ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music New music discoveries (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139447)

Nzoner 04-23-2006 09:27 AM

New music discoveries

I've recently been going all out to find new music and thought we could use a thread giving each other a head's up on new music we may not have heard of.By new I mean to you,since we have such a variance of ages here I'm sure that some of us may be aware of the artists mentioned but nonetheless I'd like to get an idea of other stuff out there.

If you'd like to add a link or copy and paste an article that'd be great.

I'm going to start with Earl Slick and I can't say enough good about his project Zig Zag.10 songs in all the project includes a few instrumentals as well as some special guest singers including David Bowie whom Earl has played with.My personal favs are the songs 1735 and Zig Zag.

Here's a little more about him.

Earl Slick: Six String Outlaw

The image of the journeyman guitarist is one of modern day rock and roll folklore. The idea of the lone gunslinger, a six string outlaw that brings their magic to all the world's stages before riding off into the sunset leaving us to wonder when they will return.

Earl Slick has been an in demand guitarist for the better part of 30 years having played on the most pivotal of albums by none other than David Bowie (David Live, Station To Station), John Lennon (Double Fantasy, Milk And Honey) and Ian Hunter (Overnight Angels). However, after years of constant touring and recording, Earl was exhausted spiritually and creatively and headed off for a much-needed break in the early 90s.

Disappearing for a few years, Earl was on the road once again with David Bowie in the summer of 2000 and has remained with the band touring numerous times and appearing on Bowie's "Live At The BBC Theatre" and "Reality" albums.

Having his creativity sparked by this recent activity, Earl began writing in earnest, the results of which produced his sterling new album "Zig Zag". Eager to talk about his first solo album in 12 years, Earl Slick graciously spoke to MusicTAP recently before finishing the first US leg of Bowie's "Reality Tour"

Nightwish 04-23-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner 338
Having his creativity sparked by this recent activity, Earl began writing in earnest

In a related story, Earnest said that he wishes people would stop doing things in him. It is giving him ulcers and indigestion.

Reaper16 04-26-2006 09:55 AM

This is a great thread idea that's getting no love. So, I'll pimp something that I expect exactly zero people to like.

I discovered this band called Tenochtitlan. They're from Russia, and the write songs about the ancient Aztec, Mayan, and Inca civilizations. The lyrics are in Russian and broken Mayan and Aztec. The song titles are mostly in Aztec.

They play a sort of atmospheric/ambient tranquil jungle music that really evokes South America, and they mix that with elements of doom metal. It's weird fun stuff that's worth a listen, I guess...

...especially since you can download both of their albums, "Chac Och-Ut," and "Epoch of the Five Suns" for free(!) @ http://www.realmusic.ru/albums/3568/ and http://www.realmusic.ru/albums/3353/

Nzoner 04-26-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16
This is a great thread idea that's getting no love. So, I'll pimp something that I expect exactly zero people to like.

I discovered this band called Tenochtitlan.

Yeah,I was hoping to make some new discoveries through this thread.

As for Tenochtitlan I listened to one song,an instrumental(I'm still on dial-up until next week so it took forever)and it reminded me of a movie score.Not to compare the two groups but I was reminded of a movie called Sorcerer that Tangerine Dream did the score for while listening to the instrumental.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it,but I'd definitely have to hear more to make a final call,in fact after next week I'll revist it and listen further.

Thanks,hopefully we'll get some more contributors for some new music.

DMAC 04-26-2006 01:28 PM

Right now I am listening to the Eagles of Death Metal. Kind of like Queens of the Stone Age mixed with White Stripes, not bad...

Reaper16 04-26-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah,I was hoping to make some new discoveries through this thread.

As for Tenochtitlan I listened to one song,an instrumental(I'm still on dial-up until next week so it took forever)and it reminded me of a movie score.Not to compare the two groups but I was reminded of a movie called Sorcerer that Tangerine Dream did the score for while listening to the instrumental.

I wouldn't say I didn't like it,but I'd definitely have to hear more to make a final call,in fact after next week I'll revist it and listen further.

Thanks,hopefully we'll get some more contributors for some new music.

The second track from the album you d/l from is more representative of what they do. I don't believe that I'll listen to them much, but it's original. Which is impressive in this day and age.

As for this thread, it's probably my favorite idea on the boards right now. More people should participate.

Reaper16 04-26-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
Right now I am listening to the Eagles of Death Metal. Kind of like Queens of the Stone Age mixed with White Stripes, not bad...

Not bad, not for me, tho. :( Maybe its because I HATE the name. They sound nothing like either The Eagles, or death metal.

DMAC 04-26-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Not bad, not for me, tho. :( Maybe its because I HATE the name. They sound nothing like either The Eagles, or death metal.

Yes I hate the name too. Not too big on the band either.

Halfcan 04-26-2006 08:58 PM

a band called Jamestown-is very good.

DMAC 04-26-2006 08:58 PM

I'll tell ya, one place you can find new music is at www.pandora.com. You make a station based on a favorite band of yours. Say your band is Pink Floyd, it will play you Floyd songs, plus find you lesser known artists that have the same sound.

I am listening to the Floyd station now, and am listening to a band called The Perishers, and I like it, the song is called "Weekends"

DMAC 04-26-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
a band called Jamestown-is very good.

Halfcan knows of the Pandora.

DMAC 04-26-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

I'll tell ya, one place you can find new music is at www.pandora.com. You make a station based on a favorite band of yours. Say your band is Pink Floyd, it will play you Floyd songs, plus find you lesser known artists that have the same sound.

I am listening to the Floyd station now, and am listening to a band called The Perishers, and I like it, the song is called "Weekends"

Oookayyy, The Perishers suck.

jspchief 04-26-2006 09:37 PM

Reggae fans, I just heard a few songs by an artist named Elan. I haven't heard a lot yet, but like what I've heard. Definate Marley flavor to it.

http://www.myspace.com/elansmusic

Check out 'Nothing is Worth Losing You'

htismaqe 04-27-2006 09:15 AM

www.wolfmother.com

DMAC 04-27-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe

Hey, I like this. This thread is just what I needed.

jspchief 04-27-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Whoa. That's good stuff.

Reaper16 04-27-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Nice rec!

jspchief 04-27-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Nice rec!

So what genre is it?

NewChief 04-27-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

They're definitely good, but they're such an over the top homage to 70s rock that it almost moves into the realm of parody.

As for "new" stuff I've been listening to:
M.I.A. Arular. English female rapper from Sri Lanka who mixes heavily political lyrics with groovy beats that sometimes sound like they were made on a $25 keyboard salvaged from a dumpster (which they probably were).

DMAC 04-27-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
So what genre is it?

Click on their myspace link on the homepage.

DMAC 04-27-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
They're definitely good, but they're such an over the top homage to 70s rock that it almost moves into the realm of parody.

Got anything better?

NewChief 04-27-2006 10:06 AM

Quote:

Got anything better?

Edited my post to add something to the thread. I like Wolfmother by the way. I'm not bashing them in the least.

Reaper16 04-27-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

So what genre is it?

Sounds like Zeppelin influenced stoner rock to me.

Reaper16 04-27-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Click on their myspace link on the homepage.

ROFL, the third thing on thaty My Space genre says Black Metal. That's a definite 100% no.

NewChief 04-27-2006 10:09 AM

Quote:

Yup. The Black Metal thing probably comes from people comparing them to Black Sabbath, which also isn't Black Metal. They're like a 70s throwback to the darker psychedelic rock and roll.

DMAC 04-27-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

ROFL, the third thing on thaty My Space genre says Black Metal. That's a definite 100% no.

Yeah thats what I thought, although there is a hint of Black Sabbath to them.

jspchief 04-27-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

OK. Hardcore it is! :)

QuikSsurfer 04-27-2006 10:10 AM

http://www.myspace.com/theblackkeys
saw these guys in oxford about a year ago.. very, VERY good.. duo from ohio.

set you free - good jam :)

NewChief 04-27-2006 10:13 AM

Oh, another one that lots of people already know but which I just started listening to alot:

The Fiery Furnaces

You can hear their music on the music link of the site. White Stripes comparisons are inevitable, as they're a bro/sis duo. That being said, they're way weirder and more complex than the Stripes, whose whole point was to be simple and deconstructed.

DMAC 04-27-2006 10:19 AM

If anyone is into Grateful Dead type jam bands, this band out of San Fran is pretty good, they have more pshychedelic guitar and a more modern sound to them than other jam bands

http://www.tealeafgreen.com/

Baby Lee 04-27-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Is that the band Maxim Magazine is raving about in the most recent [Meadow Soprano] issue?
If so, Maxim rec + Htis rec = BL purchase. :thumb:

QuikSsurfer 04-27-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Oh, another one that lots of people already know but which I just started listening to alot:

The Fiery Furnaces

You can hear their music on the music link of the site. White Stripes comparisons are inevitable, as they're a bro/sis duo. That being said, they're way weirder and more complex than the Stripes, whose whole point was to be simple and deconstructed.

lol
love this band.. have seen the live 3 times now :)

jspchief 04-27-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer
http://www.myspace.com/theblackkeys
saw these guys in oxford about a year ago.. very, VERY good.. duo from ohio.

set you free - good jam :)

Very bluesy flavor.

htismaqe 04-27-2006 10:26 AM

Quote:

You REALLY have a hangup about it, don't you? :D

CosmicPal 04-27-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

If anyone is into Grateful Dead type jam bands, this band out of San Fran is pretty good, they have more pshychedelic guitar and a more modern sound to them than other jam bands

http://www.tealeafgreen.com/

Very groovy band. :thumb:

htismaqe 04-27-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

They remind me more of Deep Purple.

htismaqe 04-27-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
Is that the band Maxim Magazine is raving about in the most recent [Meadow Soprano] issue?
If so, Maxim rec + Htis rec = BL purchase. :thumb:

I don't know, don't read Maxim.

They're album comes out May 2nd.

Also, I strongly recommend the self-titled debut album from The Datsuns.

http://www.thedatsuns.com/ASP/news/default.asp

NewChief 04-27-2006 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer
lol
love this band.. have seen the live 3 times now :)

They're pretty awesome. I'm sure they're great live as well. Good call on the Black Keys.

DMAC 04-27-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

The Fiery Furnaces

"Marty, that was very interesting, ...uhhh.... music"

NewChief 04-27-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

"Marty, that was very interesting, ...uhhh.... music"

Too strange for ya? ;)

DMAC 04-27-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Too strange for ya? ;)

I don't know yet. I am a little taken back, thats all.

NewChief 04-27-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

I don't know yet. I am a little taken back, thats all.

It helps to listen to it on a good quality stereo cranked up very loud. It's textural and multilayered. The thing I probably find the most interesting is how something that starts as chaotic noise in the background will eventually work its way into the forefront and becomes the driving melody for the song.

DMAC 04-27-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

It helps to listen to it on a good quality stereo cranked up very loud. It's textural and multilayered. The thing I probably find the most interesting is how something that starts as chaotic noise in the background will eventually work its way into the forefront and becomes the driving melody for the song.

OK, I will burn a couple of their songs and play them at home tonight. This has intrigued me, NewChief...

Reaper16 04-27-2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Hell yeah there's a hint of Sabbath to them. The guitat tone is Iomi-esque.

Of course, Sabbath has nothing at all to do with black metal, thus making your use of "although" unnecessary.

*Yes, I do have a hangup about blatantly incorrect things! (I'm convinved the BM label on thier MySpace is a joke)*

DMAC 04-27-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

thus making your use of "although" unnecessary.

I know, I realized I should not have put the although, although I am too lazy to edit it.

Reaper16 04-27-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

I know, I realized I should not have put the although, although I am too lazy to edit it.

I wish I were too lazy to care, myself. :) Though I'd have a lower post count.

DMAC 04-27-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

I wish I were too lazy to care, myself. :) Though I'd have a lower post count.

True, yes... hmmmm...

OK, back to the music.

Nzoner 04-27-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread,I'm listening right now and so far these guys are great.

Nzoner 04-27-2006 04:00 PM

I started a thread on these guys but if you get a chance check out Jadis and scroll down and download the sample Need To Breathe for starters.

BTW,has anyone checked out Earl Slick in the thread header yet?

jspchief 04-27-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

I started a thread on these guys but if you get a chance check out Jadis and scroll down and download the sample Need To Breathe for starters.

BTW,has anyone checked out Earl Slick in the thread header yet?

I like the music from Jadis but I'm not a big fan of the vocals.

I like that Earl Slick. I take it it's all instrumental?

Nzoner 04-27-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

I like the music from Jadis but I'm not a big fan of the vocals.

I like that Earl Slick. I take it it's all instrumental?

I think there's 3 instrumentals of the 10,Slick used to play with Bowie among others so the rest of the songs all include guest singers Bowie being one of them.

If you check out the link in the header there's an interview with Slick who discusses some of the others.

Nzoner 05-01-2006 10:10 PM

Quote:

Finally got around to downloading The White Unicorn,thanks again,great suggestion.

MOhillbilly 05-02-2006 10:41 AM

NEW SHIT MO LIKES HERE - http://www.njwrecords.com/index2.php

http://www.myspace.com/icepick

Ice T, Roger Miret, Freddy Madball, Paul Bearer,
Al Barr, and Pete from 100 Demons jami jasta.

Inspector 05-10-2006 05:56 AM

http://www.myspace.com/vedera

Formally known as Veda.

I've mentioned these guys a few times before. They are a national touring band from KC (Blue Springs) and they have a Chiefsplanet connection. They are currently in talks with Epic records about a new contract.

The sample songs on this site aren't my personal favorite, but still good stuff.

Reaper16 05-10-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector
They are currently in talks with Epic records about a new contract.

Cool. They deserve it; I adore "The Weight of an Empty Room."

NewChief 05-10-2006 06:44 PM

Been listening to a local band called Woods Afire. Sort of an alt-country, indy gothic (in the Southern sense, not goth sense) band. Pretty cool stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/woodsafire

They also occasionally tour up Kansas City way. Uncle Junior and Get Behind Me are two songs worth checking out.

Nzoner 06-07-2006 07:34 AM

I ordered a cd last night from listening to some 30 second samples of The Derek Trucks Band,he was the former slide guitarist for The Allman Brothers Band.

What little I heard sounded great.

phisherman 06-07-2006 08:40 AM

derek trucks is REAL good...super humble and down to earth guy too...
he's married to blues artist susan tedeschi..man, their kids are going to just radiate music

bp

phisherman 06-07-2006 08:41 AM

also, i think it's on his album joyful noise, he does an out of this world cover of afro blue, a mongo santamaria tune popularized by john coltrane in the 60's

bp

Reaper16 06-07-2006 10:37 AM

Derek Trucks is the absolute shit.

SLAG 06-07-2006 10:43 AM

http://www.rebelmeetsrebel.com/

a David Allen Coe and Pantera Project..

Very Interesting

StcChief 06-07-2006 10:56 AM

Derek Trucks Band sounds good from website....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Trucks_Band

Nephew of Allman Brothers original member Butch Trucks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_%22Butch%22_Trucks

jlscorpio 06-07-2006 11:14 AM

Wolfmother owns. Stoner rock rules. Black Metal shouldn't be linked to Sabbath, the name of the genre comes from Venom.

Reaper16 06-07-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlscorpio
Wolfmother owns. Stoner rock rules. Black Metal shouldn't be linked to Sabbath, the name of the genre comes from Venom.

I'm positive that I've never heard anyone link Black Metal to Sabbath before that Myspace assertation. That's the first I've seen that comparison. I rolf'd hard.

Nzoner 06-11-2006 10:20 AM

Like I've stated before I got out of the music loop for awhile so I'm counting on threads like these to help me discover some new sounds.

That said I've recently come across the band Spock's Beard.I'm assuming others have heard of them(especially if you love progressive rock)and if you have when did you start listening to them?

Personally,I downloaded songs from each of their projects yesterday and am listening to them as I type this.I'm really loving their sound.

Nzoner 06-13-2006 08:34 AM

Came across yet another this weekend called The Tangent.Here's some reviews of their new album for you prog rockers.

"It's brilliant. - the Tangent has just broken away from the pack and is now sitting in that small, rarified circle of prog bands that matter."

"The Tangent - progressive rock supergroup - will be releasing their new album, A Place in the Queue, in early February. It's been touted by many as a masterpiece. And I agree, it is."

"the 25 minute track develops itself into one of the most ingenious epic tracks that recent prog history has thrown up."

"...is worthy of direct comparison to King Crimson and it's not often you can say that."

"I'll go as far as saying that A Place in the Queue may be the best progressive rock album since the 1970's."

Reaper16 06-15-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Came across yet another this weekend called The Tangent.Here's some reviews of their new album for you prog rockers.

"It's brilliant. - the Tangent has just broken away from the pack and is now sitting in that small, rarified circle of prog bands that matter."

"The Tangent - progressive rock supergroup - will be releasing their new album, A Place in the Queue, in early February. It's been touted by many as a masterpiece. And I agree, it is."

"the 25 minute track develops itself into one of the most ingenious epic tracks that recent prog history has thrown up."

"...is worthy of direct comparison to King Crimson and it's not often you can say that."

"I'll go as far as saying that A Place in the Queue may be the best progressive rock album since the 1970's."

What have you heard by these guys? I'm going to check thier stuff out this weekend based on this post, and would like to hear a first hand reccomendation.

Nzoner 06-15-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

What have you heard by these guys? I'm going to check thier stuff out this weekend based on this post, and would like to hear a first hand reccomendation.

So far I've been checking out their latest A Place In The Queue(which is what the above critiques is on)and my fav so far is called Lost In London followed by A Place In The Queue and The Sun In My Eyes Extended Mix.

Enjoy and let me know what you thought.

Nzoner 08-18-2006 12:09 PM

The Black Angels

Formed in May 2004 in Austin, TX, The Black Angels' psychedelically induced rock n' roll evokes the spirit of the 1960's while awakening the heavy droning rhythms inspired by The Velvet Underground. Picture a red moonlit night, deep in the heart of Texas, with the ghosts of Nico and Timothy Leary being called back from the dead to guide you on a journey through Heaven & Hell and back again.

Been listening to their first project from 2005,big thumbs up from me.

Simplex3 08-18-2006 04:20 PM

I've just been checking out Nonpoint - To The Pain. Bullet With A Name, the opening track, kicks ass.

Nzoner 08-19-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner
Like I've stated before I got out of the music loop for awhile so I'm counting on threads like these to help me discover some new sounds.

That said I've recently come across the band Spock's Beard.I'm assuming others have heard of them(especially if you love progressive rock)and if you have when did you start listening to them?

Personally,I downloaded songs from each of their projects yesterday and am listening to them as I type this.I'm really loving their sound.

Came across this from Spock's Beard,enjoy.

Overture

Gibberish

gblowfish 08-21-2006 07:31 PM

The Greenskeepers "It Puts the Lotion On Its Skin"
Lou Reed meets Buffalo Bill.
You can dance to it, just don't tuck your Johnson between your thighs...
http://tinyurl.com/znmb9

Also, here's "OK Go" video with the 8 treadmills, very inventive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zY_4QkJGls

old_geezer 08-22-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to join the crowd praising this band. I picked up the album yesterday and really enjoyed it. Of course, I'm new to metal and I've got my son giving me some pointers on which bands to listen to. One obscure band (to me) that I like a lot is Monster Magnet's "Powertrip".

DMAC 11-27-2006 03:14 PM

Found this band...

The Raconteurs

White Stripes guy headlines with less annoying voice.

Check out Blue Veins and Broken Boy Soldier.

http://www.myspace.com/theraconteurs

DMAC 12-06-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Came across this from Spock's Beard,enjoy.

Overture

Gibberish

You didn't let me down with Mac n Cheese matched up with a peanut butter sandwich, so I am going to really check these guys out.

Are you still listening to them? Which album should I start with? Snow looks like it's their "masterwork"

BTW...BUMP! This thread has really stalled. I am ashamed of all of you for letting it die. Including myself. I hope to see some more replies, I need new music, I have exhausted a 20lb CD folder and a full IPOD.

Nightwish 12-06-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

I've heard Spock's Beard. I used to be a regular on the Dream Theater board, and I got introduced to them there. When I first listened to their albums, I found them talented, but underwhelming. But the way the DT fanbase kept gushing about them as if they were godlike helped to nudge me from "underwhelmed" to "can't friggin' stand them!" Same goes for Pain of Salvation.

Dark Horse 12-06-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

I'm going to buy their album as soon as I find it, thanks.

Chiefsrocker 12-06-2006 08:46 PM

These guys aren't new, but their new song is pretty good. I saw the vid on Headbanger's Ball last Saturday and then downloaded the song. The band is Mushroomhead and the song is "Simple Survival" from the album "Savior Sorrow". I am not a fan of theirs, but this song is pretty good!!!! (IMO) I played it at a gig last weekend, and had a lot of questions on what song this was and who sang it. A mushroomhead fan had never heard it before, and really liked it. :rockon:

Reaper16 12-06-2006 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefsrocker
These guys aren't new, but their new song is pretty good. I saw the vid on Headbanger's Ball last Saturday and then downloaded the song. The band is Mushroomhead and the song is "Simple Survival" from the album "Savior Sorrow". I am not a fan of theirs, but this song is pretty good!!!! (IMO) I played it at a gig last weekend, and had a lot of questions on what song this was and who sang it. A mushroomhead fan had never heard it before, and really liked it. :rockon:

I still haven;t heard anything off of their new album, becaus ethe have a new viocalist. I loved thier old stuff, tho.

Braincase 12-07-2006 06:58 AM

Two groups whose albums I plan on buying over the holidays...

Dragonforce
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GuX2QaEG_8s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GuX2QaEG_8s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and Trivium

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYxyHukCSaM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYxyHukCSaM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>