ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265934)

Hammock Parties 08-12-2013 06:47 PM

You will CALL ME MASTER. LMAO

NewChief 08-12-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9879010)
I've played a mountain of D&D, from First Edition through A&D through 3.0, 3.5 and now 4.0. I've played World of Darkness, GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds and games going all the way back to Traveller, where creating the character is often more fun than playing it, unless of course you die during character generation, Champions, and a Cyberpunk game called Shadowrun. I even played a fun and silly Western RPG that probably nobody here ever heard of called Boot Hill.

And yet in all that time, I've never played a Star Wars RPG. God knows why, sounds fun as hell. Heck, I even had another player who was basically a Jedi created under some infinitely flexible character creation system, though which one I've forgotten. But "Star Wars roleplaying game"? Nope, never done that...

:shake:

Not to derail but:

Are you guys still playing 4th? Are you making the change to Next? My groups isn't really interested in Next and sees it as a step backwards for gaming (we really love the tactical complexity of 4th ed. though).

Anyway, this is my first foray into SW as well.

Hammock Parties 08-12-2013 09:07 PM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...ke_emperor.jpg

scorpio 08-12-2013 09:22 PM

All of the actors are way too old to pull off Dark Empire. It could probably work if they retool it to feature the Solo twins.

Hammock Parties 08-12-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpio (Post 9880189)
All of the actors are way too old to pull off Dark Empire. It could probably work if they retool it to feature the Solo twins.

I agree, but certain plot points would be awesome.

Dark Empire has one of my favorite comic panels of all time. I'd love to see this in live action. I'd jizz my nerd pantaloons.

http://i.imgur.com/f7fNlox.jpg

duncan_idaho 08-12-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9879010)
I've played a mountain of D&D, from First Edition through A&D through 3.0, 3.5 and now 4.0. I've played World of Darkness, GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds and games going all the way back to Traveller, where creating the character is often more fun than playing it, unless of course you die during character generation, Champions, and a Cyberpunk game called Shadowrun. I even played a fun and silly Western RPG that probably nobody here ever heard of called Boot Hill.

And yet in all that time, I've never played a Star Wars RPG. God knows why, sounds fun as hell. Heck, I even had another player who was basically a Jedi created under some infinitely flexible character creation system, though which one I've forgotten. But "Star Wars roleplaying game"? Nope, never done that...

:shake:

It's a hell of a lot of fun if it's set up right and the GM knows the universe well enough to make it fun.

BIggest problem I run into is that resources are typically not great... you have to get really creative to get around the lack of cool/interesting monsters that are actually a challenge.

Force users can really break the crap out of the game.

My game was a Legacy-era campaign. Epic/destiny/etc. I had a great time with it. Especially trolling the hell out of them by continually popping Bantha Rawk into the picture and having him drop the classic "it's a hard galaxy" line.

duncan_idaho 08-12-2013 11:25 PM

It will be interesting to see how they incorporate Palpatine, if he is indeed brought in.

Options I can think of:

1) Ghost/Force presence/Holocron/etc.

2) Clone (if they are rebooting the post OT continuity, I could see doing the Zahn trilogy with Palpatine instead of Joruus C'baoth)

3) Flashback (though who would be flashing back I can't think... maybe Mara Jade?)

Hammock Parties 08-13-2013 01:18 AM

Ooh, I like the force ghost palps idea....maybe he can corrupt some dark-leaning skywalker offspring from the great beyond.

007 08-13-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9880507)
Ooh, I like the force ghost palps idea....maybe he can corrupt some dark-leaning skywalker offspring from the great beyond.

hopefully not a whinyass like Anakin.

DaneMcCloud 08-13-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9880510)
hopefully not a whinyass like Anakin.

Lucas really did screw the pooch on Anakin. We were all expecting a confident badass and instead got a whiny bitch.

Sad.

CrazyPhuD 08-13-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9880518)
Lucas really did screw the pooch on Anakin. We were all expecting a confident badass and instead got a whiny bitch.

Sad.

We badly...badly....badly...need Mel brooks to make a Spaceballs Episode 1. Imagine what he could do with Anakin and Jar Jar......

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XU1MAokrrUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho 08-13-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9880507)

Or Kyp Durron (whom I always felt was an underutilized character... NJO should have featured him even more)...

DaneMcCloud 08-13-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9880665)
Or Kyp Durron (whom I always felt was an underutilized character... NJO should have featured him even more)...

I thought he was an awful character. That's one of the biggest issues to me, with earlier EU books: They gave away Force powers like candy. Not just little things but huge Force powers that made them god-like.

On the contrary, I really liked the Corran Horn character. Enough Force power to be a Jedi but he used his smarts as well. To me, that's far more interesting than some dude that can blow up a sun or a planet with his mind.

duncan_idaho 08-13-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9881721)
I thought he was an awful character. That's one of the biggest issues to me, with earlier EU books: They gave away Force powers like candy. Not just little things but huge Force powers that made them god-like.

On the contrary, I really liked the Corran Horn character. Enough Force power to be a Jedi but he used his smarts as well. To me, that's far more interesting than some dude that can blow up a sun or a planet with his mind.

Poorly utilized is probably a better choice of words on my part.

From a macro level, Kyp Durron is an interesting, engaging character. Ties/relationship with Han Solo. Extremely powerful. Interesting - and dangerous - background. Good Jedi connections to interesting members of Luke's first class (Tanel Ka, Dorsk 81).

DaneMcCloud 08-13-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9881863)
Poorly utilized is probably a better choice of words on my part.

From a macro level, Kyp Durron is an interesting, engaging character. Ties/relationship with Han Solo. Extremely powerful. Interesting - and dangerous - background. Good Jedi connections to interesting members of Luke's first class (Tanel Ka, Dorsk 81).

Some of the EU authors had good ideas for characters but they were poorly managed and supervised by LucasFilm. Timothy Zahn was actually told to curtail Force powers because they had gotten so out of hand, like evil superheroes. Lucas himself dialed them back considerably in the prequels as well.

At one point, Zahn intimated that Luke never dealt with the cloned Emperor ("I don't know WHO that really was") which makes this report rather dubious.

My favorite EU character is definitely Jorj Car'dass. He was like wiser Lando/Han that was very successful, wealthy and experienced.