ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Free Agency begins today, sort of. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306438)

Coogs 03-07-2017 06:24 AM

Free Agency begins today, sort of.

Teams can work out deals starting today, but deals can't be signed until Thursday at 4:00 PM Eastern Time. Teams also have to be under the top 51 Cap number at that same time Thursday.

Coogs 03-07-2017 06:40 AM

One of the things I heard last night on NFL radio was that the Bears have an interest in Mike Glennon from the Buccs. If that is the case, it increases the odds of a QB making it to #27.

ptlyon 03-07-2017 06:48 AM

Wake up Romo, John is on the phone

Red Dawg 03-07-2017 06:57 AM

Peterson and Brandon will sell out and be Pats in a few days.

Nothing will be better for football than Brady quitting or getting injured. So sick of the same shit every year.

Red Dawg 03-07-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 12771931)
One of the things I heard last night on NFL radio was that the Bears have an interest in Mike Glennon from the Buccs. If that is the case, it increases the odds of a QB making it to #27.

So? We won't take one. My opinion is CB or ILB.

Mile High Mania 03-07-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 12771932)
Wake up Romo, John is on the phone

Cowboys have to decide if they are going to cut him before or after June 1.

If I read it correctly, they free up $5M and take a $19M dead hit in 2017 by cutting him prior to June 1. After June 1, they can split the dead hit and have more cap room.

So, Jerry has a big call to make here... the shrewd business man says he waits until after June 1, but if he wants to do right by Tony, he'll do it earlier.

And, what do you think Jerry will do?

oldman 03-07-2017 08:18 AM

Does any know where we stand with our own RFAs?

Bowser 03-07-2017 08:18 AM

Jerruh is all about Jerruh. If Romo had won him a title or two, things might shake out a bit differently.

ChiefGator 03-07-2017 08:21 AM

Yep.. my only hope is too see lots of QB movement before the draft, so we have a pick of a couple at #27.

BossChief 03-07-2017 08:24 AM

I've heard all sides of the Romo deal.

1) JJ wants Romo to be involved with the Cowboys after retirement, so that makes me believe he will grant his release soon so his friend can go elsewhere and have a wide open market bidding for his services.

2) keeping him on the roster till June 1st or designating him a June 1st cut keeps his full salary on the books till June 2nd...limiting how much Dallas can do to improve their roster. I don't see how that helps anyone. By that time FA is over as well as the draft and JJ would be releasing Romo when teams have already decided the direction they are going at QB. It would also hurt Romo because his options would be limited (therefore limiting his earning potential) and it would force him to miss OTAs and stuff with his new team.

3) trading or cutting him would excellerate the dead money right away...clearing 5m in cap space and adding compensation in terms of a pick.

If I'm Jerry Jones, I have a huge decision to make...if I'm in his shoes, I'd probably cut him in the next couple days if I can't get anything for him in trade.

Rooster 03-07-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Didn't the Bears already have Glennon at one time or am I getting my QBs mixed up?

Mile High Mania 03-07-2017 08:34 AM

Well, a trade is pure fantasy at this point.

I would imagine that Jerry will take the extra $10M in cap space by spreading the $19M over two years over a possible R3-R4 pick next year.

Honestly, I think too much is made about their friendship. You're talking about big $ and Jerry wants a ring because it's been a long time and you have a generation of "America's Team" kids that have grown up and witnessed the Cowboys go 2-8 in the playoffs since 1998.

Kids have been born and are graduating high school not knowing the 'America's Team' that their parents talk about. It's damn near ancient history, while teams like the Steelers and Packers continue to be consistent. I mention those two specifically because you can go back decades, esp PIT.

In Jerry's first 7 seasons, the Cowboys won 3 titles and were 68 and 44 overall.
In Jerry's last 21 seasons, the Cowboys won 0 titles and were 175 and 161 overall.

That's a lot of seasons for Dallas to be without hardware.

Sandy Vagina 03-07-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 12772001)
Does any know where we stand with our own RFAs?

Only real focus needs to be on retaining Cairo Santos.. and maybe Sorenson.. but no.. have not read anything about them yet.

loochy 03-07-2017 09:21 AM

I just heard on the radio:

Adrian Peterson to the Pats on a team friendly deal

LMAO and the rich get richer

pugsnotdrugs19 03-07-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Yep, and there's more QBs who could fill such voids between now and the draft. Garopolo, Foles, etc.

If it's Mahomes that the Chiefs want, he might make it to 27. Watson I doubt though. I'd like to see them be able to sit at 27 and then trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round to get a day one impact player or two.