ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Has this economy continued to hurt your wallet, or are you doing just fine? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269415)

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358918)
Thanks buddy. Well it is math related which I am really, really good at. Anything I'm good at I like. And it pays well I believe. Ever heard of an actuary?

Heard the term, but never fully understood it. Just looked it up and that's a pretty good job. Average salary is right around six figures, but I don't get the impression you're average. Shit you're black, that makes you huge right out of the gate! That's a good job, man. Sounds like fun too, if you're a numbers nerd like us.

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:07 PM

yeah; groceries have been the biggest impact to our budget from what I can tell.

we're eating a lot more salads; or sammiches and soup...something cheap and smiple. we'll ahve a nice dinner on the weekends, but for the most part we eat cheap.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9358986)
Same here. We have one coming in June. Trying to get the bathroom remodeled and everything situated and ready before then. Ours was a slow remodel of the home that suddenly got expedited starting in October (apparently beer for me and vodka for her = high motility and egg migration).

I'm in IT, my paycheck is ok, nothing great but it pays the bills. She teaches, so again, its ok but we aren't going to retire by 40, thats for sure.

Once we get past the remodel bills, the hatchling bills, and square up on some of our previous debt, we'll dig ourselves back in with a new car purchase. The interest goblins keep coming back, over and over and over again.

Nothing like paying interest on a rolling depreciating asset! I drive a Lincoln. It's 15 years old, but still a nice ride. I take my chances with mechanic bills, and so far I've won a lot more than I've lost. Different strokes for different folks, so don't take this post as any kind of judgment. I'd just rather spend the extra money on hookers and blow! :D

|Zach| 01-28-2013 04:09 PM

It goes up and down and really depends on if an organization sees high quality photography as a luxury or not which obviously depends on their line of work and the way they go about their business. Have one huge client and a lot of medium sized work that gets me through just fine but would love to have one more big fish to work with throughout the year. Working on it.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358998)
yeah; groceries have been the biggest impact to our budget from what I can tell.

we're eating a lot more salads; or sammiches and soup...something cheap and smiple. we'll ahve a nice dinner on the weekends, but for the most part we eat cheap.

I really need to cut my food budget. I've gotten huge all over again, and spend too much money eating conveniently, and deliciously. I could easily shave $300 a month for my wife, brother in law, and myself by following this model. Groceries are out of ****ing control.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-28-2013 04:15 PM

my income is up 28% over where it was just about 18 months ago due to some unexpected things that occurred with my employer.

The downside is I am now overpaid for most if not all of my competitors, so should I ever need to find a new job, I would likely take a bath.

ndws 01-28-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9359001)
Nothing like paying interest on a rolling depreciating asset! I drive a Lincoln. It's 15 years old, but still a nice ride. I take my chances with mechanic bills, and so far I've won a lot more than I've lost. Different strokes for different folks, so don't take this post as any kind of judgment. I'd just rather spend the extra money on hookers and blow! :D

No judgement taken. I still have, and will always have my 5cyl diesel S-class (its 31 now). It just goes and is the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever had, but I'm usually in my company vehicle anyway. She just has a mom van with a jillion miles on it, so once we get past a few things, we'll be looking for a nice little Outback for her to tool around him. Maybe by then we'll have snow again to justify the awd. Its just a little car she and I both like.

My days of hooker and blow ended with that big ol' shiney I put on her finger. lol.

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9359015)
my income is up 28% over where it was just about 18 months ago due to some unexpected things that occurred with my employer.

The downside is I am now overpaid for most if not all of my competitors, so should I ever need to find a new job, I would likely take a bath.

the company I worked for (startup) went tits up 6 months after I was hired. took a 42% pay cut 6 months later.

.....not awesome.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9359018)
No judgement taken. I still have, and will always have my 5cyl diesel S-class (its 31 now). It just goes and is the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever had, but I'm usually in my company vehicle anyway. She just has a mom van with a jillion miles on it, so once we get past a few things, we'll be looking for a nice little Outback for her to tool around him. Maybe by then we'll have snow again to justify the awd. Its just a little car she and I both like.

My days of hooker and blow ended with that big ol' shiney I put on her finger. lol.

:thumb: I'm married too, she said it was cool since we don't have kids.

ndws 01-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9359025)
:thumb: I'm married too, she said it was cool since we don't have kids.

You should write a how-to book.

I'll buy a copy.

Mike in SW-MO 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

Both.

Pay is down ~25%. Only debt is mortgage which is still less than 20% of household income. We adjust budget as needed. Mostly adjusting discretionary spending now. Stacations instead of vacations and eating out less. Looking at cutting back on kids college funds or rate of payment on mortgage if needed.

So pay took a hit but still doing fine.

T-Town 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

Just graduated from college in December, but can't find a job. Every opening wants a ton of work experience that I obviously can't provide. Hopefully things pick up when the weather turns.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-28-2013 04:25 PM

Doing just fine.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Town (Post 9359030)
Just graduated from college in December, but can't find a job. Every opening wants a ton of work experience that I obviously can't provide. Hopefully things pick up when the weather turns.

Good luck. Don't get too flustrated with it. You have a degree and am sure that will help you out, that shows for something.

AndChiefs 01-28-2013 04:29 PM

A bit worse. No merit increases in two years. No bonus this year (even though me and my department reached our goals).

All-time high profits for the company though. Nice job!