ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science New Knee Ligament Found (Again) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278402)

jiveturkey 11-07-2013 03:49 PM

New Knee Ligament Found (Again)

There's some cool photos in the link.

http://www.ideastream.org/news/npr/243710560

Doctors have long overlooked a tiny band that connects two bones in the knee. Now Belgium surgeons say that's a mistake. The obscure structure is a full-fledged ligament. When it malfunctions, people recovering from anterior cruciate ligament injuries may run into trouble.

About 150 years ago, a prestigious surgeon in Paris found a new body part while operating on some his patients. He described the structure as a pearly, "fibrous band" on the outside of the bones in the knee.

That sure sounds like a ligament. But nobody really gave it much thought. And poof! Over the next hundred years or so, the body part was pretty much forgotten.

Then in the 1970s, the mysterious band of tissue reappeared in the medical literature every now and then. It went by several names. No one was really sure what the heck it was doing or even could tell with certainty which bones it connected.

Until now.

Orthopedic surgeons in Belgium have hunted down the enigmatic structure in cadavers. And what do you know — the good Parisian doctor was right.

There is an overlooked ligament in the knee. And it might be important for keeping your knee from twisting and turning, especially after an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament, or ACL.

Dr. Johan Bellemans and his team at the University Hospital Leuven described the ligament a few months ago in the Journal of Anatomy. They named it the anterolateral ligament, or ALL, and they offered the first clear data on what it's function is.

"It's eye-opening and provocative work," says Scott Rodeo, the chief of orthopedic surgery at the Hospital For Special Surgery in New York City. He wasn't involved in the study, but he saw Bellemans' team present the work at a conference.

"We've known for years that there was a hardened, fibrous tissue in this location," he tells Shots. "And that this area of tissue plays some role. So it's not such a dramatic discovery but kind of a rediscovery — or a refocusing of attention."

The ALL is about the length of a small thumb. The band connects the thigh bone to the shinbone on the outside of the leg. The ligament probably helps to keep the knee from rotating inward, the researchers suggest.

Damage to the ALL may be one reason why some people don't bounce back after ACL surgery. About 9 in 10 people who have their ACL repaired can return to sports with no problems at all, Rodeo says. But for some, the knee still isn't quite right. It buckles abnormally or gives way during sports.

"The ALL may have a role in small percentage of patients with persistent problems after the reconstruction of their ACL," Rodeo says. "We need to learn more about its function and pay more attention to it."

Even after ACL surgery is successful, Rodeo says, about half of people develop arthritis in the knee 15 years later.

"The next frontier in knee surgery is preventing arthritis," he says. "Should we start to focus on this ligamet? Maybe."

rageeumr 11-07-2013 03:51 PM

Although it was just found, Tony Moeaki has already been confirmed to have torn it.

BlackHelicopters 11-07-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 10168019)
Although it was just found, Tony Moeaki has already been confirmed to have torn it.

Lorenzo Cain sprained his while retrieving the newspaper from the driveway.

Rain Man 11-07-2013 04:05 PM

After 10 million knee surgeries, how is there a thumb-sized ligament that no one knew about? That seems insane.

TimeForWasp 11-07-2013 04:23 PM

Is it a legitimate ligament?

Psyko Tek 11-07-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10168054)
After 10 million knee surgeries, how is there a thumb-sized ligament that no one knew about? That seems insane.

you know, it's sort of messy and nasty in there during surgery...
blood, screaming and such...

AustinChief 11-07-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10168054)

Crap like this is why medical "science" is a bit of a joke as far as the "science" part. All the cool "sciency" stuff happens at the cellular or genetic level these days. I'm convinced that the rest of the field is mostly populated by castoffs.

Cephalic Trauma 11-08-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 10169148)
Crap like this is why medical "science" is a bit of a joke as far as the "science" part. All the cool "sciency" stuff happens at the cellular or genetic level these days. I'm convinced that the rest of the field is mostly populated by castoffs.

:LOL:

Oh, this was a serious post? Nothing cool happens outside of the molecular level?

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-08-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Jesus ****ing Christ.

Pitt Gorilla 11-08-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

yeah...

Ebolapox 11-08-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

as a molecular genetics (almost) phd, this isn't strictly correct--lot of cool shit going on at the macro level, man.

Pablo 11-08-2013 12:32 AM

LMAO

AustinChief 11-08-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 10169178)
:LOL:

Oh, this was a serious post? Nothing cool happens outside of the molecular level?

Not entirely serious (quite a bit of hyperbole) but I have long struggled with the slipshod science that goes on in the medical field. This is a near PERFECT example. Exactly HOW does something like this get "missed?"

This isn't really a terribly unique situation. This kind of arrogant assumption of "we know everything" about a particular subject (anatomy) happens ALL THE TIME in medicine. My favorite is in virology when something can't be explained and so they just make shit up. Can't explain why the AIDS virus doesn't show up for years? Oh well, umm... it's DORMANT! yeah that's it. Of course that supposition was completely wrong and yet it was held as fact without a shred of evidence. I can go on and on with examples of shoddy lazy science in the field. (yes it happens in other fields as well but none that I have seen to the degree it does here)

AustinChief 11-08-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebolapox (Post 10169210)
as a molecular genetics (almost) phd, this isn't strictly correct--lot of cool shit going on at the macro level, man.

My comment was more about the level of competency of the people involved at the various levels. I place far more trust in the geneticists and cellular biologists than I do many others in the field. Of course this is a giant generalization that of course has huge exceptions to it.

Ebolapox 11-08-2013 12:37 AM

eh, AIDS falls under the realm of molecular from a technical perspective :p