ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Royals sign Jeremy Guthrie (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266872)

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 10:20 AM

Royals sign Jeremy Guthrie

Jeremy Guthrie ‏@TheRealJGuts

3 more years in Kansas City! I couldn't be more pleased & excited! Thanks to the Royals & all the great fans for your support.👑

BlackHelicopters 11-20-2012 10:21 AM

I am happy but shocked. Another front line starter please.

Deberg_1990 11-20-2012 10:22 AM

OK...Bravo :clap:

Codered 11-20-2012 10:23 AM

Guthrie, Santana, and ?? It's atleast a step in the right direction.

Kraus 11-20-2012 10:26 AM

Nice. It is a start.

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 10:27 AM

Very pleased. If he pitches like he did when we acquired him, that's a great move.

If not, it's still great for trying.

Now we just need one more starter. FA/trade.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 10:27 AM

Don't like that third year.

BlackHelicopters 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9136204)
Don't like that third year.

We likely had to include third year to get him to stay. Guessing.

Stewie 11-20-2012 10:35 AM

I'm surprised and pleased!

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 10:43 AM

Bob Dutton ‏@Royals_Report

Terms on Guthrie's new contract with #Royals: three years for $25 million; $5 million in 2013; $11 million in 2014; $9 million in 2015.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9136212)
We likely had to include third year to get him to stay. Guessing.

Well, yeah (although Moore is notorious for misreading the market).

The question is: Is Guthrie worth 3 years?

A lot depends on what the salary numbers are. I like the guy, and I wanted him back, preferably at two years. I don't think he's a must-have at three years, considering his age.

OTOH, if this means Luke Hochevar is non-tendered, I'll take it.

KevB 11-20-2012 10:46 AM

Happy we're continuing to address the problem, hope that we aren't finished. We still haven't traded anything on the farm, so I have to believe there's one more move in that direction.

Lex Luthor 11-20-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9136241)
Well, yeah (although Moore is notorious for misreading the market).

The question is: Is Guthrie worth 3 years?

A lot depends on what the salary numbers are. I like the guy, and I wanted him back, preferably at two years. I don't think he's a must-have at three years, considering his age.

OTOH, if this means Luke Hochevar is non-tendered, I'll take it.

If that happens, I'll love this signing.

If it doesn't, I still like it.

BlackHelicopters 11-20-2012 10:47 AM

I hope Guthrie figured it out. Odd structure in last two years leads me to believe he will be gone by trade deadline in 2014. I am optimistic, but also realistic. I hope I am wrong.

KevB 11-20-2012 10:47 AM

I think most believed 3 for 24 was what it would take to sign him, and it's right on that number. Not a terrible deal, but as SK said, we might not be thrilled during his age 36 season.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9136240)

Terms on Guthrie's new contract with #Royals: three years for $25 million; $5 million in 2013; $11 million in 2014; $9 million in 2015.

And just as I posted my thoughts, this comes up.

That doesn't strike me as bad at all. He takes less money in 2013 to accommodate Santana's contract. Assume Santana is gone after next year, that frees up $12 million, basically Guthrie takes that spot and the Royals might be counting on in-house guys (Paulino, Duffy, Odorizzi, etc.) to help fill out the staff in 2014.

I'd still like to see a No. 1 or 2 type acquired to anchor the rotation the next 3 years or beyond.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 10:48 AM

I like it.

Bringing back Guthrie is a big step, and I'm interested to see how that third year is arranged. (EDIT: Jeremy Guthrie's deal is 3 years, $25 million according to Bob Dutton)

So, we know the rotation is going to include:

Santana
Guthrie

With Chen and Mendoza both in the running for a likely rotation spot. Hopefully, this signals the end for Luke Hochevar or a non-tender offer for Luke Hochevar.

tomahawk kid 11-20-2012 10:48 AM

Boy, if they could just bring in one more frontliner - that might be enough to compete assuming Santana is servicable.

Marcum maybe? Hometown kid - coming off injury, would probably sign at a discount.

KevB 11-20-2012 10:49 AM

For reference, 2012 pitcher salaries (keep in mind, this doesn't account for years on each player's deal - some better than others):

pitcher salaries

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 10:50 AM

I am now going to move on to dreaming about a trade for David Price...

Saul Good 11-20-2012 10:51 AM

I like it. The third year may signal that we are serious about doing what it takes given the reality of free agency.

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9136268)
I am now going to move on to dreaming about a trade for David Price...

FAP City

We've got all our major trade pieces still in hand.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 10:58 AM

Always liked Jeremy Glad he got a good deal.

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9136240)

Damn I'm good:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9069450)
And that's not even getting into Guthrie, who I really do think the Royals should bring back (3/$24 mil should do it; he's a nice pitcher).

They had to give a little more to backload the first year, it would appear.

You'd have loved to have only had to go 2 for him, but that wasn't terribly realistic. If the Royals wanted another reliable pitcher off the FA market with any track record at all, he was going to want 3 years.

Toadkiller 11-20-2012 11:02 AM

If it pushes Luke off the team I am all for it. Also the low first year leaves money for another starter this year.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 11:04 AM

As expected, Royals Review is melting down about this.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 11:08 AM

greg schaum greg schaum ‏@Greg_Schaum

Plenty smoke KC not done- TB a hot team for KC- Shields, Archer, Colome, Markel and INF Lee mentioned ( Hosmer and/ or Myers would go)

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9136322)
greg schaum greg schaum ‏@Greg_Schaum

Plenty smoke KC not done- TB a hot team for KC- Shields, Archer, Colome, Markel and INF Lee mentioned ( Hosmer and/ or Myers would go)

Hosmer for Shields and Archer would be a decent deal.

Really though, if the Royals are going to deal Hosmer, I would think they could get Hellickson for him.

Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer would be a really nice deal for the Royals and it would be a pretty smart move for the Rays as well.

Codered 11-20-2012 11:15 AM

Bob Dutton‏@Royals_Report

#Royals GM Dayton Moore says any further additions will likely require corresponding payroll-clearing moves.

Like the Royals are spending too much money ... Give me a break!

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 11:16 AM

#Royals GM Dayton Moore says any further additions will likely require corresponding payroll-clearing moves.

This is Just sad

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9136340)

They can clear payroll by dumping Hochevar and Volstad.

ChiefMojo 11-20-2012 11:22 AM

Good re-sign. So far the staff is becoming quite solid. Not great but a step in the right direction. Still work to be done for sure!

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 11:22 AM

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale

You know it's a good time to be a free-agent pitcher when Jeremy Guthrie lands 3-year, $25 million deal from #Royals.

Chiefspants 11-20-2012 11:28 AM

Nice! I had been worried that the Royals wouldn't get this done. This shows that the team possesses a willingness to compete, and, at worst, the rotation will look something like this by the end of 2013.

Guthrie
Santana
Duffy
Odorizzi
Paulino/Mendoza/Smith/Chen (In order of potential)

Compared to past incarnations of Royals' pitching staffs, this could be mint.

BWillie 11-20-2012 11:31 AM

I'll take it, but what I will say is that in the middle of the season last year, he was traded for Sanchez. I mean he was really playing bad and to his credit he did turn it around. I sure hope that 3rd year he can still play. Dude will be 34 next year when the season starts. Bruce Chen was 35 this year and he didn't seem to have it anymore.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136338)
Hosmer for Shields and Archer would be a decent deal.

Really though, if the Royals are going to deal Hosmer, I would think they could get Hellickson for him.

Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer would be a really nice deal for the Royals and it would be a pretty smart move for the Rays as well.

I could stomach Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer. Hosmer for Hellickson straight-up would be tough to take.

I'm not a huge believer in Hellickson's ability to outpitch his peripherals long-term.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 11:56 AM

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Guthrie lifetime 55-77 with 4.28 ERA...led leagues in losses twice (09 & 11) career WHIP of 1.31 KC continue to load up on back end starters

Ebolapox 11-20-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9136434)

Guthrie lifetime 55-77 with 4.28 ERA...led leagues in losses twice (09 & 11) career WHIP of 1.31 KC continue to load up on back end starters

4.28 ERA is our ace, sadly enough. I'd take that all freaking day long.

KevB 11-20-2012 12:01 PM

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Hearing solid reviews of the Royals' three-year, $25m deal with Guthrie from rival execs. They think it's a fair price, given the market.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 12:03 PM

After the acquisition of Santana and agreement with Guthrie...Royals show they are determined to not be the A's or O's of 2013 #$38million$$

What did the Royals do to Jim Bowden?

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9136433)
I could stomach Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer. Hosmer for Hellickson straight-up would be tough to take.

I'm not a huge believer in Hellickson's ability to outpitch his peripherals long-term.

You have to trust his stuff over his peripherals.

I had a long-ass post on this very thing in the other Royals thread when you were asking what tradeable assets the Royals had...before a crybaby **** of a mod banned me and I couldn't get it posted. The exact proposal was Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer.

My position was that Hosmer has 2 years of service time and is a Borass client. Hellickson has 2 years as well. Borass won't allow his client to extend in KC before his FA period, so you're looking at having to shop him in 2 or 3 seasons anyway.

I know it sucks to have to view the world that way, but I like Myers and Moose's upside more and those are guys the Royals will have to throw a bunch of money at to extend. Can they do that AND sign Hosmer out of the FA market? It sure seems unlikely.

So why not deal him for a power-armed starter that's proven to be durable and has definite #2 starter stuff.

You argue that Hellickson outpitches his peripherals when I think there's a sound argument to be made that Hellickson's peripherals simply don't match his ability. He should be as good as his ERA indicates. His stuff absolutely allows for that. With some adjustments in his approach and refinement to his breaking stuff, he has ace-caliber upside. Better still, he has youth on his side and plenty of time to reach that upside still.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9136434)

Guthrie has been a league-average pitcher over the course of his career, pitching in the toughest division in baseball and in a home hitter's park.

I expect he'll end up around a 3.75-4.00 ERA, with 200 IP, playing for KC in this park.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136462)

I had a long-ass post on this very thing in the other Royals thread when you were asking what tradeable assets the Royals had...before a crybaby **** of a mod banned me and I couldn't get it posted. The exact proposal was Hosmer for Hellickson and Archer.

My position was that Hosmer has 2 years of service time and is a Borass client. Hellickson has 2 years as well. Borass won't allow his client to extend in KC before his FA period, so you're looking at having to shop him in 2 or 3 seasons anyway.

I know it sucks to have to view the world that way, but I like Myers and Moose's upside more and those are guys the Royals will have to throw a bunch of money at to extend. Can they do that AND sign Hosmer out of the FA market? It sure seems unlikely.

So why not deal him for a power-armed starter that's proven to be durable and has definite #2 starter stuff.

You argue that Hellickson outpitches his peripherals when I think there's a sound argument to be made that Hellickson's peripherals simply don't match his ability. He should be as good as his ERA indicates. His stuff absolutely allows for that. With some adjustments in his approach and refinement to his breaking stuff, he has ace-caliber upside. Better still, he has youth on his side and plenty of time to reach that upside still.

I missed that. Hellickson/Archer is a nice pairing.

Hosmer actually has 5 years of service time left, though. Which adds a bit to his value, especially for a team like the A's.

I was a HUGE Hellickson fan for a long time. In fact, during Greinke trade proposals, he was my favorite primary pitching return (Jordan Zimmermann in Washington a close second).

I'm just terrified he's a white version of Jair Jurrjens.

alnorth 11-20-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9136340)

We'll save a lot of money when we dump Hoch.

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9136474)
I missed that. Hellickson/Archer is a nice pairing.

Hosmer actually has 5 years of service time left, though. Which adds a bit to his value, especially for a team like the A's.

I was a HUGE Hellickson fan for a long time. In fact, during Greinke trade proposals, he was my favorite primary pitching return (Jordan Zimmermann in Washington a close second).

I'm just terrified he's a white version of Jair Jurrjens.

Jair Jurrjens couldn't bring Hell-Boy's heat.

And at this point the Royals may just have to worry about Eric Hosmer being a white version of Ken Harvey.

alnorth 11-20-2012 12:11 PM

Not only is 3/25 a very reasonable deal, its also very backloaded. Given that we can clear a lot of dead payroll very easily, we should still have a decent chunk of money to spend.

alnorth 11-20-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
KC is two-thirds of its way to acquiring the veteran starting pitching it aimed for. Their plan is to trade minor-leaguers to get last SP.
We may soon lose somebody that a lot of fans wont want to lose, maybe Hosmer and/or Wil Myers. There is a LOT of smoke coming out of Tampa.

ChiefsCountry 11-20-2012 12:15 PM

If David Price is coming to Kansas City I could live with giving up some players.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136484)
Jair Jurrjens couldn't bring Hell-Boy's heat.

And at this point the Royals may just have to worry about Eric Hosmer being a white version of Ken Harvey.

Ha. Rep.

Serious possible comp for Hosmer, though: Casey Kotchman. Similar profiles (heck, they both were even hard-throwing HS pitchers). Kotchman's power never transferred to game.

The other end of the spectrum, I think, is Justin Morneau pre-injury. High average, good power, etc.

DeezNutz 11-20-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9136501)
We may soon lose somebody that a lot of fans wont want to lose, maybe Hosmer and/or Wil Myers. There is a LOT of smoke coming out of Tampa.

Hosmer, good-bye. Wish you well, dude. Butler's bat is proven, and I can live with his butchery at first, since Hosmer's glove was more fool's gold than anything.

If DM trades Myers, however, I'm going to come un****ingglued.

alnorth 11-20-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9136506)
If David Price is coming to Kansas City I could live with giving up some players.

heh, no kidding. I'm sure the Rays will hang on to that one.

Tampa has pitchers coming out of their ears and a weak offense, so they are a natural trading partner.

alnorth 11-20-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9136536)
Hosmer, good-bye. Wish you well, dude. Butler's bat is proven, and I can live with his butchery at first, since Hosmer's glove was more fool's gold than anything.

Thats probably the holdup. Tampa covets Myers, and we've probably been trying to get them to settle on Hosmer instead.

I'd REALLY rather see Myers in RF at the end of May than Frenchy.

KevB 11-20-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

I'm worried that if they trade Hos, we'll put Myers at first, leave Billy at DH and then that justifies (in DM's mind) keeping Frenchy in right.

DeezNutz 11-20-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9136566)
I'm worried that if they trade Hos, we'll put Myers at first, leave Billy at DH and then that justifies (in DM's mind) keeping Frenchy in right.

Oh, ****. Hadn't even considered this potential cluster****, but it sounds very Daytonish.

Thanks for this.

teedubya 11-20-2012 12:34 PM

IMO, this is awesome. He pitched LIGHTS OUT... and he WANTED TO STAY in Kansas City. That is a good sign to help get other FA's here.

SAUTO 11-20-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

THIS

tk13 11-20-2012 12:41 PM

At this point I'm okay with trading whoever we have to trade for pitching, as long as its a fair deal. If that means Myers, so be it. This team is not going to win jack without more pitching. It just isn't... otherwise we're spinning our wheels with a lot of shiny offensive toys.

That said, I'm not nearly as down on Hosmer as everyone else.
Posted via Mobile Device

Codered 11-20-2012 12:45 PM

The Royals need pitching ... That much is obvious. I would prefer they traded Hosmer, but there is a lot of smoke arround Myers.

I just hope it's for more then Hellickson like heavily rumored.

Saul Good 11-20-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136462)

Who banned you and why?

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 01:19 PM

We've said all along that we're going to have to part with some highly touted stud minor leaguers to flip them for proven talent.

This is particularly true in our situation, where we need pitching. Look at San Francisco and the garbage they ran out at many positions, only to beast through pitching.

If we have to trade Myers, fine. You can get serviceable outfielders a lot easier than a stud starting pitcher. We've got Cain and Gordon already. Hell, David Glass should just blow himself up and give us Josh Hamilton in right. LMAO

In all seriousness, I'm ok with flipping young talent if we get good pitching.

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9136662)
Who banned you and why?

I dunno who, the why is because he's a bleeding vag.

I 'bypassed the profanity filter' when I posted the Jackie Chan shrugging picture that said "what the **** is this?" Some noob said something nonsensical in the 'new' gas price thread.

I disabled my profanity filter; it never even crossed my mind. People type '****', I see it. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced I haven't seen that image used several times (that's why I went looking for it).

I was quite a bit pissed, to tell you the truth. I'm not a shit disturber and I didn't get so much as a warning. I was literally typing a post when the ban order went in and when I hit submit it told me I was banned.

Like I said in the FFB thread - this is a board that makes light of children being eaten by dogs, wishes AIDS on people and has an entire thread dedicated to the MS Paint modifications of hardcore porn. I think we ought use a little discretion in decided when to boot someone. Afterall, I can post this:

With no repercussions but if I post a picture that says '****' in it, I get banned...because evidently '****' is going to get you in trouble with your boss whereas a 19 yr old dancing in her underwear won't.

Whatever, some mods are just jackasses, the end.

Saul Good 11-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136763)

I 'bypassed the profanity filter' when I posted the Jackie Chan shrugging picture that said "what the **** is this?" Some noob said something nonsensical in the 'new' gas price thread.

I disabled my profanity filter; it never even crossed my mind. People type '****', I see it. Frankly, I'm not at all convinced I haven't seen that image used several times (that's why I went looking for it).

I was quite a bit pissed, to tell you the truth. I'm not a shit disturber and I didn't get so much as a warning. I was literally typing a post when the ban order went in and when I hit submit it told me I was banned.

Like I said in the FFB thread - this is a board that makes light of children being eaten by dogs, wishes AIDS on people and has an entire thread dedicated to the MS Paint modifications of hardcore porn. I think we ought use a little discretion in decided when to boot someone. Afterall, I can post this:

With no repercussions but if I post a picture that says '****' in it, I get banned...because evidently '****' is going to get you in trouble with your boss whereas a 19 yr old dancing in her underwear won't.

I'm spending more time over at shaggy bevo lately, and I don't even like Texas. Shit, all they do is complain about the SEC and aTm, and it's still a lot more entertaining than this place anymore.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136763)

People told me if I voted for a Republican for president that we'd get ridiculous censorship in America. And they were right!

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9136563)
Thats probably the holdup. Tampa covets Myers, and we've probably been trying to get them to settle on Hosmer instead.

I'd REALLY rather see Myers in RF at the end of May than Frenchy.

If they offer Moore and Archer for Myers, do you bite?

That's a tough 'no' vote, isn't it? You get a #1 starter and probable #3 starter for the next 5 years without touching a starter off last year's offense (an offense that was pretty decent as the season went along).

I know everyone's immediate reaction is to just shout 'no!' and move along, but it's a closer call than it seems, IMO. The Royals are going to struggle to get an ace in here and up to speed before they have to worry about getting guys like Moose and Hosmer re-signed. They can't let this window close on them.

If they can get an immediate injection of premier young pitching to go with their good young hitters, it's a thought they have to consider.

I still think they're better off going with a Hosmer/Hellickson duo, but if Myers/Moore is all they can get done, I think they have to consider it.

HemiEd 11-20-2012 01:49 PM

It has been a long time since I was excited about the upcoming baseball season in November.

That would probably mean the Chiefs suck ass, and the Royals are a contender again.

It must be the 80s all over again, bring on April!

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 01:52 PM

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Teams that have been talking to #Royals say they're not done shopping for starting pitchers but now more likely to go young than another vet

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 01:59 PM

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

I don't see them dealing Myers to Rays or anyone else. RT @chanutehawk: @jaysonst @SeaTownsFinest1 Wil Myers to tampa seems more likely.

DJ's left nut 11-20-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9136507)
Ha. Rep.

Serious possible comp for Hosmer, though: Casey Kotchman. Similar profiles (heck, they both were even hard-throwing HS pitchers). Kotchman's power never transferred to game.

The other end of the spectrum, I think, is Justin Morneau pre-injury. High average, good power, etc.

I swear to you...SWEAR to you, that I did not do this in advance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arveke01.shtml

Look at his #1 most comparable hitter.

No shit. If that doesn't worry you, nothing should.

CoMoChief 11-20-2012 02:19 PM

I'm not gonna give 2 shits about the Royals until they start playing over .500 ball.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136865)
I swear to you...SWEAR to you, that I did not do this in advance.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arveke01.shtml

Look at his #1 most comparable hitter.

No shit. If that doesn't worry you, nothing should.

Meh, Hosmer's 2011 was better than anything Harvey did. Hos was a ML regular at 21, Harvey at 25. Etc.

It just depends on which Hosmer you think is the true Hos: 2011 or 2012. It's distressing that he backslid so much his second year, but I'm less concerned than if 2012 were his rookie year. I still think he can bounce back and hit .300 with 25-30 homers.

I'd rather have him at 1B, Moose at 3B, Butler at DH, Gordon in LF and Myers in RF, but I also understand the price for quality, cost-controlled SP.

I just hope that DM chooses the right guy to trade, and trades him for the right guy. DM getting both ends right scares the shit out of me.

Discuss Thrower 11-20-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9136804)
I'm spending more time over at shaggy bevo lately, and I don't even like Texas. Shit, all they do is complain about the SEC and aTm, and it's still a lot more entertaining than this place anymore.

Those guys are straight up douchenozzles.

duncan_idaho 11-20-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9136815)
If they offer Moore and Archer for Myers, do you bite?

That's a tough 'no' vote, isn't it? You get a #1 starter and probable #3 starter for the next 5 years without touching a starter off last year's offense (an offense that was pretty decent as the season went along).

I know everyone's immediate reaction is to just shout 'no!' and move along, but it's a closer call than it seems, IMO. The Royals are going to struggle to get an ace in here and up to speed before they have to worry about getting guys like Moose and Hosmer re-signed. They can't let this window close on them.

If they can get an immediate injection of premier young pitching to go with their good young hitters, it's a thought they have to consider.

I still think they're better off going with a Hosmer/Hellickson duo, but if Myers/Moore is all they can get done, I think they have to consider it.

Every day and twice on Sunday. Hell, I'd do Moore for Myers straight up without blinking.

His performance from May on was phenomenal. I would prefer that to Hellickson/Hosmer, because I think Moore has more ceiling, a lower floor and is also controlled longer.

noa 11-20-2012 02:42 PM

Sports illustrated proposed us trading Gordon, Gio, and Montgomery for Price. Ha, if only it were that easy...
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry 11-20-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 9136993)
Sports illustrated proposed us trading Gordon, Gio, and Montgomery for Price. Ha, if only it were that easy...
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL
We could only wish it was that easy.

BlackHelicopters 11-20-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 9136993)
Posted via Mobile Device

Sports Illustrated picked the Chiefs to win the AFC West this year and be the #2 AFC seed in the playoffs.

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:14 PM

Well, Volstad wont be costing us money this year. We just DFA'd him, might sign him to a minor league deal but he's off the 40-man and wont see arbitration.

edit: correction, we probably just used an option, he might still be on the 40-man

edit2: nope, I was right the first time. Volstad's been cut from our 40-man roster.

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137076)
Well, Volstad wont be costing us money this year. We just DFA'd him, might sign him to a minor league deal but he's off the 40-man and wont see arbitration.

edit: correction, we probably just used an option, he might still be on the 40-man

edit2: nope, I was right the first time. Volstad's been cut from our 40-man roster.

This is excellent news, IMO.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137076)

Good. Now non-tender Hochevar, take that money and go get some better pitching.

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9137103)
Good. Now non-tender Hochevar, take that money and go get some better pitching.

Hoch made our 40-man roster for the cut deadline. Some Royals fans are looking for a window to jump out of, but there's no reason to be upset yet, if we get a 3rd pitcher, Hoch may lose his spot.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137108)
Hoch made our 40-man roster for the cut deadline. Some Royals fans are looking for a window to jump out of, but there's no reason to be upset yet, if we get a 3rd pitcher, Hoch may lose his spot.

What's the non-tender deadline? Early December?