ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I know I am probably screwed but need advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267444)

BossChief 12-07-2012 12:07 AM

Now you know what brown can do for you.

Jenson71 12-07-2012 12:14 AM

Whoops. State law gives construction guys mechanics liens in case they don't get paid, so never give them an advance.

Okay, but lesson learned. Good luck. I would think you would get a default judgment in the county, then spend some time with the cops looking for forger. Then file your judgment in his county and attach his property. I would expect it to take time and probably not get full return, but you never know.

Phobia 12-07-2012 12:21 AM

1. Don't do business on craigslist.
2. If you do business on craigslist, don't advance any money.
3. If you're on a site with one of the best deck builders in the metro, call him first.

bevischief 12-07-2012 12:34 AM

Dumbass never pay up front.

Willie Lanier 12-07-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9187023)
Go buy a framing hammer with your last 20 dollars and smack yourself in the head with it.

FAX

ROFL

Really? How do you trust anyone in that particular sector of business? No disrespect to anyone in that industry, but if I'm doing anything on the house, I don't write a check before work is done...

Unless it's family...

ClevelandBronco 12-07-2012 12:41 AM

Yeah. This is a matter for the police now.

Next time a guy wants you to pay for materials up front, have the materials delivered to your site in your name and pay the supplier yourself upon delivery. Then it won't matter if the contract labor flakes out on you.

This guy either wanted to rip you off from the get-go, or he wanted you to become the banker for his business. Either situation is bullshit.

Phobia 12-07-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Lanier (Post 9187057)
ROFL

Really? How do you trust anyone in that particular sector of business? No disrespect to anyone in that industry, but if I'm doing anything on the house, I don't write a check before work is done...

Unless it's family...

You wouldn't do business me then. We make and agree upon a sensible payment schedule before work commences. That way if you get hit by a bus or are trying to take advantage of me, I don't lose my house. If I get hit by a bus or am trying to take advantage of you, you're not hurt too badly either. I can't buy $5k worth of material and then float you a loan while paying for the labor to have it all installed. There's a reasonable compromise and if you do business with reputable people who have real businesses your risk is minimal. If you do business with people from craigslist or want ads, you're going to be screwed more often than not. I've been hurt a whole lot worse by deadbeat clients than this guy was screwed by a scam artist.

ClevelandBronco 12-07-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9187066)
You wouldn't do business me then. We make and agree upon a sensible payment schedule before work commences. That way if you get hit by a bus or are trying to take advantage of me, I don't lose my house. If I get hit by a bus or am trying to take advantage of you, you're not hurt too badly either. I can't buy $5k worth of material and then float you a loan while paying for the labor to have it all installed. There's a reasonable compromise and if you do business with reputable people who have real businesses your risk is minimal. If you do business with people from craigslist or want ads, you're going to be screwed more often than not. I've been hurt a whole lot worse by deadbeat clients than this guy was screwed by a scam artist.

The way I see it, you want your client to lend you money to pay for your employees. If your client is paying your expenses throughout the job, what exactly do they need you for?

Phobia 12-07-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9187072)
The way I see it, you want your client to lend you money to pay for your employees. If your client is paying your expenses throughout the job, what exactly do they need you for?

No. Not at all. I want paid for materials as they're delivered. I want paid for a half-done job when it's half done. I can't do a $50k job and wait a month to get paid on it. Some guys can and do.

I lost $15k to a lady when I first moved to KC. That will never happen again. Ever.

They need me for my expertise, resources and labor. I don't need a grocery store. I can create everything they sell there. I just don't have time, tools, nor expertise.

jjjayb 12-07-2012 01:02 AM

Call these guys:

http://www.jmorganmarketing.com/wp-c.../06/a-team.jpg

Jenson71 12-07-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9187075)
No. Not at all. I want paid for materials as they're delivered. I want paid for a half-done job when it's half done. I can't do a $50k job and wait a month to get paid on it. Some guys can and do.

I lost $15k to a lady when I first moved to KC. That will never happen again. Ever.

here's where the theory hits the street, I suppose. My understanding is that the mechanics lien attaches whatever you built or improved upon. But there's no protection for all the lost hours spent, huh.

Phobia 12-07-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 9187084)
here's where the theory hits the books, I suppose. My understanding is that the mechanics lien attaches whatever you built or improved upon. But there's no protection for all the lost hours spent, huh.

Mechanics liens are awesome for new construction. Because the title can't be transferred without the lien being paid. They're worthless for an existing home because you're out the materials and labor you put in plus the filing costs of renewing the lien. My mistake was working on a rental for a lady that won't transfer title until she dies. There's no way I'm throwing $50 a year at that for 40 years until she's dead. I'm already out $15k. Live and learn. I learned.

ClevelandBronco 12-07-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9187075)

They need me for my expertise, resources and labor. I don't need a grocery store. I can create everything they sell there. I just don't have time, tools, nor expertise.

I've never had a grocery store just disappear with my money, and except for Costco, they've never asked me to pay in advance.

I understand your position, and we might be able to come to an agreement only if I knew and trusted your reputation.

Phobia 12-07-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9187093)
I've never had a grocery store just disappear with my money, and except for Costco, they've never asked me to pay in advance.

I understand your position, and we might be able to come to an agreement only if I knew and trusted your reputation.

We're on the same page. Reputation is 60% of closing for me.

ClevelandBronco 12-07-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9187098)
We're on the same page. Reputation is 60% of closing for me.

It's a joy to find people who have that kind of reputation. It's a relatively rare and valuable asset.