ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Somebody's gotta have the inside scoop on Google Fiber launching tomorrow..?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261759)

Shekelsteinberg 08-13-2016 08:41 AM

Google is an evil company, use bing or duckduckgo instead.

Fish 08-13-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shekelsteinberg (Post 12365804)

Kindly shut the **** up.

GloryDayz 08-13-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Minimally you'll want to use something "in addition to" Google. Anybody who denies Google isn't doing some things to favor their leadership's horse is just dumb.

Mr. Laz 08-13-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Bing?

Bing is micro$oft, there isn't anything they won't do to make a buck.

GloryDayz 08-13-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12366099)
Bing?

Bing is micro$oft, there isn't anything they won't do to make a buck.

A rare trait among tech companies.. I mean, look at them compared to Apple! At Apple's prices, they're pretty-much giving there stuff away, and they donate pretty-much all their profits to saving the rain forest and icebergs...

Deberg_1990 08-16-2016 07:01 PM

So Google is now backpedling and stalling on its homegrown fiber network. Apparantly its extremely costly to dig and trench. Who knew? If they go wireless, no way they can come close to delivering on a pure 1G network right?

Laying fiber is, it turns out, pretty expensive. That’s one reason why expansion of Google Fiber’s ambitious project to bring ultrafast internet to U.S. cities around has been placed on hold. The company has spent spent hundreds of millions of dollars laying fiber-optic cablesto bring Internet service as much as 100 times faster than average high-speed wireless to customers in six cities so far.

Another reason appears to be a growing sense that gigabit Internet can be delivered much more cheaply if the wires are ditched. Not only is it pricey to dig up streets to lay the fiber, the thinking goes, but Google Fiber often found itself negotiating with big ISPs—whose business is essentially being undermined by the project—over access to telephone poles. Super-fast Wi-Fi transmitters, on the other hand, can be mounted on the tops of tall buildings to beam Internet access directly to users.

Google isn’t alone in thinking that the future of gigabit Internet lies in cutting the cord. As we reported, Facebook is testing a similar system, as are Verizon and AT&T. A startup called Starry is also hard at work and could be the first to get super-fast wireless into people’s homes.

Google Fiber’s big move toward wireless came when it announced in June that it is buying Webpass, a company that uses wireless technology to provide homes with gigabit Internet access. The purchasing process is still ongoing, but it stands to reason that the next two cities due to get the Google Fiber treatment—San Jose, California, and Portland, Oregon—may instead get a dose of blazing-fast Internet delivered over the airwaves.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...fast-wireless/
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz 08-16-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 12371631)
So Google is now backpedling and stalling on its homegrown fiber network. Apparantly its extremely costly to dig and trench. Who knew? If they go wireless, no way they can come close to delivering on a pure 1G network right?

Laying fiber is, it turns out, pretty expensive. That’s one reason why expansion of Google Fiber’s ambitious project to bring ultrafast internet to U.S. cities around has been placed on hold. The company has spent spent hundreds of millions of dollars laying fiber-optic cablesto bring Internet service as much as 100 times faster than average high-speed wireless to customers in six cities so far.

Another reason appears to be a growing sense that gigabit Internet can be delivered much more cheaply if the wires are ditched. Not only is it pricey to dig up streets to lay the fiber, the thinking goes, but Google Fiber often found itself negotiating with big ISPs—whose business is essentially being undermined by the project—over access to telephone poles. Super-fast Wi-Fi transmitters, on the other hand, can be mounted on the tops of tall buildings to beam Internet access directly to users.

Google isn’t alone in thinking that the future of gigabit Internet lies in cutting the cord. As we reported, Facebook is testing a similar system, as are Verizon and AT&T. A startup called Starry is also hard at work and could be the first to get super-fast wireless into people’s homes.

Google Fiber’s big move toward wireless came when it announced in June that it is buying Webpass, a company that uses wireless technology to provide homes with gigabit Internet access. The purchasing process is still ongoing, but it stands to reason that the next two cities due to get the Google Fiber treatment—San Jose, California, and Portland, Oregon—may instead get a dose of blazing-fast Internet delivered over the airwaves.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...fast-wireless/
Posted via Mobile Device

Not to mention the bluetooth remote sucks, they don't have PIP, and few want a wired device in 2016.

Mr. Laz 09-27-2016 10:11 AM

Google now digging on my street PBJ

GloryDayz 10-27-2016 04:38 PM

OK, Google Fiber just pissed me off!!!

* Out of the blue, the Internet dies;
* I check, no light on the fiber jack;
* Because of construction (new gutters) I suspected that;
* Called Google and did much troubleguessing, but was told not to reboot the network box - I thought that was odd because it's obviously PoE, so, since the Network Box was up, why no lights on the Fiber Jack (?);
* Since he didn't have any other complaints we decided to open a ticket;
* He chats with that group and the next appointment WAS THIS SUNDAY!!!

I was like WHAT THE **** MAN!

The good news is this, after we hung up (since had until ****ING SUNDAY!!!) I decided to reboot the network box. BOOM, it works again.

So, for those of you with wall mounted Google fiber interface boxes (unless you know this already), if you lose all the lights, screw Google Fiber tech support and just reboot your network box. Turns out my neighbors have been doing that trick every few months since it was installed. LOL, WTF!

As for Google's business model and thinking three days is OK for people to wait for a service call, well there's some room for improvement...

DaveNull 10-27-2016 04:56 PM

Clearly you forgot what it was like to be a TWC subscriber. Wait seven days, have the appointment scheduled in the middle of the work day. Guy who looks like he's on work release messes with the coax and says that the last guy who was out to service your shit six months ago clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing and then leaves you with the same 75% of the bandwidth you were paying for before it went out for no apparent reason.

Aspengc8 10-27-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12509316)

* Called Google and did much troubleguessing, but was told not to reboot the network box - I thought that was odd because it's obviously PoE, so, since the Network Box was up, why no lights on the Fiber Jack (?);

The good news is this, after we hung up (since had until ****ING SUNDAY!!!) I decided to reboot the network box. BOOM, it works again.

So, for those of you with wall mounted Google fiber interface boxes (unless you know this already), if you lose all the lights, screw Google Fiber tech support and just reboot your network box. Turns out my neighbors have been doing that trick every few months since it was installed. LOL, WTF!

As for Google's business model and thinking three days is OK for people to wait for a service call, well there's some room for improvement...

Three business days is not too bad given they are not staffed like a triple play provider. probably will improve once they have more field operations staff.

KCUnited 10-27-2016 05:07 PM

Aren't they facing layoffs? Thought I read that earlier in the week.

Valiant 10-28-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12509316)

My rep and installer said reboot once a month.

Valiant 10-28-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12509336)
Three business days is not too bad given they are not staffed like a triple play provider. probably will improve once they have more field operations staff.

It is not. I had weeks with twc.

Google has had the best customer service i have had with a company.

As for the layoffs I read they are slowing expansion.

GloryDayz 10-28-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 12509336)

What? They have more that 54,000 employees! Move some assholes from the "write conservative-hating algorithm" group to the "fix fiber issues" group. I have no sympathy for a company like Google when it comes to staffing. And they should have a few service techs left in reserve, or with lighter schedules, to respond to fix actions.

I'm sure they'll claim they do have that for business class, but that's prolly a lie, so that could be a consideration for businesses thinking of going with GF for business connectivity instead of somebody else.