ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sac's 2014 Chiefs Mock Draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275310)

jd1020 08-15-2013 12:16 PM

LONG LIVE POLYGAMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCUnited 08-15-2013 01:24 PM

Ty Detmer for QB coach.

Saccopoo 08-15-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9887135)
Too much from 1 state. Also, the lack of southeastern conference representatives is somewhat shocking.

Screw the SEC.

And Van Noy and Hoffman are legit. Van Noy is pretty much a guaranteed first rounder and Hoffman should be in the 2/3 range.

From Bucky Brooks:

Quote:

As a young scout for the Seattle Seahawks, I learned from wily defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes that playmakers are valued at a premium on defense. He repeatedly told me defenders with a proven track record of delivering game-changing plays should be held in high regard because the NFL is about creating disruption and turnovers on defense.

When I cast my eyes to college looking for a defender capable of living up to that standard, I keep coming back to BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy.

Now, I know some diehard SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 fans will take offense to my selection of Van Noy, but he definitely has a penchant for playmaking. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound linebacker registered 13 sacks, 22 tackles for loss, six forced fumbles, two interceptions, two blocked kicks and a fumble recovery last season as a junior. Those numbers speak volumes about his ability to impact the game in every way.

Breaking down the All-22 coaches tape of Van Noy, I believe he is an athletic playmaker with exceptional instincts and awareness. He has a tremendous feel for the game, which is why he is always around the ball against the run or pass. He is an explosive "run-and-chase" defender against the run with a closing burst that allows him to track down runners from the backside. With a game built on finesse and athleticism instead of brute strength and physicality, Van Noy fails to consistently set the edge against powerful blockers.

Although he yields some ground at the point of attack, he eventually works free and fights to get in on the play late.

Van Noy is at his best rushing the passer on blitzes from the second level. He uses his quickness and agility to slip past running backs in the hole on the way to the quarterback. He also displays a natural "bend and burst" maneuver when collapsing the pocket from the outside on speed rushes. Although he lacks the hand skills and strength to overwhelm offensive tackles on bull-rush moves or other power-based techniques, Van Noy has a knack for getting to the quarterback off the edge. Most importantly, he has habit for knocking the ball out when he arrives, as evidenced by his 11 forced fumbles.

In coverage, he is a ball hawk with superb awareness and instincts. He deciphers route concepts quickly, while maintaining vision on the quarterback prior to the throw. This not only results in quick breaks, but it is one of the reasons he always appears to be around the ball as a zone defender.

From Walter:

Quote:

Van Noy decided to return for 2013 despite his strong juniot season. The senior's game is NFL-ready, but his frame looks a little undersized. Van Noy (6-3, 235) should get stronger to defend the run. It wouldn't be surprising if he is slightly smaller than his listed measurements. Van Noy could have the frame to add 10-15 pounds of bulk and that would be a good idea.

Van Noy is extremely instinctive. He reads plays quickly and finds his way to the ball. Van Noy is very skilled at seeing where the ball is going and getting to the point of making an impact when plays head away from him. His good instincts can be seen with his developed ability to create sack-fumbles. Van Noy's instincts are one of his best traits.

Evaluators from the passing-driven NFL are going to love how Van Noy really excels in pass defense. He is an extremely explosive pass-rusher coming off the edge. The senior has a great getoff and routinely burns offensive tackles with speed rushes around the corner. His trademark skill is his phenomenal blitzing. Van Noy is a terror off the edge with the way he dodges blockers to hunt down the quarterback. He is excellent in pursuit, too; closing in an instant with superb speed to chase down ball-carriers. Van Noy looks like he has the potential to be a special pass-rusher in the NFL.

Van Noy's prowess as a pass-defender can also be seen in his pass coverage. As an outside linebacker, he is smooth dropping into coverage and moves well in space. Van Noy reads plays well and breaks on the ball. He has tremendous ball skills and makes the most of the opportunities to create turnovers.

While Van Noy isn't the biggest defender, he is surprisingly physical. Van Noy is a solid run-defender and doesn't hesitate to mix it up with offensive linemen. He frequently puts ball carriers to the turf with authority, especially quarterbacks. Van Noy sheds blocks better than expected considering his size, but this is an area he could improve for the next level.

Van Noy also has a non-stop motor that helps him to make plays. He gives relentless effort and that allows him to make an impact coming from across the field.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mU0cGhMIRPI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cody Hoffman:

Quote:

As a redshirt sophomore, Cody Hoffman finished with the following receiving line: 61 catches for 943 yards and 10 touchdowns. He proved himself to be a productive and reliable pass catcher all over the field. With size (6'4") and strong hands, a future as an NFL possession receiver seemed attainable. And then he played his junior season. Hoffman tallied 100 catches for 1,248 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was magnificent. Now, as a redshirt senior, not only are there BYU school records within his grasp, but his ceiling as an NFL player has been expanded.

Quote:

Hoffman is a very good catcher of the football. He has excellent body control and tracks the ball well. He is a pure hands catcher and does not rely on his body to trap the football.

Hoffman is quicker than fast and does a good job creating separation with his ability to get in and out of breaks. He can also get open by using his ability to sit in zones and find soft spots in coverage. He is a typical possession-style receiver and an overall solid route runner.

Hoffman has great ability as a sideline catcher. He can position himself well, catch the ball and get his feet down very naturally. He works the sidelines and intermediate routes very well. He is a very well-balanced player.

Hoffman will compete for the football at all times. He will make tough catches over the middle and does not seem to be afraid of taking a hit. He goes into traffic and competes.

The Cougars have relied heavily on Hoffman and he has consistently delivered for them. He was a clear first option on third-down and red zone opportunities last season.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TSGHyipXbtc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR 08-15-2013 11:47 PM

Mormons can't jump

DaneMcCloud 08-16-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9887343)
Ty Detmer for QB coach.

Screw that! Steve Young or Robbie Bosco!

Sorter 08-16-2013 01:36 PM

But really, far too many mormons.

jd1020 08-16-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9890519)
But really, far too many mormons.

I don't know shit about these mormon players but at least they play a position I could get behind.

Just out of curiosity I searched mock sites and Walter has us picking #14...

Quote:

Kansas City Chiefs: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

The Chiefs just spent the No. 1 overall pick on Eric Fisher, but they'll need a bookend for him once Branden Albert moves on. If you don't think Kansas City would draft two consecutive offensive tackles with its first-round picks, well, remember who's making the decisions now.
Dear god will I ever lose my shit if we take another ****ing RT.

SDChiefs 08-17-2013 08:43 AM

Fail

Direckshun 08-17-2013 05:28 PM

I love your mocks, Sac.

That said, this thread has me rolling.

Bewbies 08-17-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9890849)
I don't know shit about these mormon players but at least they play a position I could get behind.

Just out of curiosity I searched mock sites and Walter has us picking #14...

Dear god will I ever lose my shit if we take another ****ing RT.

I knew it! Even taking a T at #1 overall doesn't stop the OT in the 1st mocks... ROFL

Mr_Tomahawk 08-17-2013 07:39 PM

11-5 eh...?

Hog's Gone Fishin 08-17-2013 10:03 PM

Definitely too many morons.

SanDiego49er 08-18-2013 04:07 AM

You sure like players from the state of Utah.

Saccopoo 08-18-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiego49er (Post 9896586)
You sure like players from the state of Utah.

I live here. I watch them/read about them more than most people around here.

That said, Van Noy and Hoffman are legitimate talents. Van Noy will be a first rounder baring some huge slide. He was the better player with better talent than 2013 NFL Draft #5 overall pick Ziggy Ansah from the same team.

Cody Hoffman is the exact opposite of what we have in Jon Baldwin other than the size, which is similar. Hoffman runs exceptional routes, has terrific hands and plays hard every single down. He's going to make a superb possession receiver at the next level. If he doesn't get injured, he's going to break the vast majority of BYU receiving records this season, most of which are held by either Dennis Pitta (starting tight end for the Ravens) or Austin Collie. The guy can play and unless Baldwin has an epiphany, the Chiefs are going to be in the market for a solid, instinctive possession receiver this next off-season. Hes a bigger version of former Boise State, current St. Louis Rams receiver Austin Pettis. He'll be a 2/3/4 round draft pick.

I threw McGill in their for shits and giggles, knowing that everyone would go apeshit, which they did. However, McGill was lauded here in SLC as a top recruit when he signed with Utah in 2012. He was a first team Juco All-American with prototype size and speed. He's a legit 6'2", 210 lbs. guy with 4.4 speed. I haven't seen much of him because of the injury I previously stated, but if he's got any football skills at all, he's at least a latter round draft choice based on his physical skill set. In addition, Utah's HC Wittingham really prepares his players in terms of the next level, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. You are seeing a lot of Utes in the NFL currently.

People tend to have a myopic view of where potential NFL talent comes from, i.e., the SEC, but there is a lot of talent here in the mountain west. I'm just giving you a little wider perspective than what you'll typically find.

Pablo 08-18-2013 11:34 AM

LMAO

I know a guy who drove through Utah once. Maybe we can bring him in as an UDFA.