ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Matt Barkley doesn't resemble elite quarterback prospect in 2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266955)

BossChief 11-22-2012 06:50 PM

ROFL @ your takes, Zilla.

You post as if you have never seen Geno Smith extend plays with his mobility or his pocket awareness.

It's beyond silly.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9142523)
not like he scored 70 in the bowl game ...or lit up the #8 passing d in the country last week and almost beat Oklahoma with no defense.

For a #1 qb, you are basing off a very low sample size against defenses that aren't exactly elite. It is an assumption that because he carved up Oklahoma, that means he can carve up the texans.

BossChief 11-22-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9142533)
He didn't have a break-out year for anybody who knows anything about college football. He threw for over 4000 yards last year, with 31 TD against 7 int. And he wasn't anything to sneeze at in 2010 either.

Exactly. The kid has shown consistency and ability to maintain top level play over the course of 3 years starting.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9142536)
ROFL @ your takes, Zilla.

You post as if you have never seen Geno Smith extend plays with his mobility or his pocket awareness.

It's beyond silly.

Jfc.

I have said geno can do those things. He can't rely on that as his primary crutch. Big Ben can. RgIII can. Geno HAS to succeed by being exceptional at reading defenses quickly. Period.

DeezNutz 11-22-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142530)
I've said multiple times over the last year....
Big Ben never had to learn to read defenses. He is a pass first qb who can hold on to the ball too long. RgIII doesn't have to be elite at reading defenses either. He can use his speed to roll out of the pocket and him being an elite qb throwing on the run, he can extend plays in ways most qbs can't.

If geno can't read defenses on a top tier level, he is a flat out bust. Period.

Extending a play either because of sheer size and strength or speed has nothing to do with reading a defense.

And BR and RGIII can read defenses.

BossChief 11-22-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142539)
For a #1 qb, you are basing off a very low sample size against defenses that aren't exactly elite. It is an assumption that because he carved up Oklahoma, that means he can carve up the texans.

How about last year against LSU? Texas this year?

If you are gonna say he has played mostly cupcake defense, thats ok...the kid plays in a conference that isnt known for defense....but you also cant discount the games he has played very well against good defenses by touting "small sample size" either.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9142548)
Extending a play either because of sheer size and strength or speed has nothing to do with reading a defense.

And BR and RGIII can read defenses.

Big Ben is notorious for holding the ball way too long. He would be an average qb if he wasn't so good at extending plays. RgIII can too - I am saying that with his elusiveness and ability to read on the run and throw on the run, he didn't have to be elite at quick reads. He is going to be unstoppable if he becomes elusive and terrific at quick reads, and I think he's on his way to doing that.

milkman 11-22-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142530)
I've said multiple times over the last year....
Big Ben never had to learn to read defenses. He is a pass first qb who can hold on to the ball too long. RgIII doesn't have to be elite at reading defenses either. He can use his speed to roll out of the pocket and him being an elite qb throwing on the run, he can extend plays in ways most qbs can't.

If geno can't read defenses on a top tier level, he is a flat out bust. Period.

You can't seem to understand one simple concept.

I don't ****ing care if RGIII isn't a bust because of his elte running skills.

He isn't ever going to lead a team to the SB because of his elite running skills.

He, like every other QB that has won a SB, will have to lead his team to the SB from the pocket.

I don't give a rat's ass if he wins a few extra games because he can run.

I don't want a Michael Vick.

I want a Steve Young.

RunKC 11-22-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142515)
He hasn't played good defenses. He hasnt proven to be nails in the clutch consistently. His biggest successes have come out of a college oriented offense.

I didn't say he can't do these things. I am saying you are assuming he can even though we haven't seen it.

I'm the one arguing on merit. You're the one who is absolutely sure about something we haven't seen.

What? He put his team in position to win multiple times vs OU and TCU, both good teams.

OU was the 12th rated defense and have 2 first round caliber DB's and Geno torched them. TCU has a nice DB prospect in Jason Verett (5 INT's this year) and Geno torched him too at the end of the game for a TD.

TCU, TTU, KSU and OU were all good defenses that Geno has played this year. And he made good throws on an insanely talented LSU defense last year.

BossChief 11-22-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142547)
Jfc.

I have said geno can do those things. He can't rely on that as his primary crutch. Big Ben can. RgIII can. Geno HAS to succeed by being exceptional at reading defenses quickly. Period.

That is something that can be said about ANY QUARTERBACK that will lead his team to a championship.

Tell me the last time a team won a championship with a QB that couldnt be effective staying in the pocket or reading defenses.

Ill wait right here.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9142555)
How about last year against LSU? Texas this year?

If you are gonna say he has played mostly cupcake defense, thats ok...the kid plays in a conference that isnt known for defense....but you also cant discount the games he has played very well against good defenses by touting "small sample size" either.

I am not discounting them. I am saying there isn't enough evidence to say he is surely going to succeed against elite nfl defenses. We are assuming. I ASSUME he can because I think he has football iq and work ethic. But I know it is an assumption and that he hasn't proven it on the college level nearly enough. Hence, the risk.

chiefzilla1501 11-22-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9142564)
That is something that can be said about ANY QUARTERBACK that will lead his team to a championship.

Tell me the last time a team won a championship with a QB that couldnt be effective staying in the pocket or reading defenses.

Ill wait right here.

I've said QUICK reads.

Big Ben. Aaron Rodgers.

Elite qbs. Both have a tendency to hold the ball way too long.

That was easy.

DeezNutz 11-22-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142566)
I am not discounting them. I am saying there isn't enough evidence to say he is surely going to succeed against elite nfl defenses. We are assuming. I ASSUME he can because I think he has football iq and work ethic. But I know it is an assumption and that he hasn't proven it on the college level nearly enough. Hence, the risk.

All of this is true for every single player at every single position who enters the NFL draft.

milkman 11-22-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142566)

You are so full of shit.

Geno Smith is putting up comparable numbers against the same competition, with a far inferior cast around him that RGIII had.

BossChief 11-22-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9142568)
I've said QUICK reads.

Big Ben. Aaron Rodgers.

Elite qbs. Both have a tendency to hold the ball way too long.

That was easy.

You sir, are a ****ing reerun.

Geno Smith makes some of the quickest reads IVE EVER SEEN.