ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football AFCC Pick, Ravens or Patriots? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255155)

Amnorix 01-17-2012 07:35 AM

AFCC Pick, Ravens or Patriots?

So who is going to win? My head says that the Ravens are the better balanced team and that last week proved that you still need SOME defense to win in the playoffs in the NFL, no matter how good you looked in the regular season.

My heart says the Patriots should be fired up to avenge their loss of two years ago, and Brady is a madman on a mission, and Joe Flacco is pretty flaccid.

As for strategy, I think the Pats will try to do to Rice what they did to Marshall Faulk in 2001 -- relentlessly kill him coming out of the backfield, etc. Easier said than done of course.

Poll to follow.

Amnorix 01-17-2012 07:37 AM

Ah crud, meant to make the poll public. Can I change, or can a mod change?

Deberg_1990 01-17-2012 07:43 AM

Patriots. Pats need to just keep on letting Brady sling it and Flacco and the Ravens wont be able to keep up. Ravens offense was pretty bad overall againt the Texans. They got some good field posistion they allowed them to score and it was really only 1 quarter that their offense was good.

kc rush 01-17-2012 07:46 AM

I think both championship games will be close. On a neutral field I'd give the nod to the Ravens, but I think the Pats will eek it out here.

For the NFC, I think the Giants will win because they have the better QB. The SF defense and the home crowd will make it difficult though.

LiveSteam 01-17-2012 07:46 AM

KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

jd1020 01-17-2012 07:51 AM

Not much difference between the Ravens and Broncos, imo.

Pats.

BoneKrusher 01-17-2012 07:53 AM

went with the Pats as well.

blaise 01-17-2012 07:59 AM

I wasn't that impressed with the Ravens against Houston.

Gonzo 01-17-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8304711)
Ah crud, meant to make the poll public. Can I change, or can a mod change?

Of course, I can't change it from my phone.

I'll try to get to it when I get to my laptop later this a.m.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo 01-17-2012 08:26 AM

I hate both of these teams but I truly feel like NE is on a fricken mission this year. They are clearly clicking on all cylinders. Their D looked good the last two games, (easy to do against Den) so if they can contain Baltimores run game, they'll kick their asses.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367 01-17-2012 09:04 AM

The Ravens came to Foxboro in 2009 and kicked New England's ass. But that was only because Rice took the first play all the way to the house, and then the Patriots turned the ball over twice, leading to a 21-0 Baltimore lead. And that Patriots team wasn't that good; they won the AFCE with a 10-6 record, and Baltimore was a 9-7 wildcard. They played that Ravens game without Wes Welker. Their leading rusher was Kevin Faulk. Their leading receiver (6 catches) was a tie between Kevin Faulk and Julian Edelman; Randy Moss--who was already in the process of becoming invisible--only had 5 catches.

This year is a little different. The Patriots now have Welker for this game (you know, the little white guy who was at the top of the league in receiving). They have two reerunedly-stud tight ends (including one who's a record-breaker). They have Deion Branch back (who, even at his age, still serves his purpose with the occasional long pass to the sideline). They have Chad Ochocinco, who has been useless but would not surprise anyone if he suddenly breaks out with a big game. They have an underappreciated running game (Benjarvus Green-Ellis, two very solid rookies in Ridley and Vereen, the underused Danny Woodhead and Kevin Faulk). I don't see how anything stops that offense unless the O-line totally turns putrid.

The Pats are even, at this late stage, adding new wrinkles. A few people commented in recent weeks how predictable the Pats offense is: standard formation with backs, it's a run; spread offense, it's a pass. So what do the Patriots do? They take Aaron Hernandez (already a freakish TE as he has WR speed and can line up on the outside) and start handing him the ball from a passing formation. I mean, really, is that even fair? If they really kept the pedal to the metal they could've made the Broncos loss even worse.

Offensively, the Ravens are just not set up to win a shootout. Flacco isn't that good, and their passing game just doesn't have the "muscle memory" that New England's does. People say, "But the Ravens have a great D, and will run the ball to keep the ball out of Brady's hands!" Yeah, well, the Broncos were supposed to do that, too; it's easier said than done. If the Pats don't turn the ball over, eventually they're going to put more points up than Baltimore; if Baltimore turns the ball over and New England doesn't, and the Patriots start to pull away and Baltimore has to abandon the ground game, it could get ugly.

Can Baltimore win? Of course. Get pressure on Brady and make him a little off-target, run the ball hard, and take some deep shots at the Patriots' defensive backs. But a lot more things have to go right for Baltimore to win than they do for New England to win (just like this past week with Denver). If the Pats take care of the ball, execute the offense the way they can, and at least play a half-decent D, they win this game without too much stress.

Hammock Parties 01-17-2012 09:06 AM

I'm not picking Flacco over Brady, especially with Baltimore's rather anemic pass rush.

Chief Roundup 01-17-2012 09:13 AM

I think the Pats will pull it off. It definitely helps thier Defense getting Chung and Spikes back.

Extra Point 01-17-2012 09:32 AM

Ravens. The team I hate most, out of our division.

Chief Roundup 01-17-2012 04:33 PM

Didn't know that the Patriots haven't beaten a team with a winning record by the end of the season.