ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Iron Man 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260112)

Mr. Plow 05-02-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9651687)
Movie hasn't even landed yet and the spoiler tags are going full force.

Yup. Thinking it might be time to vacate the thread until I've seen the movie in a week or so.

JD10367 05-02-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9650729)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

bevischief 05-02-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9650279)
Where do you go to see new movie trailers? I've never heard of Lone Ranger and had only heard rumors about the 300 sequel.

There is a thread on here on the Lone Ranger.

bevischief 05-02-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9651687)
Movie hasn't even landed yet and the spoiler tags are going full force.

Limited US release and oversea release.

Sure-Oz 05-02-2013 11:22 AM

RT has it at 80% hope that its better than the 2bd one

Anyong Bluth 05-02-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9652409)
RT has it at 80% hope that its better than the 2bd one

I liked it better than the #2.

Its not amazing, but they tried a fresh approach on it, and it was entertaining. Less jokes it felt like but there were a few that I actually laughed out loud, and some solid action scenes.

Don't go in with TDK expectations, but a solid flick- plus I just never clicked with #2 as it felt scattered and really kind of thin in keeping my interest or amusement with the baddies.

Deberg_1990 05-02-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 9653152)

Don't go in with TDK expectations, but a solid flick- plus I just never clicked with #2 as it felt scattered and really kind of thin in keeping my interest or amusement with the baddies.

Honestly, this describes every Marvel film except The Avengers. They are all solid flicks, but nothing on the scale of Dark Knight. Nothing that's a game changer or mind blowing.

Sure-Oz 05-02-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 9653152)
I liked it better than the #2.

Its not amazing, but they tried a fresh approach on it, and it was entertaining. Less jokes it felt like but there were a few that I actually laughed out loud, and some solid action scenes.

good to know, im def more stoked for Man of Steel

Anyong Bluth 05-02-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9653403)
Honestly, this describes every Marvel film except The Avengers. They are all solid flicks, but nothing on the scale of Dark Knight. Nothing that's a game changer or mind blowing.

Fair enough, but they raised the bar compared to how well super hero flicks in general. Ya, x-men 1 and the original Spiderman was well received, even though I didn't particularly love McGuire in the role and liked last year's Spiderman way more.

The genre as a whole had a lot of crappy releases that often ended up straight to video, and really the Superman movies in the late 70's early 80's were it except the occasional outlier.

Movies like Spawn, or the early 90's Captain America, DareDevil, etc attempts were film abortions, and having Marvel and others intervene and protect their brands and bringing in better writers, directors and talent has made the superhero flicks way way better even if that simply means they would get a solid B grade or so if you're being objective in their quality.

Ironically, the new director for IM3 has his roots in scribing the original Lethal Weapon franchise, and when watching the movie there were scenes that I totally thought of those movies, and I didn't know this before seeing the movie. Don't think many will see this as it was just minor scene location choices and what not. Don't worry, Tony Stark doesn't go all "Rog" and start saying " I'm getting to old for this shit!" or anything.

On a sidenote, I do think Downey Jr. Probably had a great deal of input on who they chose as the director for 3, as they had previously worked together right after Downey's downfall and slide in Hollywood on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
A movie that I love, and put Downey back on the path to A list actor after he was considered too much a risk and all the negative PR had almost killed his career.

His performance with Val Kilmer was awesome. Oddly enough, Kilmer has sort of grown up, and started taking stronger minor roles in very good projects as well as more feature roles in smaller budget, independent or limited release films that have been really good.

Sort of like Affleck stepping away from the leading man shit roles and charging his own career by getting back to writing, directing, and way more selective in his project choices, but obviously to a much smaller degree or trajectory because Val is older and more limited at this point of his career.

Deberg_1990 05-02-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 9653573)
Fair enough, but they raised the bar compared to how well super hero flicks in general. Ya, x-men 1 and the original Spiderman was well received, even though I didn't particularly love McGuire in the role and liked last year's Spiderman way more.

The genre as a whole had a lot of crappy releases that often ended up straight to video, and really the Superman movies in the late 70's early 80's were it except the occasional outlier.

Movies like Spawn, or the early 90's Captain America, DareDevil, etc attempts were film abortions, and having Marvel and others intervene and protect their brands and bringing in better writers, directors and talent has made the superhero flicks way way better even if that simply means they would get a solid B grade or so if you're being objective in their quality.

Ironically, the new director for IM3 has his roots in scribing the original Lethal Weapon franchise, and when watching the movie there were scenes that I totally thought of those movies, and I didn't know this before seeing the movie. Don't think many will see this as it was just minor scene location choices and what not. Don't worry, Tony Stark doesn't go all "Rog" and start saying " I'm getting to old for this shit!" or anything.

On a sidenote, I do think Downey Jr. Probably had a great deal of input on who they chose as the director for 3, as they had previously worked together right after Downey's downfall and slide in Hollywood on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
A movie that I love, and put Downey back on the path to A list actor after he was considered too much a risk and all the negative PR had almost killed his career.

His performance with Val Kilmer was awesome. Oddly enough, Kilmer has sort of grown up, and started taking stronger minor roles in very good projects as well as more feature roles in smaller budget, independent or limited release films that have been really good.

Sort of like Affleck stepping away from the leading man shit roles and charging his own career by getting back to writing, directing, and way more selective in his project choices, but obviously to a much smaller degree or trajectory because Val is older and more limited at this point of his career.

I meant the Marvel studios films since 2008.

IM1 and 2
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America
Avengers

All solid films, except Avengers which i thought was spectacular.

The other films you mentioned are Marvel character films, but made by other studios. Not by Marvel themselves.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was awesome. Love that flick.

Anyong Bluth 05-02-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9653595)
I meant the Marvel studios films since 2008.

IM1 and 2
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Captain America
Avengers

All solid films, except Avengers which i thought was spectacular.

The other films you mentioned are Marvel character films, but made by other studios. Not by Marvel themselves.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was awesome. Love that flick.

Agreed all around as we were on the same line of thinking.

I really really like Avengers, but I'm even more amazed that I recognize what an almost impossible achievement that was to pull off.

Adequate attention to each character.
Strong plot that is original.
Keeping the proper film pacing with a single release time constraint.
I could go on and on even though I'm not in love with the flick but thinks its tremendously good and have very little to be critical about it considering the magnitude of the challenges at hand to actually not just pull it off but to end up being Marvel's strongest offering. Others will falsely claim with all those guys in it how could it not make it easy to make, but if that was true they fail to see how it can turn into a disjointed mess that feels like strung along scenes of cameos in a bland formulaic offering.

Might just need to pop on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang for a rewatch this evening!

Buehler445 05-02-2013 10:19 PM

You sons of BITCHES! Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is on HBO and I had to watch it.

Good flick though.

thabear04 05-03-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9650279)
Where do you go to see new movie trailers? I've never heard of Lone Ranger and had only heard rumors about the 300 sequel.

Go here for the movies coming out this year.... They are making another Wolverine.

http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/2013_...ters_2013.html

DBOSHO 05-03-2013 02:26 PM

Not a huge fan of this one.

Javabean 05-03-2013 05:57 PM

Thought it was a good movie, but not great. Easily better than the second one but not in the same league as The Avengers.