ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV TRON 3 is An Unofficial ‘Done Deal’ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249253)

Tribal Warfare 08-30-2011 06:38 PM

TRON 3 is An Unofficial ‘Done Deal’

Tron is set to go in 2013

Bruce Boxleitner confidently tells a fan that his return for ‘TRON 3′ is an absolute and that we can expect it to arrive in theaters in 2013. Now, we just wait for Disney to say the same.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ml4FHeFRXdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fans had to wait 28 years to see Jeff Bridges grace the grid screen once again as Kevin Flynn aka Clu in TRON: Legacy but it’ll be a significantly shorter wait for Disney to bring TRON 3 to the silver screen. Despite mediocre reviews, the 3D sequel earned over $400 million and so it wasn’t surprising to see TRON 3 teaser trailers added to the TRON: Legacy home video releases.

Always thinking in terms of branding and franchising, Disney had people at work on a story for TRON 3 months before Legacy even hit theaters. Back in April, director Joe Kosinski talked about some of those story ideas they had for the TRON: Legacy sequel and not long after, David DiGilio was brought in to pen the TRON 3 screenplay. As for the illusive “greenlight” and whether or not the cast will return, star Bruce Boxleitner aka Tron says it’s a done deal - His words.

Disney showcased TRON: Legacy three years straight at San Diego Comic-Con and during one of those three years, I had a chance to chat with Bruce Boxleitner who was ecstatic that he had the opportunity to return to that franchise after nearly three decades. It was there, inside of Flynn’s Arcade, where I raised the obligatory question of another sequel, a third installment, to which he smiled and replied, “wouldn’t that be nice.”

That was last summer and since then, the film made its run in theaters and is now available on Blu-ray and DVD. According to present-day Boxleitner, TRON 3 is more than just a “nice” thought now, but a certainty. During signings at Disney’s D23 event last week, a fan asked about his interest in returning for TRON 3 to which Bruce confidently replied:

”Oh, it’s already a done deal. It’s already in the works, my friend.”

And there you have it: More confirmation on what we already know. Although marketing expenses and a lengthy development schedule kept costs high for TRON: Legacy, it’s a brand Disney is not giving up on; It’s profitable and now it’s recognizable again. With processes and digital assets already created and refined, a sequel should be much more feasible and we can expect the entire cast to return.

Boxleitner continued, explaining that we can expect to see him back as Alan Bradley and/or Tron in 2013.

As for the story of TRON 3, by all accounts the film will pick up right where Legacy left off with Quorra (Olivia Wilde​) and Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) together in the real world. According to the teasers, there’s a good chance we’ll see a few more connections made to the original TRON, with actors such as Dan Shor and David Warner potentially (and hopefully) returning to their roles of Ram and Ed Dillinger, respectively. Dillinger of course, was the villain of the first film and his son, Dillinger Jr., had a cameo in TRON: Legacy, played by Cillian Murphy, who many fans would like to see return as the villain of the next movie.

Expect official word on the next TRON movie around the time they start building hype for the TRON: Uprising animated a series next year, where Boxleitner will again provide the voice and likeness of the title character, Tron, joined by an all-star cast including Elijah Wood​, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens and Lance Henriksen.

TRON 3 will likely release in the fall of 2013.

listopencil 08-30-2011 07:15 PM

That's too bad. TRON: Legacy was crap.

Hammock Parties 08-30-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 7864755)

It was entertaining and better than the original.

007 08-30-2011 11:36 PM

Cool

Pushead2 08-31-2011 07:04 AM

Trash

DMAC 08-31-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 7864755)

I thought it was awesome.

CrazyPhuD 08-31-2011 12:13 PM

Is it going to be called Tron 3: Get a Clu?

ModSocks 08-31-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gif Horse (Post 7865181)

I agree.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I think Ima go watch a Journey music video now...

Deberg_1990 08-31-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gif Horse (Post 7865181)

Yes, but ive always thought the original was pretty bad.

007 08-31-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7867138)
Yes, but ive always thought the original was pretty bad.

Yeah, it was kind of bad. But I still like it. Legacy was great.

Tribal Warfare 08-31-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 7866459)
I agree.

I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I think Ima go watch a Journey music video now...

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iljQl8kQMhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 08-31-2011 06:06 PM

I enjoyed it and really liked the original (old enough to remember when it was groundbreaking). I agree with others who felt it took a sharp turn towards suckage in the end, primarily because it was never adequately explained what happened to Tron, or what motivated him to turn and turn again. That was a big ass missing piece of the plot that was seemingly eliminated to keep the running time down.

But still, it was way cool. Looking forward to the next one.

mnchiefsguy 08-31-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7867384)
I enjoyed it and really liked the original (old enough to remember when it was groundbreaking). I agree with others who felt it took a sharp turn towards suckage in the end, primarily because it was never adequately explained what happened to Tron, or what motivated him to turn and turn again. That was a big ass missing piece of the plot that was seemingly eliminated to keep the running time down.

Yeah, for a movie with TRON in the title, it focused very little on Tron. That back story of him being corrupted and turned and then redeeming himself at the end could have really made the film better. A good flick, and a fun ride, but it happen the potential to be so much better.

listopencil 08-31-2011 06:18 PM

Legacy was better but that's not saying much. The original TRON was a dog of a movie. All special effects and no story telling. Blah.

007 08-31-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7867384)

Yeah, but back then, I really didn't give a shit about the plot hole. It was just cool.