm not really a 40 type of guy. I'm a game type of guy," Austin says. "A lot of teams are looking for the type of player who can do multiple things on the field, and I think I can be that guy.

"I think I'm the all-around best player in the draft."

COMBINE: Five players who could rise

A potential NFL slot receiver and kick returner, Austin is projected to go in the bottom of the first round in April. He models his game after Wes Welker, but says he's quicker and faster than the New England Patriots wide receiver.

Austin has yet to run a 40-yard dash or bench press 225 pounds at the scouting combine, and says his goal is to run under 4.4 and to rep 15 times. He measured in at 5-8, 174 pounds, and says his fastest-ever 40 time was 4.29 seconds.

He says he'd like to be two inches taller, but it "wasn't in God's plan." Still, he questions those who would equate his size to durability concerns.

"It shouldn't be a problem," he says. "I haven't gotten hurt or missed a game in eight years, so my durability should be really good."

Austin, who owns every major high school rushing record in Maryland, gained 4,444 career yards rushing and receiving in four seasons at West Virginia, including 1,100-plus receiving yards in his junior and senior seasons.

He grew up a fan of his hometown Baltimore Ravens and the Patriots, but says, "I'd like to go anywhere that calls my name. And hopefully I'll be there for a while."

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-23-2013 09:48 AM

I'd be for taking him at 34 provided we've got our QB

Easy 6 02-23-2013 09:49 AM

5'8 175? unless this guy is a LOCK to be the next Steve Smith, i'm really not going to be interested.

We already have a guy who's good at getting lost in a crowd of much bigger players.

Setsuna 02-23-2013 09:50 AM

According to Mayock it's Warmack. Fail Austin. Fail.

mcaj22 02-23-2013 10:09 AM

i really dont want another ****ing midget on the team,

but god damn if this dude isnt fast and we need all the speed we can get, because McCluster is slow as quicksand and this guy is basically the anti-midget McCluster

Micjones 02-23-2013 10:10 AM

I'd love to have Austin. That kid is electric.

jspchief 02-23-2013 10:12 AM

Luxury pick.

This team has too many needs to be using 2.2 on a slot receiver. It's McCluster all over again, albeit with a better version.

HoneyBadger 02-23-2013 10:14 AM

Well shit, if he says so....

Mr. Laz 02-23-2013 10:14 AM

Austin is a guy who stands to win/lose a lot at the combine.

He looks great on film but needs some help in the measurables.

He needs run a fast 40 and show great quickness in the drills.

O.city 02-23-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9427934)
Luxury pick.

This team has too many needs to be using 2.2 on a slot receiver. It's McCluster all over again, albeit with a better version.

This all over again and this.

There are going to be some really really damn good CB's available, we need a CB. Same with ILB's.

Molitoth 02-23-2013 11:01 AM

We don't need Austin, but it sure would be nice to have him.

It would've been cooler if he said he was the next best player other than Geno Smith, but I suppose Geno hasn't said anything about Austin either. I'd like to see them promote each other more.

BossChief 02-23-2013 11:10 AM

4.4 40
4flat shuttle

He gets those, he will have a chance to go in the first.

suds79 02-23-2013 11:15 AM

Of the college football I watched, never saw a bigger impact/playmaker than Austin this year.

He's Desean Jackson type of special IMO.

saphojunkie 02-23-2013 11:22 AM

The funny thing is that once we get to pick 34, I think taking a QB is irresponsible. There are too many good players there.

The best value is going QB high and then having the chance to pick first round talent guys that slip to the top of the second like Austin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9428071)
Of the college football I watched, never saw a bigger impact/playmaker than Austin this year.

He's Desean Jackson type of special IMO.

I think more and more people will think this when looking at Reid. Pair him with his QB and speed along their adjustment...

tony77 02-23-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9427879)
5'8 175? unless this guy is a LOCK to be the next Steve Smith, i'm really not going to be interested.

We already have a guy who's good at getting lost in a crowd of much bigger players.

Well it only matters if the chiefs are interested.