ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Late night bullshit: A "smart guy's" sport. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271675)

Direckshun 04-01-2013 10:44 PM

Tell you what, Flopnuts and I live near each other.

If CP raises enough money and donate it to charity, I will chessbox him for this website's entertainment.

Sorter 04-01-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548149)
LMAO

I would too.

How has that not taken off?

Whoever takes an opponent's piece gets a free strike?

OMG, we have to develop this sport and send it in to Japan. They'll make it happen.

ChiefAshhole20 04-01-2013 10:44 PM

There is some straight dumbasses playing in the NFL, so I dont know if it would be considered a "smart guy's" game. Honestly if we are talking about needing straight knowledge of the game and one that is constantly working your mind/psyche its definitely golf. That shit is so much harder than people seem to think, and even though John Daly wasn't exactly one of the brightest minds you'd ever come across, almost all the professional golfers look like they could fill out one hell of an income statement. And soccer can suck it.

Sorter 04-01-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548153)
Tell you what, Flopnuts and I live near each other.

If CP raises enough money and donate it to charity, I will chessbox him for this website's entertainment.

If you can start cursing excessively, you can be the Dana of the Chessboxing Ultimate Championships.

You don't need to shave your head though.

RealSNR 04-01-2013 10:46 PM

It depends on how far you want to delve into the game as a fan.

Donger has claimed on this forum to not know how a guard functions in an offensive line. He pleads complete ignorance on the topic, and has said he doesn't and will never bother with learning the game to a slightly reasonable benchmark that should be understood as a fan of the game. But nonetheless, he still gets by; he is able to watch a Chiefs game and have fun.

I think certain sports like basketball are easier to have a Donger-like level of knowledge yet still understand what's happening. You don't need to be able to spot a pick-and-roll to enjoy a basketball game. It's full of exciting moments and is fast-moving enough.

Baseball can be just as "dumb" as basketball in that the basic rules of the game are almost ingrained into our DNA. But if you want to get really deep, it's almost got the most potential for being a smart guy sport than anything else.

AussieChiefsFan 04-01-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9548157)
There is some straight dumbasses playing in the NFL, so I dont know if it would be considered a "smart guy's" game. Honestly if we are talking about needing straight knowledge of the game and one that is constantly working your mind/psyche its definitely golf. That shit is so much harder than people seem to think, and even though John Daly wasn't exactly one of the brightest minds you'd ever come across, almost all the professional golfers look like they could fill out one hell of an income statement. And soccer can suck it.

Very true. I guess it can also vary from position to position. An O-Lineman or QB would have to be much smarter than the average Defensive player.

Sorter 04-01-2013 10:48 PM

Additionally, Dane can be our Lorenzo Fertitta

Simply Red 04-01-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9548162)
It depends on how far you want to delve into the game as a fan.

Donger has claimed on this forum to not know how a guard functions in an offensive line. He pleads complete ignorance on the topic, and has said he doesn't and will never bother with learning the game to a slightly reasonable benchmark that should be understood as a fan of the game. But nonetheless, he still gets by; he is able to watch a Chiefs game and have fun.

I think certain sports like basketball are easier to have a Donger-like level of knowledge yet still understand what's happening. You don't need to be able to spot a pick-and-roll to enjoy a basketball game. It's full of exciting moments and is fast-moving enough.

Baseball can be just as "dumb" as basketball in that the basic rules of the game are almost ingrained into our DNA. But if you want to get really deep, it's almost got the most potential for being a smart guy sport than anything else.

I think Donger may'be left forever, I've not seen him since I've come back from quitting forever. I miss DongerTroll a lot.

Direckshun 04-01-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9548154)
Whoever takes an opponent's piece gets a free strike?

OMG, we have to develop this sport and send it in to Japan. They'll make it happen.

Have you never heard of chessboxing?

You each play a timed round on the chessboard, then you play a timed round in the ring.

Rinse and repeat, until there's either a checkmate or a (T)KO.

wazu 04-01-2013 10:51 PM

I'll give the nod to football, but with a qualifier...

Baseball is a lot harder to learn/teach. Players have to know where to go with the ball, have awareness, and make split second decisions that show they know the situation. With football, unless you are the QB, you have a pretty scripted something to do on offense, and on defense maybe have 2 or 3 things to think about. In baseball, you can have any combination of outs/baserunners/strikes/balls/score, and when that ball comes off the bat it can literally go anywhere.

Football gets the nod at top levels because the plays, designs, coverages, etc are so much more complex and game-deciding. But in baseball if you are a dumbass you will be exposed constantly.

Sorter 04-01-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9548170)
Have you never heard of chessboxing?

You each play a timed round on the chessboard, then you play a timed round in the ring.

Rinse and repeat, until there's either a checkmate or a (T)KO.

Holy shit, it's actually real.

Wow. No, I had never heard of it. We need to get on this regardless. ChessMMA would take off fairly quickly as well IMO.

griZZly64 04-01-2013 10:52 PM

Every sport is a smart mans sport. If you add some intelligence in with talent you have a hell of a player.

Direckshun 04-01-2013 10:52 PM

How about this:

Baseball is harder to learn how to play.

Football is harder to learn how to deeply understand.

Ming the Merciless 04-01-2013 10:52 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TJy2kIWtyvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR 04-01-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9548169)
I think Donger may'be left forever, I've not seen him since I've come back from quitting forever. I miss DongerTroll a lot.

Were you around for Donger v. chiefs4me?

Good times. Good times.