ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Excel Question (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269433)

Chiefs=Champions 01-29-2013 03:43 AM

Excel Question

Is there a way in which you can sort your columns into simlar names? For instance i have a bunch of similar addresses with different names, can i bunch the same addresses together?? Hopefully that makes sense. Thx in advance.

NJChiefsFan 01-29-2013 04:07 AM

Are the addresses in the same cell as the names or different? If the addresses are in their own cells in a separate column you should be able to just select all of them and then assort either ascending or descending and get them in alphabetical order. Then the same addresses would be together.

Let me know if I am missing anything. I am an average Excel user so odds are when you come back somebody a little more handy will be here. I also am not on my computer with Excel so I am just going off the memory of what options there are. Also a little confused on if you are asking for more than I think you are.

Dayze 01-29-2013 09:06 AM

hmm. not sure what you're asking. Im sort of an excel geek (unfortunately)

loochy 01-29-2013 09:24 AM

i could probably do what you want, but i have no clue what you are asking

KC_Lee 01-29-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 9360892)
Is there a way in which you can sort your columns into simlar names? For instance i have a bunch of similar addresses with different names, can i bunch the same addresses together?? Hopefully that makes sense. Thx in advance.

Do you mean similar like this?

123 Main St.
123 Main Street
123 main
123 MAIN STR.

htismaqe 01-29-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9361176)
Do you mean similar like this?

123 Main St.
123 Main Street
123 main
123 MAIN STR.

It's gotta be harder than that. You could do that with an alphabetical sort.

KC_Lee 01-29-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361193)

Well that was just a overly simplifed example. Just trying figure out what is being asked here.

If it's a case of needing to group similar postal addresses Excel would not be the tool to use. Access or some other DB program would need to be used to query the data using the LIKE command with wild card, look up tables, etc.

NJChiefsFan 01-29-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9361193)

Yeah that's what I figured. I have him that answer just in case but I didn't really know what he was asking.

ModSocks 01-29-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9361203)
Well that was just a overly simplifed example. Just trying figure out what is being asked here.

If it's a case of needing to group similar postal addresses Excel would not be the tool to use. Access or some other DB program would need to be used to query the data using the LIKE command with wild card, look up tables, etc.

Hrmmm......

What he COULD do is create a "Zone" column. I guess that would depend on how many address he had but.....

He could give each Region a number or letter. Then designate that number/letter to each address, then sort it by "zone" .

ModSocks 01-29-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9361696)
Hrmmm......

What he COULD do is create a "Zone" column. I guess that would depend on how many address he had but.....

He could give each Region a number or letter. Then designate that number/letter to each address, then sort it by "zone" .

Better yet, why not just sort the addresses by city? What exactly are you trying to do?

Bob Dole 01-29-2013 12:46 PM

Open the VBE. Choose Workbook and the select view code. Insert
Code:

Sheet1.Cells.ClearContents
on line above End Sub. Run.

Profits.

loochy 01-29-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9361811)
Code:

Profits.

msgbox "LOOCHY IS YOUR MASTER NOW", vbCritical, "LOOCHY IS YOUR MASTER NOW"

Buehler445 01-29-2013 01:01 PM

There is a concatenate function if you're needing to pull the addresses apart, but I don't remember much about it.

Dayze 01-29-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 9361811)
Code:

Profits.

LMAO

DaKCMan AP 01-29-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9361871)
There is a concatenate function if you're needing to pull the addresses apart, but I don't remember much about it.

If you're trying to do that there's also a 'text to columns' wizard.