ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs I know I am probably screwed but need advice (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267444)

Phobia 05-19-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9692020)
I've used Craigslist and it normally works out fairly well, you can screen people on their emails and their phone calls when you talk with them. Plus you can look up arrest records online if you want to.

I had a guy want money up front to paint my house, needed $500 for paint. I said, "Oh that's great! I have $200 in Home Depot gift cards and I can use them to go grab it today. When can you start?" One guy sulked on the phone saying he wasn't sure what his schedule was and that he'd have to call me back. Instantly I knew he was trying to scam.

Heh. I wouldn't let somebody without a shingle paint my house. I've fixed dozens of craigslist contractor jobs. A craigslist painter is going to slap a board up over your wood rot instead of taking the time to cut it out and stop the problem. A craigslist contractor isn't trying to build a business because he's always going to have unlimited idiots on craigslist. I'm fixing a lady's house this week who paid $1500 to a craigslist guy a couple years back. She gets to spend about $7k instead of $3k like normal houses of her size because she hired an asshole who was more worried about getting paid than fixing her house the right way the first time.

Prison Bitch 05-19-2013 05:32 PM

Well I wanted my deck powerwashed an several companies on Craig's gave me $3-500 quotes. On guy said $50. Brought it over, did it in an hour an it looks great.

gomer900 10-14-2013 03:45 PM

Hey all you guys that got ripped off by Mr. "Brown Can Do", I have good news for you! I got ripped off too and reported him to the police. They stuck him with felony theft and deceptive business practices. They issued a warrant for his arrest -- it took a few months but he eventually got picked up. Court is tomorrow!

I have accumulated A LOT of info on this scammer, so if you need any info to go after him, feel free to PM me.

Phobia 10-14-2013 03:46 PM

Good job, Gomer.

Sassy Squatch 10-14-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomer900 (Post 10085907)
Hey all you guys that got ripped off by Mr. "Brown Can Do", I have good news for you! I got ripped off too and reported him to the police. They stuck him with felony theft and deceptive business practices. They issued a warrant for his arrest -- it took a few months but he eventually got picked up. Court is tomorrow!

I have accumulated A LOT of info on this scammer, so if you need any info to go after him, feel free to PM me.

Great job, Pyle! Looks like you're not a complete waste of shit after all!

Rain Man 10-14-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you got ripped off, but I'm glad the guy is being prosecuted. Nice work.

|Zach| 10-14-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9691426)
Remember when we had like 8 guys on that one project named some iteration of "Mike"? Even the concrete truck driver was named Mike.

LMAO

|Zach| 10-14-2013 04:06 PM

Hope this ends well for some folks that have come on to this thread.

NewChief 10-14-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9692007)
Depends on how much for how long. Home Depot can afford to float the cost of materials but if you special order something, you pay for it in advance. There's no absolute answer on it. I've deviated from my policies to make a client comfortable. But the real answer is that you don't do business with random idiots you found on the internet. Get a referral from a friend or pick somebody you know to be local and established.

If I were dealing with a contractor who didn't have the operating capital to special order stuff, I think I'd do his special ordering for him.

"You need doohickey #4? Great, I'll cut Home Depot a check and have them order it for you. If you want to tack on a contractor fee next draw to that then that's fine, but I'll place the order."

Phobia 10-14-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10085989)
If I were dealing with a contractor who didn't have the operating capital to special order stuff, I think I'd do his special ordering for him.

"You need doohickey #4? Great, I'll cut Home Depot a check and have them order it for you. If you want to tack on a contractor fee next draw to that then that's fine, but I'll place the order."

Yeah - whatever is needed to make all parties comfortable on a transaction. I have operating capital variances throughout the year. My cash flow is gonna be a little tight in the winter though. Tough times.

NewChief 10-14-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10086043)
Yeah - whatever is needed to make all parties comfortable on a transaction. I have operating capital variances throughout the year. My cash flow is gonna be a little tight in the winter though. Tough times.

We are the opposite. Summer was tight. Though cash flow can be an issue because of the amount of product turnover and volume of orders to vendors.

Phobia 10-14-2013 04:41 PM

I get jacked up when I do insurance work. Some of them take a little while to pay.

jspchief 10-14-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10086083)
I get jacked up when I do insurance work. Some of them take a little while to pay.

Yeah. Insurance companies are a pain in the ass. And half the time the customer thinks you should want to "work out a deal" as if insurance companies are suckers that overpay.

Simply Red 10-14-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

http://i39.tinypic.com/wbdzy1.gif

SAUTO 10-14-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 10086083)

This
Posted via Mobile Device