ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Woof. Alright, so what would you do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351039)

Chris Meck 11-21-2023 06:48 AM

Woof. Alright, so what would you do?

NOW.

Not last March. No 'what I would've done is...'.

What would you do NOW?

I would stop with the rotation at WR.

I'm playing Rice and Toney every play unless they need a breather. They are the two most talented.

I'm putting Hardman in MVS' spot. He's the fastest, and MVS never played big anyway. run ****ing go routes until you drop, Mecole. If they don't pull a safety over, we'll chuck it to you.

When Hardman needs a breath, send Watson out there.

Probably run a lot of 21.

Keep feeding Pacheco.

Simplify as much as you can.

Chris Meck 11-21-2023 06:54 AM

Damnit, I meant 12 personnel. First cup of coffee.

Rainbarrel 11-21-2023 06:55 AM

Hardman was on the sideline grabbing his hand early in the game. I think he was limited, did not hear the injury report

notorious 11-21-2023 06:55 AM

There’s not a lot you can do.

You hope they pull their heads out of their ass in the playoffs.

JimNasium 11-21-2023 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 17236532)
Hardman was on the sideline grabbing his hand early in the game. I think he was limited, did not hear the injury report

I think I heard ‘thumb injury’ on the television broadcast.

dlphg9 11-21-2023 06:58 AM

Andy isn't gonna stop doing what he's doing. He's going to keep rotating WRs in and we will continue to be frustrated.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 06:59 AM

Seriously consider Sammy Watkins and use him in place of skyy. we cannot have WRs out there who only manage 1 forced target per game. Because man much as I want to improve this position it sure feels like we're 1 consistent option away from being good enough.

Stop pulling rashee off the field and take the kid gloves off. He's our best jumpball WR and while he's running better depth per route, his depth per target is still way too low

Toney was used great. Use him as a gadget to run options, jet sweeps, etc...

I want to say give James a go but i really don't want to change rotations yet again but I dunno... Maybe kick the tires on James too

ChiTown 11-21-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbarrel (Post 17236532)

Thumb injury. He hurt it on his first reception in the first half. He came back into the game late in the 3rd qtr

Chris Meck 11-21-2023 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17236537)
Seriously consider Sammy Watkins and use him in place of skyy. we cannot have WRs out there who only manage 1 forced target per game. Because man much as I want to improve this position it sure feels like we're 1 consistent option away from being good enough.

Stop pulling rashee off the field and take the kid gloves off. He's our best jumpball WR and while he's running better depth per route, his depth per target is still way too low

Toney was used great. Use him as a gadget to run options, jet sweeps, etc...

I want to say give James a go but i really don't want to change rotations yet again but I dunno... Maybe kick the tires on James too

Disagree on Toney usage.

He looked really good last season when they used him as an actual WR. I don't understand what they're doing with him now, they barely use him at all.

493rd 11-21-2023 07:03 AM

Reid isn’t likely to make drastic changes midseason. We run Pacheco more and keep grinding and hope things get better. At the very least you must find more ways to get Rashee Rice the football. He’s easily the most explosive dude we’ve got and it’s insane that he doesn’t get more targets.

The positive is that the Chiefs have a top 5 defense which should keep us in games. Offense just needs to execute better and stop shooting themselves in the feet. Mahomes interception in the end zone and Kelce fumble cost us at least 6 points maybe more. Gotta be better.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 07:04 AM

Depends on why they're doing what they're doing.

I know in some people's minds (not OP), they're now down a path where they're far more likely to continue losing until something major happens (or they win again).... but, if they're saving guys for the playoffs with the rotation, they have a pretty decent chance of winning out while not changing that strategy.

Even then, I'd expect they'll shorten the rotation soon-ish... they used one game as a warmup last year and seems like they may need 2 or 3 this year
They're already making some of those adjustments, like getting Toney more touches and CEH far fewer the past few weeks.

Bowser 11-21-2023 07:05 AM

Change personnel groupings at receiver - Limit MVS and Skyy, get Rice, Toney (provided he doesn't get hurt every game), James and Watson more playing time.

Change the routes these guys are running. More slants, more intermediate stuff.

Get the backs more heavily involved in the passing attack. More screens and wheel routes.

Start utilizing Gray more as a receiving threat out of the 12 looks.

Stop using our receivers as running backs and running them between the tackles.

Rainbarrel 11-21-2023 07:05 AM

They have been playing for the postseason for most of Mahomes' years. We are never patient enough, it's difficult

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 07:05 AM

Don't know what there is to do. The WRs being absolutely shit there's not much to do realistically, but the far more concerning aspect of it is we seem to be watching Kelce age out in real time. He's openly flirting with retirement now and he seems to have been afflicted as well with the ****upitis.

OKchiefs 11-21-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17236536)
Andy isn't gonna stop doing what he's doing. He's going to keep rotating WRs in and we will continue to be frustrated.

Exactly. Not a damn thing will change. They’ll keep throwing shit at the wall hoping it will stick.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17236539)
Disagree on Toney usage.

He looked really good last season when they used him as an actual WR. I don't understand what they're doing with him now, they barely use him at all.

I think they need to use him more but they moved around a lot which I think is really good use for him. They see him as more a Curtis Samuel role than a terry mclaurin and I get that. I’m not sure he looked great as a downfield option last year, or if it was just overgeneralizing off a small sample size

OKchiefs 11-21-2023 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17236542)
Depends on why they're doing what they're doing.

I know in some people's minds (not OP), they're now down a path where they're far more likely to continue losing until something major happens (or they win again).... but, if they're saving guys for the playoffs with the rotation, they have a pretty decent chance of winning out while not changing that strategy.

Even then, I'd expect they'll shorten the rotation soon-ish... they used one game as a warmup last year and seems like they may need 2 or 3 this year
They're already making some of those adjustments, like getting Toney more touches and CEH far fewer the past few weeks.

WR snaps and rotation was same last night as it’s been all year, for the most part. Nobody got more than 60% or so of snaps.

ChiTown 11-21-2023 07:15 AM

Honestly though, this is mostly an execution issue. Catch the ****ing ball - especially a dime thrown to you for a TD. Don’t fumble a reception in the Redzone. Don’t throw a horrible interception to an open receiver in the end zone. I mean, truly, if we don’t do one of those things, we most likely win this game. Problem is, we did ALL of them, and it’s a bit of a reoccurring theme with this O.

It’s crazy to think what our record would be if we didn’t have a T-5 Defense.

Chris Meck 11-21-2023 07:16 AM

The question in the OP was:

What would YOU do?

Not what do you think Andy is going to do.

Clark Hunt is impressed with your football mind, he's been watching your CP posts. He just put you in charge.

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17236555)

What would YOU do?

Clark Hunt is impressed with your football mind, he's been watching your CP posts. He just put you in charge.

Do coaching staff changes count? Because I'm getting Nagy and that putz WR coach the **** out. 3 straight games now we've been shut out in the second. Whatever Nagy is bringing to the room sure isn't a positive.

Jewish Rabbi 11-21-2023 07:20 AM

Fire the catching coach

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 07:21 AM

Saw on Twitter that rookies immediately after the bye week tend to have huge breakouts. But we didn’t really ever try to work him into the gameplan except for 1 drive. If we’re truly saving our best for the playoffs then let’s test him on the sidelines. Give him some jumpballs and let’s give him the experience on a wide range of catches.

ChiTown 11-21-2023 07:22 AM

What slays me, is the lack of use for Rashee Rice. That guy is getter better and better IMO with his route running and run after catch. He was targeted 5 times yesterday. He’d be getting 8+ in my offense, especially on 3rd downs. J Watson had ELEVEN ducking targets last night. ELEVEN. He caught 5…

Chiefnj2 11-21-2023 07:22 AM

This team isn't all that different from past teams. KC made a living out of come from behind wins and fans got spoiled thinking it can happen all the time. Some bad luck this year with drops in key moments. MVS and Moore catch those game ending balls and this is no different from other years.

Get the WR's in front of the jugs for an extra 100 balls at the beginning and end of practice.

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 07:23 AM

Let's completely abandon what's been working and just start throwing deep to reeruns that can't catch. It hasn't worked the past 2 games but **** it, go again. Our running game has been gashing them all game. Let's run twice the entire 4th quarter.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17236555)

What would YOU do?

I'd personally panic, check CP, sign every broke dick FA WR this week that I could while stress eating In-A-Tub and watching the 2021-22 Divisional Round game over and over.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 07:25 AM

Also the reason I bring up Toney is… not that I subscribe to holding things back until the playoffs. But that to me felt like a teaser for what they may eventually do with him. I think in crunch time you’ll see Toney move around a LOT on the field. We saw a lot more life in this offense yesterday when we got really creative with pre snap

FlaChief58 11-21-2023 07:25 AM

I doubt there's a mid season fix for the lack of talent at wr. It's not like they're suddenly going to be able to get separation. Teams have us figured out.

1.Double/ tripple Kelce
2. Man up on our sorry ass wr's
3. Profit

mr. tegu 11-21-2023 07:27 AM

If he was going to make any big changes it would have been in the bye week and he didn’t. That’s why yesterdays game is so frustrating. Nothing changed. And the team we saw yesterday and basically all season the way the offense runs won’t win a Super Bowl.

We will end up losing in identical fashion where we dominate but dumb self inflicted mistakes beat us. Like Belicheck said, you lose way more games than you win, and this team has consistently shown not to be mistake free enough consistently to overcome their severe WR disadvantage to win 3-4 playoff games in a row.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 17236563)
This team isn't all that different from past teams. KC made a living out of come from behind wins and fans got spoiled thinking it can happen all the time. Some bad luck this year with drops in key moments. MVS and Moore catch those game ending balls and this is no different from other years.

Get the WR's in front of the jugs for an extra 100 balls at the beginning and end of practice.

Yeah, remember all the times we've said we're absolutely spoiled with how they can score on demand and comebacks seemed so inevitable.... yeah, that's actually really ****ing hard to accomplish at the level they did.

It might bite them in the ass this season, but with this defense and how playoff seeding is looking, I'm not ruling out anything.

MIAdragon 11-21-2023 07:32 AM

It is what it is, this is the team as constructed by Burt and Andy. Pretty egregious mistake, that’s hopefully addressed next season.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 17236572)
If he was going to make any big changes it would have been in the bye week and he didn’t. That’s why yesterdays game is so frustrating. Nothing changed. And the team we saw yesterday and basically all season the way the offense runs won’t win a Super Bowl.

We will end up losing in identical fashion where we dominate but dumb self inflicted mistakes beat us. Like Belicheck said, you lose way more games than you win, and this team has consistently shown not to be mistake free enough consistently to overcome their severe WR disadvantage to win 3-4 playoff games in a row.

We say this shit every year though.

Last year it was all the close losses in December to shit teams. Two years ago it was that 6 week stretch and then a few other games, three years ago they weren't beating the Falcons and other teams by enough points, 4 years ago they were 6-4, 5 years ago the defense sucked balls, 6 years ago.... oh wait, that was Alex.

Eleazar 11-21-2023 07:35 AM

There’s nothing you can do other than try to coach them to execute. The personnel isn’t good enough and it can’t be improved at this point in the year. The guys who aren’t on the same page with Mahomes have been here for multiple years and just don’t seem to get it.

They whiffed on the position in the offseason, and now we have a WR group that is basically Rice with some substandard slot guys and gadget players. There’s no way to make chicken salad here.

JPH83 11-21-2023 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17236529)
NOW.

What would you do NOW?

I'm playing Rice and Toney every play unless they need a breather. They are the two most talented.

I'm putting Hardman in MVS' spot. He's the fastest, and MVS never played big anyway. run ****ing go routes until you drop, Mecole. If they don't pull a safety over, we'll chuck it to you.

Keep feeding Pacheco.

I told you stopping the rotation was it :-). But yeah most of what you say I'd go with. I'm probably have Toney taking some of those MVS routes too, he's got the juice to separate early and he at least can track a ball and catch...probably.

Obviously drop Moore's snaps substantially and make sure they're all from the slot. I'd probably activate James and see if he can operate there too.

Chris Meck 11-21-2023 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17236567)
I'd personally panic, check CP, sign every broke dick FA WR this week that I could while stress eating In-A-Tub and watching the 2021-22 Divisional Round game over and over.

ROFL

notorious 11-21-2023 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 17236581)
There’s nothing you can do other than try to coach them to execute. The personnel isn’t good enough and it can’t be improved at this point in the year. The guys who aren’t on the same page with Mahomes have been here for multiple years and just don’t seem to get it.

They whiffed on the position in the offseason, and now we have a WR group that is basically Rice with some substandard slot guys and gadget players. There’s no way to make chicken salad here.

If they can serve the basic function that high school wide receivers do this team will win another superbowl.

They've been in position to make the play, they just didn't catch a football. Something they do hundreds of times a day.

I'm not going to lose the faith. It's been historically ugly up to this point, but I'm not giving up on them.

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 07:40 AM

Uhh, why do people keep pointing to Rice as being anything other than a JAG with the rest? He's maintaining the same substandard production despite having how workload nearly doubled and the dude drops balls just like the rest of them. I keep seeing this sentiment about Rice and to this point it simply isn't true. He's just as much a part of the problem currently as the rest of them.

Rainbarrel 11-21-2023 07:43 AM

Watson losing Mahomes faith, may force the issue of other options. They knew enough to block Mahomes outlet wearing #1. The Eagles had some hefty motivation

Rainbarrel 11-21-2023 07:46 AM

Do not throw the ball to Watson in the bitter cold/rain. Otherwise he's not a disaster

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17236588)
Uhh, why do people keep pointing to Rice as being anything other than a JAG with the rest? He's maintaining the same substandard production despite having how workload nearly doubled and the dude drops balls just like the rest of them. I keep seeing this sentiment about Rice and to this point it simply isn't true. He's just as much a part of the problem currently as the rest of them.

Sure but the other WRs are what they were.

Rashee has plenty of room for growth. unlike the other guys mistakes are expected. Let him make more mistakes. Our best shot at improving this wr room is to accelerate his growth and to do that we have to give him opportunities to make mistakes. Although he's running better depth of routes we still target him very conservatively

CadeMeister 11-21-2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

NOW.

What would you do NOW?

Keep feeding Pacheco.

Let me simplify for you............FIRE THE _ucking receiver coach TODAY !

mr. tegu 11-21-2023 07:51 AM

Woof. Alright, so what would you do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17236579)
We say this shit every year though.

Last year it was all the close losses in December to shit teams. Two years ago it was that 6 week stretch and then a few other games, three years ago they weren't beating the Falcons and other teams by enough points, 4 years ago they were 6-4, 5 years ago the defense sucked balls, 6 years ago.... oh wait, that was Alex.

This isn’t scheme or bad luck though with the WR. It’s a pattern. But most of all it’s apparently not fixable because if it was I think it would have shown signs of improvement by now.

Basically every WR is over exposed right now. We are asking our fourth outfielder who normally plays once or twice a week to give the starters a break to instead bat third in the lineup and play every day.

KC_Lee 11-21-2023 07:51 AM

Call Todd Haley, have him run the Port-A-Potty drills with the receiving corps every day for the next 3 weeks.

CadeMeister 11-21-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17236587)
If they can serve the basic function that high school wide receivers do this team will win another superbowl.

They've been in position to make the play, they just didn't catch a football. Something they do hundreds of times a day.

I'm not going to lose the faith. It's been historically ugly up to this point, but I'm not giving up on them.

Why does the receiver coach continue to have a job ? FIRE the _ucking receiver coach today. My bet he is not anywhere near qualified to coach NFL players.

Can ANYONE on this site name the receiver coach of the Chiefs "without Google"?

jerryaldini 11-21-2023 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17236588)

Yeah, he's getting the second most snaps. He's fine for a rookie where he was taken, but he's not the solution. Another drop last night. Toney is a weak body part time gadget guy. We just have to deal with the fact Watson is our number 1, which seems crazy but true

notorious 11-21-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CadeMeister (Post 17236602)
Why does the receiver coach continue to have a job ? FIRE the _ucking receiver coach today. My bet he is not anywhere near qualified to coach NFL players.

An NFL wide receiver doesn't need a coach to tell them to catch the ball.

They've been doing it their entire career.

It's like blaming the line coach when dudes are jumping offside.

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 17236608)
An NFL wide receiver doesn't need a coach to tell them to catch the ball.

They've been doing it their entire career.

It's like blaming the line coach when dudes are jumping offside.

The problem runs MUCH deeper than that. This offense has been the buzzsaw of old to open most games, but as soon as we're done with the opening script the wheels fall off and every receiver starts ****ing up the most rudimentary shit. Something is fundamentally broken in the chain when every single WR goes from serviceable to worthless once we're calling plays on the fly, and as much wishful thinking as there has been poured into it Rice hasn't developed a ****ing bit since getting here. He's the same guy that walked on the field week 1.

Skyy God 11-21-2023 08:06 AM

Mahomes and Kelce look disinterested and are probably distracted by outside obligations.

I don’t see the fire to win from the offensive leaders this year.

Pinchshot 11-21-2023 08:07 AM

Even Kelce couldn't catch last night. Contagious.

Pinchshot 11-21-2023 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy God (Post 17236621)
Mahomes and Kelce look disinterested and are probably distracted by outside obligations.

Said this in the preseason. Just too hard to keep the eye of the Tiger. Saw it with Chris Jones.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-21-2023 08:10 AM

Cut Skyy, Fire the WR coach, sign Jarvis Landry. Pray someone gets the message and stops sucking.... Oh and stop hiring metrosexuals with names like "Connor".

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17236620)
The problem runs MUCH deeper than that. This offense has been the buzzsaw of old to open most games, but as soon as we're done with the opening script the wheels fall off and every receiver starts ****ing up the most rudimentary shit. Something is fundamentally broken in the chain when every single WR goes from serviceable to worthless once we're calling plays on the fly, and as much wishful thinking as there has been poured into it Rice hasn't developed a ****ing bit since getting here. He's the same guy that walked on the field week 1.

But what game have the scripts worked? It's typically been heavy targeting Kelce, then it was Noah gray a few games, then Pacheco. The one exception being Miami where we caught them off guard by targeting WRs until they realized they just needed to press our guys a little bit.

It reminds me of the days gameplanning around Jordan black. You can find creative ways to plan around Jordan black. But sooner or later you have to move to your plan B and we don't have flexibility to do that. the eagles let Justin Watson do whatever the **** he wanted yesterday and it worked

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 08:12 AM

Quote:

People can't seriously believe this

They aren't disinterested. They are frustrated as hell

DrunkBassGuitar 11-21-2023 08:14 AM

Quote:

NOW.

What would you do NOW?

Keep feeding Pacheco.

Agree with this. when MVS or Watson is in, dumb down the routes.

and like you're a musician, what do you do when you **** something up? You go woodshed it until you can't play it wrong even if it's the basics. Make the receivers practice catching every day.

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-21-2023 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17236637)

Right? Kelce doesn't look disinterested - he looks old for the first time.

Skyy God 11-21-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Someone who was at the game would have more insight.

But from the MNF broadcast, I didn’t see Pat communicating with receivers, talking to coaches, or reviewing prior plays much.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

All kinds of reeruned takes after losses... Mahomes needs to stop doing commercials or having kids or something!!!!

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17236632)
But what game have the scripts worked? It's typically been heavy targeting Kelce, then it was Noah gray a few games, then Pacheco. The one exception being Miami where we caught them off guard by targeting WRs until they realized they just needed to press our guys a little bit.

It reminds me of the days gameplanning around Jordan black. You can find creative ways to plan around Jordan black. But sooner or later you have to move to your plan B and we don't have flexibility to do that. the eagles let Justin Watson do whatever the **** he wanted yesterday and it worked

Huh? You can literally go back and look game by game. The WRs are plenty involved early.

TLO 11-21-2023 08:19 AM

I'd probably bitch and complain a whole lot on my favorite website www.chiefsplanet.com

Mosbonian 11-21-2023 08:21 AM

Silly as it may sound . Make MVS a game day healthy scratch for one game I am all for bringing in either Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry for some veteran presence...what could it hurt?

Sassy Squatch 11-21-2023 08:23 AM

CEH switched his aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and somehow breaks off a couple big runs. Neat, let's do it twice a d then never again for the whole game.

Wisconsin_Chief 11-21-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

This is something that hasn't been talked about enough amongst all this shit. I would say they both look more exhausted than disinterested, but I think there's definitely something there. Considering they have been carrying this franchise on their backs the past few years, I can't say I blame them. They are only human beings and winning at the level they have for as along as they have can drain a person in every way.

If anyone listened to Travis on one of their recent podcasts, you get the impression this very well could be his last year. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if it is.

FloridaMan88 11-21-2023 08:23 AM

Put Joe Bleymaier back in charge of WR’s… he was the WR coach for most of these same WR’s last year.

Healthy scratch MVS.

Script 15 plays specifically just for Rice and ensure he gets 10 targets, MINIMUM.

Chiefnj2 11-21-2023 08:28 AM

Kelce has been banged up all year. His body probably would have benefitted from rest, ice baths, hyperbaric treatment, etc. But, the most famous woman in the world is in South America, so that’s where he went.

FloridaMan88 11-21-2023 08:33 AM

Also the RB screen game needs to make a prominent return… it’s been a non-factor for most of the season.

And Noah Gray is probably a more reliable pass catcher than any of the Chiefs WR’s currently… yet he had zero targets last night.

New World Order 11-21-2023 08:34 AM

Run the ball. A ton of screens. PA bombs down the field

smithandrew051 11-21-2023 08:35 AM

3 game losing drops are all that likely stand between the Chiefs and being undefeated.

That’s a silver lining. No one has beat the Chiefs. Chiefs consistently make unforced errors to lose winnable games (or make wins closer than they should be).

It’s possible they can correct, but if they can then why haven’t they? That’s the concerning part.

notorious 11-21-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17236661)
CEH switched his aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and somehow breaks off a couple big runs. Neat, let's do it twice a d then never again for the whole game.

ROFL

irafreak 11-21-2023 08:39 AM

About the only realistic thing they may do that I'd like to see is keep toney at punt returner.

He can make something happen without the same fumble risk and run backwards bs.

The guy wants to cut up field as soon as he can and that's refreshing to see a returner understand that he's probably not going to outrun nfl players to the sideline regularly so cut up and take your yards while still having the threat to take it deep.

Bearcat 11-21-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 17236598)
This isn’t scheme or bad luck though with the WR. It’s a pattern. But most of all it’s apparently not fixable because if it was I think it would have shown signs of improvement by now.

Basically every WR is over exposed right now. We are asking our fourth outfielder who normally plays once or twice a week to give the starters a break to instead bat third in the lineup and play every day.

Yeah, and I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug by any means. Even Kelce didn't look good last night, much less just about the easiest game winning catch you can make being dropped. And you just expect a different level of focus and perform after a bye in prime time at home in a SB rematch.

I'd say the one encouraging thing was it seemed like they were getting to 3rd and short quite a bit, like the older days. I could be wrong, but didn't seem like they had nearly as many 2nd and longs that turned into 3rd and longs.

Even in the 2nd half, they ****ed up several manageable 3rd downs. In the playoffs that means Mahomes is probably running for more 1st downs, and Kelce most likely isn't dropping everything.

And I'm usually the one screaming offense wins championships and you have to be able to score 30+ in a game or 3 when the games really matter... but, just not sure that's true on the AFC side this year given Burrow is out, Allen is struggling, and the defense is ****ing legit.

DrunkBassGuitar 11-21-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17236678)
3 game losing drops are all that likely stand between the Chiefs and being undefeated.

That’s a silver lining. No one has beat the Chiefs. Chiefs consistently make unforced errors to lose winnable games (or make wins closer than they should be).

It’s possible they can correct, but if they can then why haven’t they? That’s the concerning part.

Yeah man that's the frustrating thing, this team is a twat hair away from being unstoppable. And the problem is the WRs not executing simple shit: Don't stop running a route and catch the balls that hit you in your hads. Just like execute the simple things that are expected of an NFL WR and this team blows out the Lions, Denver and Philly.

Gary Cooper 11-21-2023 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CadeMeister (Post 17236602)

Are we sure he's not one of Andy's children?

RunKC 11-21-2023 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17236671)
Also the RB screen game needs to make a prominent return… it’s been a non-factor for most of the season.

And Noah Gray is probably a more reliable pass catcher than any of the Chiefs WR’s currently… yet he had zero targets last night.

Noah Gray was targeted the first play of the game and it looks like he messed up the play.

DrunkBassGuitar 11-21-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17236686)
Yeah, and I'm not trying to sweep it under the rug by any means. Even Kelce didn't look good last night, much less just about the easiest game winning catch you can make being dropped. And you just expect a different level of focus and perform after a bye in prime time at home in a SB rematch.

I'd say the one encouraging thing was it seemed like they were getting to 3rd and short quite a bit, like the older days. I could be wrong, but didn't seem like they had nearly as many 2nd and longs that turned into 3rd and longs.

Even in the 2nd half, they ****ed up several manageable 3rd downs. In the playoffs that means Mahomes is probably running for more 1st downs, and Kelce most likely isn't dropping everything.

And I'm usually the one screaming offense wins championships and you have to be able to score 30+ in a game or 3 when the games really matter... but, just not sure that's true on the AFC side this year given Burrow is out, Allen is struggling, and the defense is ****ing legit.

The highest opponent score this season was the broncos with 24 and that included a bunch of turnovers. So you don't even need to score 30. 24 is probably enough with this defense. Average so far is 22.5

Gary Cooper 11-21-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 17236667)
Kelce has been banged up all year. His body probably would have benefitted from rest, ice baths, hyperbaric treatment, etc. But, the most famous woman in the world is in South America, so that’s where he went.

Hillary Clinton?

RunKC 11-21-2023 09:02 AM

Fix the turnover and penalty issues. Those are completely correctable. I think that part will get better bc Kelce was a big part of it and he's usually not this bad.

Cut the turnovers down. That's killing this team

scho63 11-21-2023 09:02 AM

We need to CATCH the ****ing ball - problem solved

Hammock Parties 11-21-2023 09:06 AM

Long hard look at RICK JAMES BITCH

Skyy God 11-21-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 17236667)

Christ, he really did fly to Argentina.

No wonder his body is breaking down.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2023 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17236654)
Huh? You can literally go back and look game by game. The WRs are plenty involved early.

Apart from 1-2 games they have not been the primary or often not even secondary option. Our early games were heavy heavy workloads for Kelce. Then it was heavy Gray. These guys killed it in the first half of games then fell off in the second. Some of those games were heavy run script like yesterday. And it's not because we abandoned the script. Yesterday they led us run the ball then we did a lot of funky shifts and misdirections. And then they decided what if we sold out to stop the run and Kelce. And that's where Watson goes pretty much unguarded on every play

At some point defenses have dared us to beat us with our WRs. Even if that means paying no attention to them. And it's when we reach that point in games where we can't target Kelce or run the ball consistently that we just can't get anything going