ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

Chiefspants 07-21-2014 09:21 PM

I'm all for going all in behind Marty. Let's do what we can to put a fire under Glass.

DeezNutz 07-21-2014 09:22 PM

We cannot trade Soria! Imagine how shitty this team would be without him! /past

Never forget. Shitty teams don't need great closers. Trade Holland, especially since we have a great insurance policy.

Only way we win "The Trade" is to maximize the return on Holland right now, with Shields packaged as the kicker.

TLO 07-21-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10759275)
I'm all for going all in behind Marty. Let's do what we can to put a fire under Glass.

Glass won't give a shit.

C3HIEF3S 07-21-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10759291)
Glass won't give a shit.

This

duncan_idaho 07-21-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10759279)
We cannot trade Soria! Imagine how shitty this team would be without him! /past

Never forget. Shitty teams don't need great closers. Trade Holland, especially since we have a great insurance policy.

Only way we win "The Trade" is to maximize the return on Holland right now, with Shields packaged as the kicker.

I'd have no problem with packaging either one of the great bullpen pieces for the right return. Key is getting back a piece that is more valuable to even a bad team than what you surrender.

It's also much easier to do when those two great bullpen pieces are both about to be so expensive, you can't really justify keeping both of them (especially if you're only going to use your primary setup man in the 8th inning of games that you lead, which is an incredibly stupid and short-sighted way to use a great floating bullpen piece, but short-sighted and stupid are great ways to describe Ned's managerial style).

Hootie 07-21-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10759317)
I'd have no problem with packaging either one of the great bullpen pieces for the right return. Key is getting back a piece that is more valuable to even a bad team than what you surrender.

It's also much easier to do when those two great bullpen pieces are both about to be so expensive, you can't really justify keeping both of them (especially if you're only going to use your primary setup man in the 8th inning of games that you lead, which is an incredibly stupid and short-sighted way to use a great floating bullpen piece, but short-sighted and stupid are great ways to describe Ned's managerial style).

I think the thing that frustrates me the most about Ned, and I'm not a picky guy when it comes to the manager...is the way he uses Wade Davis...a strikeout pitcher who hasn't given up one god damn extra base hit this year.

KChiefs1 07-21-2014 10:16 PM

Royals should have a fire sale this week.

duncan_idaho 07-21-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 10759343)
Royals should have a fire sale this week.

They won't.

Moore can't honestly justify selling off any pieces from the team that he built without indicting himself for what he's done (or not done).

This roster is made up exactly of what Dayton Moore has been selling for 8 years as the type of roster he needs to win and win big. A young, homegrown core. A few key (and expensive) veterans acquired to fill gaps and put the team over the top.

If he goes into fire sale mode, he admits that The Process has failed. And it has failed on the back of the most critical aspect of The Process: Home-grown talent.

Yordano Ventura and Danny Duffy are the first pitchers to live up to their hype and be productive MLB starters. So that's good.

But on the position side of the diamond? The two guys that were CRITICAL to this thing working are not getting it done. The Royals NEEDED one of Hosmer/Moustakas/Myers to be a superstar level bat you build the lineup around. They needed one of those guys to be a solid MLB player. And they should have expected one to bust.

Instead, they've got a mediocre hitter in Hosmer (who is incredibly streaky and untrustworthy as a lineup linchpin, not to mention terrible in tight spots) and a bust in Moustakas.

If Moore starts selling pieces from this team - after weaseling out a team-record payroll from Glass - I don't know how Glass could honestly allow Moore to keep his job. And I suspect Dayton knows that.

Sure-Oz 07-21-2014 10:24 PM

Here's hoping the Royals continue to lose

Deberg_1990 07-21-2014 10:33 PM

Goodbye Dayton

Thanks for nothing

tk13 07-21-2014 10:35 PM

No doubt DM is completely stuck. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he is burning up the phone lines trying to find some kind of offense. I think this team would have to continue spiraling downward over the next 5-7 days to consider selling. If he sells he's done... and if he sells at 2 games under .500, it looks even worse.

BigCatDaddy 07-21-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10759291)
Glass won't give a shit.

Sure he will.

The Royals were scared shitless after the SOC movement ousted Pioli. The fans were feeling empowered and were going to set their sites on the Royals next. So to prevent that from happening the team jacked up the payroll and traded 2 of their best prospects for Shields/Davis, traded for Santana and also re-signed Gutherie.

tk13 07-21-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10759357)
Sure he will.

The Royals were scared shitless after the SOC movement ousted Pioli. The fans were feeling empowered and were going to set their sites on the Royals next. So to prevent that from happening the team jacked up the payroll and traded 2 of their best prospects for Shields/Davis, traded for Santana and also re-signed Gutherie.

I don't know about that. I feel like the general consensus was anti-Shields trade. Fans love Shields, I think he's been a good influence on the other pitchers... but a lot of people didn't want to give up Wil Myers.

BigCatDaddy 07-21-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10759363)
I don't know about that. I feel like the general consensus was anti-Shields trade. Fans love Shields, I think he's been a good influence on the other pitchers... but a lot of people didn't want to give up Wil Myers.

Right, but it was all about pacifying the fan base at that moment. Payroll went up 21 millions between 2012 and 13. Banner weren't going to be flown in the off season but they had a solid April which is what they needed to cool things down a bit.

I think I remember an article on this topic where someone inside the Royals organization acknowledged they were aware and worried about what might happen if they flopped right off the bat during the 13 season.

Not sure if it was Glass that was worried, but I know that DM and the others were.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-21-2014 10:49 PM

Moore's predicament is a shining example of why GMs cannot be trusted to perform in the best interests of the organization, but in the best interests of themselves.

The best thing for the Royals is to strip your tradeable assets like Holland and Shields and get a solid return, but he won't do that because it exposes him.