ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music The Doors: 1968 Hollywood Bowl (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270722)

Stewie 03-04-2013 05:51 PM

The Doors: 1968 Hollywood Bowl

I DVRed it over the weekend. Not only is it a great show, but the sound mixing is perfect. It transcends through the digital world we live in now.

threebag 03-04-2013 05:59 PM

“I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us.”

James Douglas Morrison

Rock Action 03-04-2013 06:00 PM

Superb show, glad to see it finally get a proper treatment.

Rasputin 03-04-2013 06:02 PM

Awesome love the Doors

ZepSinger 03-04-2013 09:37 PM

awesome show.

DaneMcCloud 03-05-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9464582)
I DVRed it over the weekend. Not only is it a great show, but the sound mixing is perfect. It transcends through the digital world we live in now.

Dude, no offense, but it's been digitally remixed and remastered. If it hadn't, it would have sounded like pure and utter dogshit.

If you don't believe me, here's a link.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-d...t-the-bowl-68/

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2013 02:59 PM

Hey Stewie, I just looked it up and the concert on Palladia is the remastered version.

The original VHS can still be found on eBay and Amazon but what they're airing is the new version.

It's showing again later in March so be sure to set your DVR. I will for sure and thanks for the heads up!

:D

Stewie 03-08-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9467369)
Dude, no offense, but it's been digitally remixed and remastered. If it hadn't, it would have sounded like pure and utter dogshit.

If you don't believe me, here's a link.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-d...t-the-bowl-68/

That article doesn't say anything about turning dogshit into gold.

I saw this concert long before the transformation to digital and it's just as good. I'm not sure where you came up with your opinion on it vs. previous analog versions. It wasn't dogshit in 1985 on tape.

My point was that the new digitization held up the analog integrity... especially Manzerek's, Krieger's and Densmore's subtleties as musicians.

Stewie 03-08-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9477533)
Hey Stewie, I just looked it up and the concert on Palladia is the remastered version.

The original VHS can still be found on eBay and Amazon but what they're airing is the new version.

It's showing again later in March so be sure to set your DVR. I will for sure and thanks for the heads up!

:D

Cool. We'll just agree that this is a great concert that Manzarek had the forethought to film.

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9477546)
That article doesn't say anything about turning dogshit into gold.

I saw this concert long before the transformation to digital and it's just as good. I'm not sure where you came up with your opinion on it vs. previous analog versions. It wasn't dogshit in 1985 on tape.

My point was that the new digitization held up the analog integrity... especially Manzerek's, Krieger's and Densmore's subtleties as musicians.

Dude, analog tapes transferred to digital from that era are ridiculously noisy. There's hiss and hum and buzz and digital only exacerbates that noise. It's not that what was recorded was poor or bad or wrong, it's the tape medium that's at issue.

That's why nearly every record from the 60's, 70's and 80's has been meticulously re-mastered for the digital medium. For one, analog tape degrades with every single pass on the heads. For a digital transfer to occur, tapes have to be baked in an over at a certain temperature, even tapes that have been in humidity free vaults for decades, or the tape would shed and crumble.

Every mastering engineer, or in this case, Bruce Botnick, a famed recording engineer, takes great care in preserving the original sound. There are all kinds of De-Humming, De-Noising, De-Buzzing and similar noise reduction programs that can remove all of the noise without destroying the audio but even they need to be used carefully, as to not destroy the integrity of the original recording.

This process can take months, even years (look no further than the Beatles catalog remasters at Abbey Roads) but this art has been nearly perfected.

It's not called the National Academy of Recordings Arts and Sciences for nothing. :D

Stewie 03-08-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9477795)
Dude, analog tapes transferred to digital from that era are ridiculously noisy. There's hiss and hum and buzz and digital only exacerbates that noise. It's not that what was recorded was poor or bad or wrong, it's the tape medium that's at issue.

That's why nearly every record from the 60's, 70's and 80's has been meticulously re-mastered for the digital medium. For one, analog tape degrades with every single pass on the heads. For a digital transfer to occur, tapes have to be baked in an over at a certain temperature, even tapes that have been in humidity free vaults for decades, or the tape would shed and crumble.

Every mastering engineer, or in this case, Bruce Botnick, a famed recording engineer, takes great care in preserving the original sound. There are all kinds of De-Humming, De-Noising, De-Buzzing and similar noise reduction programs that can remove all of the noise without destroying the audio but even they need to be used carefully, as to not destroy the integrity of the original recording.

This process can take months, even years (look no further than the Beatles catalog remasters at Abbey Roads) but this art has been nearly perfected.

It's not called the National Academy of Recordings Arts and Sciences for nothing. :D

So, why is my VHS tape of the concert not a whole lot different than the remastered digital version?

BlackHelicopters 03-08-2013 04:54 PM

Did JDM drink or do drugs?

Stewie 03-08-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9477811)
Did JDM drink or do drugs?

He was a drunk. I've heard he was allergic to alcohol and within 2-3 drinks he'd turn into a monster. I'm not sure I believe that. He had demons, for sure.

He came from a strict upbringing. His dad was a rear admiral in the Navy.

BlackHelicopters 03-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9477816)
He was a drunk. I've heard he was allergic to alcohol and within 2-3 drinks he'd turn into a monster. I'm not sure I believe that. He had demons, for sure.

He came from a strict upbringing. His dad was a rear admiral in the Navy.

SMH

DaneMcCloud 03-08-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9477808)
So, why is my VHS tape of the concert not a whole lot different than the remastered digital version?

Because VHS players had built-in noise reduction circuits and used analog connections. If you were to transfer that VHS into a digital audio work station, all of the noise and artifacts would be revealed, especially after the gain has been raised to the decibel level that's standard today.

A good example would be to take a CD from the 80's (non-remastered version - original transfer), put it on your stereo, then pop in a CD or audio file from 2012. What you'd hear is that the newer CD is anywhere from 6-12 decibels louder and has much more bottom end. That's because analog tape could only be pushed so hard before distorting.

Also, LP's (albums) were mastered with far less bass because more bass would make the needle from your phonograph jump out its grooves. That's why everyone had big giant speakers with 10", 12" or 15" speakers in their home stereo whereas today, you can get a giant, full sound from a docking station or even decent mini-headphones. Digital has allowed recording engineers the ability to raise the signal to close to zero DB and include a ton of bass because there is no needle necessary.