ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 119 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283022)

Rain Man 04-15-2014 05:15 PM

SceneItAll Tournament: Round 1, Heat 119

The rules:

In Round 1, I'm going to put up three randomly selected scenes from the nomination thread.

You'll vote for your ONE favorite scene among the three. The key here is FAVORITE. We're not talking about the 'best' or 'most powerful' or 'most meaningful'. We're talking about the scene that you most enjoy watching, however you define that.

The winners will move on. I'll also take the 10 highest-scoring second-place scenes and they'll advance as wild cards.

Some of our nominations did not include clips. This will be noted. If you find a clip, please post it and let me know so I can update it if it moves on.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_2LjwM3B688" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mWUhcKUYbT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-_6560AW1zQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man 04-15-2014 05:20 PM

My votes in a tough two-way heat:

#1 - The Breakfast Club. I can't help it. I'm a sucker for high school movies. This scene starts slow, but I like the letter, the music, and the raised fist of triumph at the end. I, and you, and all of us, are part of The Breakfast Club.

#2 - The Usual Suspects. This is a good scene, and a clever one, but I just don't identify well with criminal/cop movies. I can't identify with the characters.

#3 - Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. Meh. It's not in Jim Carrey's top 50 scenes.

ThaVirus 04-15-2014 05:26 PM

The Usual Suspects scene is a great reveal but Ace Ventura steals this round for me.

cosmo20002 04-15-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10564469)

#1 - The Breakfast Club. I can't help it. I'm a sucker for high school movies. This scene starts slow, but I like the letter, the music, and the raised fist of triumph at the end. I, and you, and all of us, are part of The Breakfast Club.

Here's what ruins that scene--
Are you telling me that none of those kids has a car? They are all getting picked up by their parents?

And the fist pump at the very end for no reason is kind of cornball.

Rain Man 04-15-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10564501)
Here's what ruins that scene--
Are you telling me that none of those kids has a car? They are all getting picked up by their parents?

And the fist pump at the very end for no reason is kind of cornball.

I didn't quite understand the fist pump myself, but presume that he's happy about landing a redhead, even if it's Molly Ringwald.

It made me a little sad that everyone hooked up at the end except the nerd. I saw a lot of myself in that guy, and he deserved to get a girl as well.

digger 04-15-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10564469)

YES YES YES!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

cosmo20002 04-15-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10564511)
I didn't quite understand the fist pump myself, but presume that he's happy about landing a redhead, even if it's Molly Ringwald.

It made me a little sad that everyone hooked up at the end except the nerd. I saw a lot of myself in that guy, and he deserved to get a girl as well.

You know, I didn't consider that. Kind of really delayed reaction though--he walked all the way across the football field.

And there's still the problem of none of them driving.

Easy 6 04-15-2014 06:34 PM

Breakfast Club is a staple of my youth, its going to win most heats for me.

Kiss kiiiiss Mollys lips...

Rain Man 04-15-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10564707)
You know, I didn't consider that. Kind of really delayed reaction though--he walked all the way across the football field.

And there's still the problem of none of them driving.

I think he had to be cool with it until he got by himself. You don't do a victory fist-pump in front of the actual redhead (though he apparently kissed her in front of her parents who were waiting in the car).

On the driving issue, let's ponder the group.

I could see the nerd not having a car because his parents are overprotective. At least, I presume they are.

I could see the criminal not having a car because he's poor.

I could see the basket case not having a car because her parents worry that she's not stable enough and will get into bad situations.

That leaves the athlete and the princess. You would assume that both of them would have cars, especially the princess. Is it possible that they lost their car privileges because they were in trouble and detention?

Rain Man 04-17-2014 05:12 PM

In a shocking turn of events, The Usual Suspects moves on without a limp.

I kind of expected it to win, but preferred The Breakfast Club by a notable margin.

Baby Lee 04-17-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10564709)
Breakfast Club is a staple of my youth, its going to win most heats for me.

Kiss kiiiiss Mollys lips...

According to Adam Carolla, who took Molly's sister to prom, Molly's dad was a character. Completely blind, he was very autonomous. Ran a snack stand by himself at the courthouse and played various instruments in jazz sessions around LA. Memorized the steps it took to get him everywhere. Walked down to the bus stop, rode it his destination, walked into the snack shop or whatever bar he was playing in that night.