ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

wildcat09 10-21-2009 08:18 PM

Anyone had Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis?? Mighty good ribs

ChiefsCountry 10-21-2009 08:18 PM

I love Gates, mainly bc of their sauce. Bandana's for a chain isn't too bad, when you aren't in Kansas City.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 6194697)

10) I've been to Snead's, but that was three or four years ago. It's very good. The out of town locations like Bates City BBQ or places in Lawrence or Excelsior Springs (for example) are hard for most KC residents to judge, because they're quite far out of the way.

Wabash BBQ in my hometown of Excelsior Springs. It is so terrible now. In the late 90's it was FABULOUS. Impeccable ribs. It is an over-smoked husk of its former self these days.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-21-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6194485)
I like knowing that I can score some rocks within three blocks of a BBQ joint. That's the truly authentic KC experience.

ROFL It's funny because it's true.

Silock 10-21-2009 09:16 PM

Oklahoma Joe's. Even Anthony Bourdain agrees, saying it's one of the 13 places in the WORLD you must eat before you die. This list includes some of the best restaurants in the world, like elBulli, St. John and Etxebarri. Pretty ringing endorsement.

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/...re_You_Die.php

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6194861)
Oklahoma Joe's. Even Anthony Bourdain agrees, saying it's one of the 13 places in the WORLD you must eat before you die. This list includes some of the best restaurants in the world, like elBulli, St. John and Etxebarri. Pretty ringing endorsement.

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/...re_You_Die.php

That list is so good. Its a nice mix of places that all food people know, tiny places that people only know about, by-and-large, because of Bourdain, and small places that really represent a city (like Ok Joe's and Hot Doug's).

sportsman1 10-21-2009 09:22 PM

I can't even try Oklahoma Joes for one simple reason. It is called Oklahoma Joe's. I hate that place (the state) so much, and can't stand to see anything named Oklahoma associated with the best in Kansas City BBQ. So what is the story? Why is it named that. Enlighten the prejudiced one.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsman1 (Post 6194871)
I can't even try Oklahoma Joes for one simple reason. It is called Oklahoma Joe's. I hate that place (the state) so much, and can't stand to see anything named Oklahoma associated with the best in Kansas City BBQ. So what is the story? Why is it named that. Enlighten the prejudiced one.

Post #77 in this very thread has your answer. To repost:

Oklahoma Joe's is so-named because owner Jeff Stehney (a KC man) first used an Oklahoma Joe brand smoker when he started competing. Through this, Jeff became friends with the owner of the brand. They decided to go into the restaurant business together. One Oklahoma Joe's was opened in Stillwater (HQ of the smoker compnay) and another in KCK. When the owner of the smoker brand sold the company some short time later the Stillwater branch was closed down. All of which is to say that I don't consider the restaurant to be Oklahoman in any respect. Its Jeff's food.

sportsman1 10-21-2009 09:30 PM

Thanks.. good to know. Sorry I missed #77.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsman1 (Post 6194889)
Thanks.. good to know. Sorry I missed #77.

I don't blame you. I forgot that it was in this thread. I went to search up my answer instead of re-typing it and found that it was in this thread from earlier in the year.

Hammock Parties 10-21-2009 09:36 PM

I've had Gates, Stack and KC Masterpiece.

Stack won out by far. In fact, I am definitely going to order some of their shit.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6194911)

Stack won out by far. In fact, I am definitely going to order some of their shit.

Next time you come to KC, GoChiefs, you will dine better. I will make sure of it.

dirk digler 10-21-2009 09:50 PM

I love Oklahoma Joe's. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I like it alot better than Jack Stack's.

Hammock Parties 10-21-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6194969)
I love Oklahoma Joe's. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I like it alot better than Jack Stack's.

It sounds like OJ's will have to be next.

BigRedChief 10-21-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6194911)

WTF did you go to KC masterpiece?