ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV How is Spartacus S3? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269775)

Buehler445 04-09-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9572643)
This season sucks. A lot.

Meh. It's not turrible.

Spoiler!

All in all, it had to end. And the end is a tough sell, from gladiators to all out war is tough to wrap one's head around, much less produce. And this is better than I expected.

Silock 04-09-2013 09:14 PM

Tiberius bending Caesar over was the shark jumping moment of the series. Just awful.

Buehler445 04-10-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9573635)
Tiberius bending Caesar over was the shark jumping moment of the series. Just awful.

Yeah. That was awful.

Frazod 04-10-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9574153)
Yeah. That was awful.

Certainly unexpected, though.

Buehler445 04-10-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9574232)
Certainly unexpected, though.

I watch the show with my buddy that has Starz and I told him at the time that it would take way more than 2 dudes to hold me down. Them 3 ****ers would have been corpses in my current state, much less if I were a ****ing Roman Soldier.

Silock 04-10-2013 04:22 PM

Plus it was Gaius Julius Caesar. One of the baddest mother****ers in HISTORY. No way he lets that happen unless he wants to. Although history says he was bi. He certainly wouldn't have allowed himself to be raped though.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9573635)

ROFL I was like what the **** is this???? Damn, that was dumb.

WhiteWhale 04-11-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9575451)
Plus it was Gaius Julius Caesar. One of the baddest mother****ers in HISTORY. No way he lets that happen unless he wants to. Although history says he was bi. He certainly wouldn't have allowed himself to be raped though.

Yes.. of course ALL of the stuff that disparages him in that way comes from the writing of his political enemies. I'm not sure it's so reliable.

It should be noted in Roman culture was much different about sexuality.

Taking it in the butt made you submissive and feminine and was looked down upon. Sticking it in a man's butt was not considered a big deal at all and would have never drawn a comment from other romans. That he was submissive to the advances of a man IS what 'history' says. Though again, it's just as likely simple slander.

He really shouldn't even be in the damn show, because he was a child at the time of the 3rd servile war.

Frazod 04-11-2013 01:34 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Caesar survives the final battle.

Silock 04-11-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9578148)
Yes.. of course ALL of the stuff that disparages him in that way comes from the writing of his political enemies. I'm not sure it's so reliable.

Taking it in the butt made you submissive and feminine and was looked down upon. Sticking it in a man's butt was not considered a big deal at all and would have never drawn a comment from other romans. That he was submissive to the advances of a man IS what 'history' says. Though again, it's just as likely simple slander.

He really shouldn't even be in the damn show, because he was a child at the time of the 3rd servile war.

Yeah, but they also made up Tiberius completely, so . . . Lol

Agreed re: roman sexuality

mr. tegu 12-31-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9578148)

I have just gotten through the first five episodes of this season. The story telling and character suspense isn't nearly as good as before but it is still a fun show to watch. I am excited to finish out the series as it is getting tense wondering how they will begin to kill off the main gladiators.

About the bold, I am not sure why you say that. Caesar was born around 100 BC and Spartacus died in 71 BC. The actor playing Caesar is about the perfect age. Granted, it doesn't appear that Caesar had anything to do with Crassus until much later, so in that sense he didn't really belong, but his portrayed age and character does fit as far as the timeline goes.

listopencil 12-31-2013 05:05 PM

Well that's too bad. I only watched the original episodes (with Andy Whitfield) and enjoyed those quite a bit. The show has sort of a special place in my heart. It popped up on NetFlix and I gave it a try while I was trying to distract myself from the death of my wife. Imagine my surprise when I found out that he died just a few few months before my wife did, also from Cancer. So I'll just leave it as it is. Whitfield will be Spartacus to me and I don't need to watch any of the other stuff.

Easy 6 12-31-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10324454)
I have just gotten through the first five episodes of this season. The story telling and character suspense isn't nearly as good as before but it is still a fun show to watch. I am excited to finish out the series as it is getting tense wondering how they will begin to kill off the main gladiators.

About the bold, I am not sure why you say that. Caesar was born around 100 BC and Spartacus died in 71 BC. The actor playing Caesar is about the perfect age. Granted, it doesn't appear that Caesar had anything to do with Crassus until much later, so in that sense he didn't really belong, but his portrayed age and character does fit as far as the timeline goes.

Yeah, the new guy was no Andy Whitfield and the show overall just wasn't as good in the third season... having said that it was still one of the best things on tv.

lcarus 03-26-2014 07:15 PM

I finally finished this series. I enjoyed the final 2 seasons a lot. I really missed Whitfield, but obviously there wasn't a whole lot they could do about that. The replacement guy was ok. I actually liked him a whole lot better than the replacement actress for Naevia. Good god I disliked her, and I disliked the direction they took the character.

I also hated the inclusion of Julius Caesar and the scene where....you know. It was just pointless for shock value. I thought I'd dislike the final 2 seasons without either John Hannah or Andy Whitfield, but luckily there was still Crixus and Gannicus. I ended up caring more about Gannicus than Spartacus towards the end.

ThaVirus 03-26-2014 07:19 PM

Damn, this show is still going on?

I've only watched the first season with Spartacus and, I guess, the second with Gannicus.