ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 'Under the Dome" coming to CBS summer '13 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267201)

keg in kc 02-04-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9376752)
This is going to be awful. They should have done 11-22-63 as a miniseries instead.

I'll be watching it for the trainwreck appeal. The book is actually pretty good until the last 100 pages or so, with just an amazingly bad ending, but they've already started CBS-ing it up. It's reminiscent of what ABC was doing to King's stuff a few years back. I don't know why networks think they can keep doing PG versions of his stuff. It always ends up being soap opera quality horror hilarity.

Nzoner 02-04-2013 11:49 AM

My favorite King read is still Salem's Lot but damn they did a horrible job on the mini-series and not once but twice.

Deberg_1990 04-12-2013 09:36 PM

CBS promos are out

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61948

ChiefsFanatic 04-13-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9164909)
The best ending of a King novel since the early days was in 11/22/63

This book would make a great 4 or 5 season series. Or the premise could be used for so many possibilities.

DJ's left nut 04-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9163437)
Great book, decent ending but it seemed a little abrupt. You know? It just wasn't wrapped up like it should've been.

I gave up on reading Steven King epic novels after The Stand because abrupt, mediocre endings kindof appear to be his thing.

I just got tired of dedicating hours to a book and then he'd spent 20 pages wrapping it up when earlier in the book he'd spend 30 pages sending a character to get a glass of milk. Maybe that's why I wasn't as annoyed the the Dark Tower series; he never really bothered trying to end them.

The only times I've ever felt like he did a decent job ending stories is in his short story compilations. Otherwise I feel like he just gets tired of writing, kills some folks and calls it a day.

Bowser 04-13-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9583194)
I gave up on reading Steven King epic novels after The Stand because abrupt, mediocre endings kindof appear to be his thing.

I just got tired of dedicating hours to a book and then he'd spent 20 pages wrapping it up when earlier in the book he'd spend 30 pages sending a character to get a glass of milk. Maybe that's why I wasn't as annoyed the the Dark Tower series; he never really bothered trying to end them.

The only times I've ever felt like he did a decent job ending stories is in his short story compilations. Otherwise I feel like he just gets tired of writing, kills some folks and calls it a day.

You should give his book 11-22-63 a try. Clearly one of his best efforts in some time.

keg in kc 06-23-2013 02:27 AM

Just a friendly reminder, the premiere's monday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_Y5YeYrqUk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 06-24-2013 01:28 AM

Hrm. Maybe it doesn't suck:
Quote:

An (at least) 13-part CBS adaptation of Stephen King’s 2009 novel about a small Maine municipality suddenly and mysteriously enclosed by a transparent but inescapable force field, “Under The Dome” comes to us from director Niels Arden Oplev (who helmed the original “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”) and writer Brian K. Vaughan (“Lost”).

The flashy first episode is better than any of the network pilots intended for the regular 2013-2014 – or at least the ones I’ve seen so far.

It boasts a brisk pace, interesting characters and situations, suspense, visually arresting mayhem and more than a few compelling mysteries.

The summer series also seems much more likely to make me a regular viewer than any scripted CBS show airing in the regular season.

Most who watch the first episode should find a lot of reasons to tune into episode two. I know I did.

Hitfix says:

... quite promising. … the opening episode is creepy, and it explores the premise and the talent on-hand in interesting ways.

The New York Times says:

... gets off to an addictive start on Monday, so much so that it’s hard to imagine any second-episode falloff in viewership. Bite on Part 1 and you’re going to be there for Part 2, or at least the start of it. …

The Los Angeles Times says:

... it's the next Big Summer Event, so you don't want to miss it. …

The Chicago Sun-Times says:

... the most promising show launching on broadcast television this summer. …

The San Francisco Chronicle says:

... There is promise in the one episode of Dome sent to critics and the series could work well …

The Washington Post says:

... silly but somewhat intriguing … does have an air of King’s more sinister tendencies, but not enough of them in the first hour to suggest the sort of horror that’s worth sticking around for. …

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says:

... offers an effective set-up … It remains to be seen whether either will merit watching for a full season but the pilot does exactly what it should: It intrigues and makes the case for viewers to come back next week for more.

The Boston Globe says:

... While the initial arrival of the dome is intriguing, the characters are not. …

USA Today says:

... gets off to a roaring good start … Bad ending and all, I'd watch It again tomorrow. And Dome again next week.

Entertainment Weekly says:

... worth lifting the lid. The premise captures the imagination, and the characters are well cast …

The Hollywood Reporter says:

It’s only one episode out of 13 and a whole lot of things can go sideways, but CBS’s summer series from Stephen King, Under the Dome, set the hook pretty deep. Count me in. … And it sure helps that the first hour is intriguing as hell and filled with a lot of storytelling promise. If viewers catch the pilot, they’ll be back for the next episode. …

Variety says:

... King’s latest “Twilight Zone”-like premise clearly has the potential to get under one’s skin. …
link

blaise 06-24-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9583194)

That's how I feel. After The Talisman, It and The Stand I said never again. Get drawn in, reads hundreds of pages for some lame ending.

A friend of mine tells me to read Under the Dome but I just can't.

keg in kc 06-24-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9772001)
That's how I feel. After The Talisman, It and The Stand I said never again. Get drawn in, reads hundreds of pages for some lame ending.

A friend of mine tells me to read Under the Dome but I just can't.

Under the Dome may have the worst ending of all of them.

Fortunately that's one of the things the TV series is changing.

frankotank 06-24-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9772076)
Under the Dome may have the worst ending of all of them.

Fortunately that's one of the things the TV series is changing.

I have been an SK fan my entire life. matter of fact, just ran out of bathroom reading material so I grabbed skeleton crew and started reading the mist again for probably the 15th time. (what they did to the movie ending of the mist was nothing short of horrific - book ending was better) anyways, I've suffered through some not so good SK books, but none have made me as angry, none have bored the shit out of me like this steamy turd. the ONLY reason I finished it is because it's SK.
PISSED...ME...OFF! crappy, stupid, far fetched, unrealistic reeruned story.

I know I know....it's SK....it's supernatural....so how could you expect realism? I say no way in hell people behave and do the things they did in the book. it was just simply DUMB. and the ending.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME! so thank GOD they are supposed to change it for the TV version.

but....even if they improve the ending....if they follow the book very closely, and often times the book gets the shaft like with the Jack Nicholson version of the shining, but if they follow the book closely, this is gonna suck imo.

but it's SK....so my stupid ass is gonna sit there and watch it.

PS - coolest SK quote I've ever come across. in his book 11/22/63 (a pretty good read) he describes our world as follows...

A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark.

DaKCMan AP 06-24-2013 08:46 AM

I don't read SK novels - tried but don't like them - at all.

However, I may give this a watch tonight.

blaise 06-24-2013 10:07 AM

My favorite ones of his are Dead Zone, Salem's Lot and Skeleton Crew. Carrie, Misery and the Shining are also good. I also really liked the Running Man story - I wish they'd remake that closer to the story than that goofy movie they made. It could be a really dark cool movie.
It's probably been 18 years since I read anything of his though.

frankotank 06-24-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9772254)
My favorite ones of his are Dead Zone, Salem's Lot and Skeleton Crew. Carrie, Misery and the Shining are also good. I also really liked the Running Man story - I wish they'd remake that closer to the story than that goofy movie they made. It could be a really dark cool movie.
It's probably been 18 years since I read anything of his though.

I really liked the Shining...the BOOK. the Nicholson version of the movie...it's good, don't get me wrong, and I do like it....but they left out the hedge animals and the twins were not a big part of the book and the ending wasn't the same....and we're over to the Steven Weber version of the Shining...the made for TV mini-series and it is OUTSTANDING! great great stuff. they showed that on prime time TV and when the green rotted lady got out of the bathtub I was thinking....holy SHIT! kids could be watching this!
good stuff.

frankotank 06-24-2013 10:15 AM

oh.....Cujo is a great read and a TURD of a movie. they took out almost every supernatural aspect of the story when they made the movie. the book is sooooo much better.

my next bullmastiff is gonna be named Cujo. done deal.