ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Official 2012-2013 NBA Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265784)

NJChiefsFan 11-29-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9161020)
The NBAs total product now kinda blows. Literally half of the teams, maybe even more.....blow. they have zero shot at a title. The competitive balance is all out of whack.

It's been like that for a while now. You can name the top 6 teams before the season and the Finals is always between those teams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9161034)
How is this different from the NFL? All four AFC divisions can be clinched this weekend.

The only difference is the regular season. There are the teams with elite QBs and then there are the rest. You have a few like BAL and SF that can possibly do it without one but even they have never made it further than halfway to the goal.

okcchief 11-29-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9162407)
Wow. Pop is not playing Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, or Green tonight @ Miami. TNT has to be pissed and fans who shelled out big $$ for tickets should demand a refund. Absolute bullshit.

That's kind of strange since they didn't play last night or play tomorrow. Plus, they played Washington, and Toronto earlier in the week. Why not do it then? It's a regular season game, but you would think those players would want to play the World Champs. I understand the strategy with an older team, but I don't understand the spot at all.

DaKCMan AP 11-29-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9162547)
That's kind of strange since they didn't play last night or play tomorrow. Plus, they played Washington, and Toronto earlier in the week. Why not do it then? It's a regular season game, but you would think those players would want to play the World Champs. I understand the strategy with an older team, but I don't understand the spot at all.

Or rest a guy here and there - not all of them on a given night.

KC native 11-29-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9162407)
Wow. Pop is not playing Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, or Green tonight @ Miami. TNT has to be pissed and fans who shelled out big $$ for tickets should demand a refund. Absolute bullshit.

Waaaaaaaa

Pop has been great at extending Timeless Tim Duncan's career. He is smart enough to know an early season game against miami doesn't mean shit.

KC native 11-29-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Because this game doesn't mean shit to the Spurs. Pop knows his team will easily make the playoffs. Why not get your young guys valuable experience against top tier talent when the outcome isn't important?

KC native 11-29-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

And IIRC Pop said he is managing by how many minutes they play over a set period of time.

okcchief 11-29-2012 06:27 PM

I guess SA did play last night so that makes more a lot more sense.

I don't question his strategy because it works. As a fan, I'd like to see them play the Heat tonight though.

DaKCMan AP 11-29-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9162576)
Waaaaaaaa

Pop has been great at extending Timeless Tim Duncan's career. He is smart enough to know an early season game against miami doesn't mean shit.

That's as cute as a bad chest tattoo, but the NBA is a business with paying customers. Teams charge extra for premium games against top teams. Charging customers extra to see the Heat-Spurs and then it turning into a Spurs starting lineup of Bonner-Diaw-Splitter-Mills-De Colo is bad business, plain and simple.

okcchief 11-29-2012 07:28 PM

They have played 4 games in 5 days, but rest them against Toronto or Washington and you probably win anyway. This is outright forfeiting a game lol.

KevB 11-29-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9162708)
That's as cute as a bad chest tattoo, but the NBA is a business with paying customers. Teams charge extra for premium games against top teams. Charging customers extra to see the Heat-Spurs and then it turning into a Spurs starting lineup of Bonner-Diaw-Splitter-Mills-De Colo is bad business, plain and simple.

Exactly right, and Stern is coming strong with a response. I get why Pop is doing it, but it's not acceptable for what is essentially an entertainment business.

highBOLTage 11-29-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9162781)
Exactly right, and Stern is coming strong with a response. I get why Pop is doing it, but it's not acceptable for what is essentially an entertainment business.

Hope the Spurs scrubs keep winning. Funny to see them get fined by the commish for winning but not the way fans and commissioners want.

Al Bundy 11-29-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9162708)

Such is life for the people paying "extra" for it... good move by Pop.

tk13 11-29-2012 08:09 PM

Wait a minute, Stern's really going to fine them for this? I don't know if I agree with the decision but resting your players shouldn't result in a fine. The league can't be telling coaches how to run their teams.

okcchief 11-29-2012 08:12 PM

There is no way they should fine them. It's his decision to manage the lineup the way he wants.

-King- 11-29-2012 08:12 PM

Only way Stern could justify it is if the Spurs got blown out by 20+. And even then there would be major backlash.