ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fellow Cord-cutters...What is your setup? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=304871)

arrowheadnation 01-02-2017 06:47 AM

Fellow Cord-cutters...What is your setup?

I said I would never do it. I couldn't cut the cord. Live sports meant too much to me. I did the song and dance with my cable company for almost 3 years. They would raise my rates, I would call in and threaten to disconnect and they would lower them again. Then a few months ago, my bill went up $99 (to $237/mo. incl. internet) and they refused to lower it back to the original rate, so I parted ways with them. Today marked my second full month as a "cord cutter." Here is my current setup:

Playstation Vue Core Slim subscription - It was either this, DirecTV Now, or Sling, and for what I watch, it was a no-brainer. It has basically all of the channels I was watching when I had cable. I had some issues at first with buffering but after making some changes to the DNS addresses, it has worked pretty much flawlessly . It has cloud based DVR which is what set it apart from the competition for me (sling didn't offer dvr at the time but is in beta testing now). The HD pic is also very crisp as well. This is $35 per month for 60+ channels including all espn's and fox sports networks. Combined with my 50mbps internet, I'm paying roughly $115 per month (Was paying $237 with cable).

Android TV Box loaded with Kodi - I paid $125 for this box on eBay. It is an octo-core android box with a proprietary Kodi build on it. (Yes, I know I could have done it myself much cheaper but I always seem to have issues with these kinds of things when I get brave and do them on my own.) I use it for movies, PPV fights, and to watch the TV shows that I used to watch that are not included in the Vue programming (mainly HBO, SHOWTIME, network tv, History channel, and the Viacom networks - nickelodion, Comedy Central, etc.). If you don't already know about Kodi, just try a google search, it was sent from heaven for tight asses like myself.

Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified HD antenna - for local channels until ps vue adds them in my area (currently only in major markets like ny, la, Miami, etc.). It actually picks up about 35 channels, most in HD. I live about 30 miles away from the farthest TV tower. I was worried the pic would not be good, but it's just as good or better than the HD I had with cable. It cost me $55 on eBay.

Channel Master Over the Air DVR - this is what I really had taken for granted with cable. The DVR is one of the greatest inventions ever. I never watch my shows live anymore and figured I could go back to doing so, but I started to realize a couple days in that I either wouldnt remember to watch my favorites from network tv, the shows were live or local, or my schedule wouldnt allow for it. After some research, I came across the Channel Master DVR. It's an over the air HD DVR with up to 1TB of hard drive space and NO MONTHLY FEE!!! It's very similar to the one built into your cable box as it comes with an on-screen guide and dual tuner (yes, I. Wish there were more). It is quite pricy at around $200 on eBay but it's a one time charge where Tivo has a monthly fee (do some research on youtube to see if it's for you).

Like I stated earlier, I'm two months in. I'm still watching all of the same programming at $115/mo. that I was watching at $237/mo. so I'd say it's going well. The DVR on the PS Vue is awesome. The channel master DVR is very cool but not 100% necessary as I can still find almost all of the shows I miss on the kodi box. I mainly use the channel master for the pause ffwd and rewind features. The only real negative that I can take away so far is the inconvenience of having to change from one device to another. I didn't realize how much I took for granted being able to take a split second to change the channel rather than having to change the input from the PS4 to the antenna or he kodi box (and then having to find a good stream), but for the money I'm saving, it's worth the few minutes of annoyance. The buffering issue with the Playstation Vue was quite frustrating in the beginning, but a quick google search helped me find a quick solution. I found that you have to make some changes to the DNS servers and boom...problem solved.

If you have questions about my set-up,let me know. I'm curious to see the set-ups of other cord cutters on here mainly to find out if there are better options than what I currently have. Surely I'm not the only one.

DaFace 01-02-2017 09:21 PM

• Three Roku devices (Roku 3 for my main TV, Stick for my bedroom, and Roku 2 for a seldom-used basement TV) and an old laptop to serve as a media server and occasional direct-view screen for stuff that doesn't have a Roku app.
  • Subscriptions for Netflix, Sling ($20 version) and Hulu (commercial-free version). I guess I also have Amazon Prime, but I don't really even think of that as a video subscription and use it pretty rarely.
  • Lots of movies I've purchased on Vudu (or bought Ultraviolet codes through third-party sites)
  • Tablo DVR to record OTA shows.
  • Plex to watch a handful of torrented shows that I can't get legally through any sort of streaming service.
  • VPN + NFL Gamepass to watch Chiefs games when they're not on locally.

I don't have the patience to deal wish finding a non-shitty stream on Kodi (and I TRY to stay as legal as I possibly can, though the networks still make it impossible from time to time).

DJJasonp 01-02-2017 09:56 PM

Ive got PS Vue as well. Works pretty well, but I've had a few buffering issues with ESPN during college bb games or fb games. Not sure why, maybe just a coincidence.

I like the "DVR in the cloud" feature, for sure....super easy, and no fear of running out of space. I have the max plan (without pay movie add-ons) and pay 45 a month for it.

I have a pretty good internet speed, so picture quality is typically pretty good.

Use Netflix and Hulu for all the other stuff. Also have Amazon (as I have a fire tv box, and wanted free prime shipping all year).

During MLB season, I subscribe to MLBtv - and it's well worth it for someone who doesn't live in the royals broadcasting area.

Even with all that, I'm paying about 60 bucks less a month than I was with Directv.

hometeam 01-03-2017 12:00 AM

PC, chromecast, 123movies.is, reddit, and a friends dish network password~

Discuss Thrower 01-03-2017 12:48 AM

Time Warner for internet, Sling TV Blue ( I think) paying for Netflix, Prime and Hulu (even though I can't access it).

Sling TV is... suboptimal.

Fish 01-03-2017 09:01 AM

OTA rabbit ears for local broadcasting.
Google Fiber internet.
Mac Mini running KODI. Mele F10 Deluxe remote to control it and the TV.
Furk subscription for media.
Netflix.

Have considered canceling Netflix, because it's unnecessary with KODI and Furk. But just never got around to it. 99% of what I watch all comes from KODI/Furk.

MagicHef 01-03-2017 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12657296)
  • Three Roku devices (Roku 3 for my main TV, Stick for my bedroom, and Roku 2 for a seldom-used basement TV) and an old laptop to serve as a media server and occasional direct-view screen for stuff that doesn't have a Roku app.
  • Subscriptions for Netflix, Sling ($20 version) and Hulu (commercial-free version). I guess I also have Amazon Prime, but I don't really even think of that as a video subscription and use it pretty rarely.
  • Lots of movies I've purchased on Vudu (or bought Ultraviolet codes through third-party sites)
  • Tablo DVR to record OTA shows.
  • Plex to watch a handful of torrented shows that I can't get legally through any sort of streaming service.
  • VPN + NFL Gamepass to watch Chiefs games when they're not on locally.

I don't have the patience to deal wish finding a non-shitty stream on Kodi (and I TRY to stay as legal as I possibly can, though the networks still make it impossible from time to time).

How is your VPN + NFL Gamepass working? I had it for one season but it ended up being a hassle and I dropped it. I'm wondering if my VPN wasn't very good. How much do you spend on the two together?

The Franchise 01-03-2017 10:20 AM

Anyone have any recommendations for an HD antenna?

unlurking 01-03-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 12657883)
How is your VPN + NFL Gamepass working? I had it for one season but it ended up being a hassle and I dropped it. I'm wondering if my VPN wasn't very good. How much do you spend on the two together?

The key to VPN and Gamepass is to disconnect from VPN after you get a game started. It only checks location when initiating stream. Basically, VPN performance should be a non-factor.

Fish 01-03-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12657891)
Anyone have any recommendations for an HD antenna?

I started with a $10 pair of rabbit ears. I got all the local KC stations except a few that would give a really weak unreliable signal. Thinking I needed a better antenna, I bought a $40 powered one. It was actually worse all around, and after a few weeks I went back to the rabbit ears. I've now figured out the perfect position of the rabbit ears and get all available KC OTA stations. And I'll cut a bitch that touches my antenna placement.

Opoponax 01-03-2017 10:34 AM

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and I'm currently trying out the Starz app because they have some good series. I have a Samsung Smart TV so I can watch them all on the big screen. It's more than enough to cover TV watching needs and there's no commercials. And all of those are $80-$90 less than DirecTV.

But sports is a real motherf'er. I had to ditch DirecTV after AT&T bought them due to a discrepancy over the bill, which had, over time, become bullshit. But I still paid the bill. The problem was, they didn't give me credit for paying my bill despite the fact that I proved to them that I did (this is a long, long story).

Anyway, for sports, I'll either go to a friend's, to a bar, or, if desperate enough, I'll go the illegal route. It is far from ideal and often a pain in the ass, but it works in a pinch. I'd been a DirecTV subscriber since the mid 90s and happily paid for NFL Sunday Ticket every single year because it's a bargain when compared to having to go to a game. But now I can't purchase the product through no fault of my own. So f*** it, I'll tap a european feed on the internet and watch for free on my computer. I really don't like doing that, but sometimes there's no choice.

underEJ 01-03-2017 11:20 AM

I have a place in KC too and have google fiber anyway, so I hooked up a slingbox and get my football through local kc broadcast. I have a tivo on it to to catch the small number of OTA shows I want to watch since I can't get OTA reception in LA. That plus netflix and amazon (have anyway for the shipping) equals no more directv and sunday ticket for me. This was the first season I did it and it is just about perfect. I have not had a reception issue yet on the KC side as CBS is really a strong channel for my setup. The rare fox game could be an issue, but this year I was in kc attending that game so no issue.

All in all, I save close to 200 dollars a month, because the only added cost is the tivo fee of 15 dollars. I already had everything else, plus the initial one time cost of 200 for the slingbox. I have also watched one game from my phone (verizon does free local and prime time games on the nfl app.) That was the Thursday night game because I was still at work.

Compared to the annual freakout I have over the cost of directv, it is a huge success.

underEJ 01-03-2017 11:28 AM

Oh and directv never once budged on cost for me when I threatened to drop the service after 20 years of subscribing. They even laughed and said they knew I'd be back when I dropped it for real. Not kidding. They told me I was considered a "lock" and they knew I'd return after one missed game. **** them. They will never get a dime form me again.

Gary 01-03-2017 01:09 PM

Have a Roku 3 for downstairs tv and a Roku 4 for upstairs tv, but my Samsung smart tv has all the access I need without using the Roku.

I have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon Prime, and HD antennas for local channels. I dropped Dish at least 4-5 years ago and haven't missed it since.

I purchased NFL Sunday Ticket streaming service, but I will not be renewing next year...WAAAAY too many hiccups while streaming games.

eDave 01-03-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 12658228)
Have a Roku 3 for downstairs tv and a Roku 4 for upstairs tv, but my Samsung smart tv has all the access I need without using the Roku.

I have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon Prime, and HD antennas for local channels. I dropped Dish at least 4-5 years ago and haven't missed it since.

I purchased NFL Sunday Ticket streaming service, but I will not be renewing next year...WAAAAY too many hiccups while streaming games.

http://www.wiz1.net/schedule

This chord cutting looks like it's a pain in the ass for the savings. Economies of scale I guess.