ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music New Weird Al Yankovic Album!!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284978)

MTG#10 07-18-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10753709)
So Weird Al grew up in Compton by the Compton Swap Meet. Doesnt get anymore hood then that! lol I just found that out on a L.A based forum. haha

Guess you never heard of his album Straight Outta Lynwood.

kcxiv 07-18-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10753740)

if it was in the 90's i missed alot of things, from 92 til about 98 i dont remember much of anything. lol

MTG#10 07-18-2014 07:22 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N9qYF9DZPdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyong Bluth 07-18-2014 10:35 PM

I tip my hat to the guy when album sales are down, and the genre of music videos is almost on death's doorstep, for creating a nice PR / media event. Wise use of use of highly trafficked web content providers, when typically only the a handful of major artists create a blip in the news cycle when releasing a new album.

Kudos to him for attacking the market in a new / unique approach in the digital, new age of the music industry!

DaFace 07-18-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10754281)
I tip my hat to the guy when album sales are down, and the genre of music videos is almost on death's doorstep, for creating a nice PR / media event. Wise use of use of highly trafficked web content providers, when typically only the a handful of major artists create a blip in the news cycle when releasing a new album.

Kudos to him for attacking the market in a new / unique approach in the digital, new age of the music industry!

I think that a lot of his staying power has come from his ability to constantly adapt to new things (both musically and in terms of marketing). From UHF and Al TV back in the day to this distribution model today, he's always had a great feel for how to get noticed.

kcxiv 07-18-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10753740)

ok, that straight out of lynnwood was 2006. I remember the white and nerdy song, but nothing else i dont think. i didnt know his album was called that back then.

Anyways, he grew up in Lynwood, but right at the Lynwood/Compton line in the ghetto im reading. One of the posters talked about his uncle knew him or something when they were growing up.

The thing about Weird Al is he can adapt and sing any music style. From MIchael Jackson to Nirvana then to rap. haha He sounds good in all his songs too.

Pitt Gorilla 07-18-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10751936)
Kristen Schaal, she's a fairly successful comedian and on the Daily Show a lot.

Also on Bob's Burgers.

SLAG 07-19-2014 01:52 AM

Mandatory Fun only $5.99 Download on Amazon - Go Get it!

BigMeatballDave 07-19-2014 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 10754409)
Mandatory Fun only $5.99 Download on Amazon - Go Get it!

It's free on Kickass torrents lol

Fire Me Boy! 07-19-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 10754434)
It's free on Kickass torrents lol

If you can't afford $6, you have bigger problems than being a lowlife pirate.

MTG#10 07-19-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10754304)

Anyways, he grew up in Lynwood, but right at the Lynwood/Compton line in the ghetto im reading.

I wouldn't doubt it, Lynwood and Compton are basically the same city.

Baby Lee 07-19-2014 11:26 AM

http://popcrush.com/weird-al-yankovi...roblems-video/

Embedded for future reference, popwatch disabling embeds until Monday.

<object width="575" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USRV81400345&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=null&playerType=embedded&env=0&cult ureName=en_us&cultureIsRTL=False"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videoplayer.vevo.com/embed/Embedded?videoId=USRV81400345&playlist=false&autoplay=0&playerId=null&playerType=embedded&env=0&cult ureName=en_us&cultureIsRTL=False" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="575" height="324" bgcolor="#000000" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

The Bad Guy 07-19-2014 11:46 AM

I don't buy a lot of albums, but you absolutely have to support Weird Al.

What a legend.

MTG#10 07-19-2014 05:00 PM

Yeah this will be the first music Ive paid for in 10 years.

Anyong Bluth 07-19-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10754739)
I don't buy a lot of albums, but you absolutely have to support Weird Al.

What a legend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10755017)
Yeah this will be the first music Ive paid for in 10 years.

I'll fully admit to try before you buy when it comes to music, especially new bands. I also make sure that I support the artists that I do enjoy / listen to their music. To a degree, I also try to make an effort to see independent / smaller films that are intriguing / or actually attempt to be original or thought provoking. Either by checking it out at the box office, or in recent years, a lot of independent films are available On Demand either concurrently with their theatrical release or very shortly after.

It's a fair trade off, now, but those teenage years it's not financially possible for most, so I can understand to a degree why there's always a segment of people who simply pirate it.

To be fair, those fans, typically younger, also tend to go to more concerts and / or buy affiliated merchandise by an artist. Which in today's industry, and even back in the day to a lesser percentage, is where most artists make the lionshare of their money. The typical recording deal for an artist is around 6 points. That's 6%, so if an album is $9.99, the artist will see $0.60 on each cd sold. In fact, that number is lower in reality, because the label take a portion of that back to cover expenses like promotion, music videos, and other various expenses.

Of course it hurts the bottom line and is a loss for the artist, but it is exponentially a much larger hit for the label. Unless you are a rare mega artist or band that sold astronomical numbers, like the douches in Metallica, who ended up alienating a lot of fans. Plus, it hasn't completely killed mega sales- Taylor Swift, for example. The digital age has simply created a shift in the business model, and to a degree, created a vehicle for lesser known bands to gain a following and raise ticket sales when they do tour.