ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Paylor:Parker Ehinger feels ‘just as good’ as he did before 2016 injury (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310243)

Tribal Warfare 09-20-2017 09:53 PM

Paylor:Parker Ehinger feels ‘just as good’ as he did before 2016 injury

Parker Ehinger feels ‘just as good’ as he did before 2016 injury] Parker Ehinger feels ‘just as good’ as he did before 2016 injury

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com

SEPTEMBER 20, 2017 5:21 PM

By mid-October of his rookie season, Parker Ehinger was settling into a groove.

As a rookie starter at left guard in 2016, the fourth-round pick had built a rapport with left tackle Eric Fisher, and had impressed his coaches with heady pass protection and technique.

Then, boom. An ACL tear against the Indianapolis that ended his season, just like that.

“It was definitely tough, because I felt like each game was coming easier to me, and things were starting to click,” Ehinger said. “It’s a bad part of the game.”

Ehinger has rehabbed his way back, however, thanks to the help of family and friends. After spending the entire preseason on the NFL’s Physically Unable to Perform list, he was added to the Chiefs’ 53-man roster before the season opener.

Ehinger has not appeared in a game yet –– Bryan Witzmann, his former roomate a year ago, has started the Chiefs’ first two games at his old position.

But he feels close.

“Doing good, man,” said Ehinger, who has been practicing at guard. “Rehabbing, getting healthy and ready to go. I feel just as good as I did before I got hurt.”

Prior to the injury, Ehinger checked in at 325 pounds. He’s leaned up some since then, and although he weighs 320 pounds, he’s redistributed his weight. Most importantly, there is no swelling in the knee, though there’s days where it is sore. That is normal, however, and while the team has decided to take it slow with him –– he was limited in Wednesday’s practice –– he still feels good about his progress.

“I feel good right now, I feel ready to go,” Ehinger said. “I’m just waiting for my name to get called.”

Injury report

Outside linebacker Dee Ford (shoulder) and inside linebacker Reggie Ragland (knee) were also limited Wednesday, while center Mitch Morse (foot sprain) did not practice.

penbrook 09-20-2017 09:58 PM

Do we keep Witzman at LG? He’s been doing solid

DaFace 09-20-2017 10:00 PM

Hope he can take his starting role back soon. It'd be nice to upgrade the LG position a bit. Witzmann hasn't exactly solidified his role there.

kccrow 09-20-2017 10:07 PM

Witzmann has been pretty solid, and especially good in the run game. Not sure if Ehinger is really an improvement there. I personally haven't seen the reasons for all the love Ehinger gets, but eh... whatever. May the best man win.

DaneMcCloud 09-20-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13094187)
Witzmann has been pretty solid, and especially good in the run game. Not sure if Ehinger is really an improvement there. I personally haven't seen the reasons for all the love Ehinger gets, but eh... whatever. May the best man win.

Agreed.

Ehinger was better in pass pro than in the ground game.

It's difficult to believe he's improved in that area since he's recovering from an ACL tear, so Witzmann is the better choice at this time, because he's clearly a better run blocker.

Ehinger probably has a higher ceiling but I'd be surprised if he surpasses Witzmann this year.

OldSchool 09-20-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13094187)

Witzmann has been ok but he hasn't been as consistently good as the other OL players on the team, IMO. It would be nice to get Ehinger back to create some competition for that spot and to have some insurance.

DaneMcCloud 09-20-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 13094215)
Witzmann has been ok but he hasn't been as consistently good as the other OL players on the team, IMO. It would be nice to get Ehinger back to create some competition for that spot and to have some insurance.

wut

Hoover 09-20-2017 10:43 PM

Good news all around

scho63 09-20-2017 10:48 PM

**** this guy until he produces at least a full minute online.

pugsnotdrugs19 09-20-2017 10:49 PM

Witzmann has done an okay job, although he has been penalized nearly a handful of times already. As has been mentioned, he seems to be a pretty good run blocker.

I'd still go with Ehinger as soon as he is fully ready. He was a good lineman from day one of his career, so you know he has the potential edge on Witzmann. He too was a good run blocker, which was evident when our run game fell off a cliff last year after his ACL injury.

Chiefshrink 09-20-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13094222)
Good news all around

Yes it is. And competition is always good. But if Witz is getting it done give Reid a reason to make a change then.

RealSNR 09-20-2017 10:58 PM

In what world did Parker Ehinger give people reason to think he's the next Brian ****ing Waters?

Here's how I remember Ehinger doing last year before his injury: he wasn't terrible. We definitely noticed his absence when Zach Fulton replaced him, because Fulton is just too damn slow-footed to be a decent run-blocking guard. But that's about it. He made some mistakes here and there, but I really can't remember that much energy surrounding the guy during preseason or regular season. Everybody just kind of said, "Well, at least he's not terrible. So that's nice. He might improve and become a good starting guard."

Honestly, how I feel about Bryan Witzmann is the EXACT way I felt when Parker Ehinger was our starting LG. I was glad we found a young starter for a dirt cheap price who had promise to be a good player one day and who wasn't looking like a Mike McGlynn clown out there while he gained experience in his first year.

Andy Reid as his coaching staff will know what to do and how to assess who is the best man for the job at the right time. But if I had to guess, based on last year, I imagine the two guys are VERY close in ability, and Reid isn't going to want to switch horses midstream when we're doing just fine with Witzmann unless Ehinger really is just blowing the doors off people and looking like the far better option.

Yeah, it's speculation, but it's based on what I've observed when it comes to most NFL coaches making decisions about a starting offensive line throughout the season.

I doubt Ehinger is going to be penciled in as a starter this year unless something happens to Witzmann or LDT. Hope you have better luck next year in winning back the starting LG spot, Parker.

Chiefshrink 09-20-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13094226)
Witzmann has done an okay job, although he has been penalized nearly a handful of times already. As has been mentioned, he seems to be a pretty good run blocker.

I'd still go with Ehinger as soon as he is fully ready. He was a good lineman from day one of his career, so you know he has the potential edge on Witzmann. He too was a good run blocker, which was evident when our run game fell off a cliff last year after his ACL injury.

The question becomes how "football ready" are his legs at this point to create that solid foundation and leverage for his new found upper body strength?:D

Danguardace 09-21-2017 02:56 AM

All I know is that as with the QB situation competition will improve the team.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-21-2017 03:25 AM

He's young and still developing and has potential to get better. At least get him some reps along the way to let coach and staff be able to evaluate whos the better player.