ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals Official 2017 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=305574)

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2017 10:47 AM

BFIB! (If you ignore what happens when the team has losing seasons)

raybec 4 04-10-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12817530)
BFIB! (If you ignore what happens when the team has losing seasons)

What does that mean? Are you insinuating the fan base won't have a reaction to a losing season?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12817535)
What does that mean? Are you insinuating the fan base won't have a reaction to a losing season?

Multiple losing seasons would cause some interesting developments. I mean true losing seasons. Not 80-82.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12817542)
Multiple losing seasons would cause some interesting developments. I mean true losing seasons. Not 80-82.

I think one real shit season is going to cause a lot of pissed off fans. Especially considering the state of the Cubs right now.

raybec 4 04-10-2017 12:31 PM

Season is saved boys. Rosie is coming off the DL today.

DJ's left nut 04-10-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12817642)
I think one real shit season is going to cause a lot of pissed off fans. Especially considering the state of the Cubs right now.

It's a double-edged sword.

All fanbases of idiots and homers. But the Cardinals fanbase has an unusually large% of fans that are deeply invested in the team from the top down; all the way through the system. And those fans have a finely tuned bullshit detector.

Mozeliak has been hiding behind them and in so doing set up a situation where, when things do fall to hell, the fans that would've cared enough to stick around are going to recognize that there's no plan and there's never been one.

Had Mozeliak given this fanbase the credit it deserved and re-tooled around the idea of being at full speed in 2019/2020, they'd have understood and been there for the duration. But instead he's taken the cowards way out and those fans that would've supported him for losing with an eye on the future will be at the front of the mob and the loudest ones calling for his head when his rudderless direction has the Cards lost in the wilderness.

Mozeliak ****ed up so very badly. He took all the advantages this team has and used them against himself. He took fan support as a reason to retain Mike Matheny instead of getting rid of him when he had an opening. He took sustained success as an excuse to do nothing rather than utilize the goodwill to ride out a rebuild and carry forward to the next wave of success.

He was lazy, shortsighted and arrogant. He should be on a damn hot seat right now but he won't be.

raybec 4 04-10-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12817655)
It's a double-edged sword.

All fanbases of idiots and homers. But the Cardinals fanbase has an unusually large% of fans that are deeply invested in the team from the top down; all the way through the system. And those fans have a finely tuned bullshit detector.

Mozeliak has been hiding behind them and in so doing set up a situation where, when things do fall to hell, the fans that would've cared enough to stick around are going to recognize that there's no plan and there's never been one.

Had Mozeliak given this fanbase the credit it deserved and re-tooled around the idea of being at full speed in 2019/2020, they'd have understood and been there for the duration. But instead he's taken the cowards way out and those fans that would've supported him for losing with an eye on the future will be at the front of the mob and the loudest ones calling for his head when his rudderless direction has the Cards lost in the wilderness.

Mozeliak ****ed up so very badly. He took all the advantages this team has and used them against himself. He took fan support as a reason to retain Mike Matheny instead of getting rid of him when he had an opening. He took sustained success as an excuse to do nothing rather than utilize the goodwill to ride out a rebuild and carry forward to the next wave of success.

He was lazy, shortsighted and arrogant. He should be on a damn hot seat right now but he won't be.

I can't really point to much Mo has done and think to myself, that was a great move. He has a lot of average/below average moves surrounded by a few WTF moments.

DJ's left nut 04-10-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12817672)
I can't really point to much Mo has done and think to myself, that was a great move. He has a lot of average/below average moves surrounded by a few WTF moments.

The Lackey move was genuinely outstanding and I was PISSED when he made it. Gotta give him a lot of credit there.

Edmonds for Freese turned out extremely well also.

Insisting on Miller instead of Martinez in the Heyward package is a nice move; most in baseball would've seen Miller as the more valuable commodity at the time.

Beyond that...Cox for Mujica, I guess? There are probably a few others I'm forgetting that were solid if unspectacular. He got Holliday for a hell of a lot less than Oakland gave up to originally acquire him for Colorado, so I guess that's a win.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2017 01:01 PM

The problem is as long as they hover near .500 and churn out lame as **** dual bobblehead nights (for Dan and Al to jerkoff to), the fans will keep on coming and the stooges are safe.

raybec 4 04-10-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12817694)
The Lackey move was genuinely outstanding and I was PISSED when he made it. Gotta give him a lot of credit there.

Edmonds for Freese turned out extremely well also.

Insisting on Miller instead of Martinez in the Heyward package is a nice move; most in baseball would've seen Miller as the more valuable commodity at the time.

Beyond that...Cox for Mujica, I guess? There are probably a few others I'm forgetting that were solid if unspectacular. He got Holliday for a hell of a lot less than Oakland gave up to originally acquire him for Colorado, so I guess that's a win.

Yeah, that was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I still think we should have kept Shelby and passed on a rental of Heyward. But Lackey is his best move by far. I wish we would've been able to hold on to him.

bdj23 04-10-2017 06:38 PM

Wong :facepalm:

kcpasco 04-10-2017 06:44 PM

So much for better defense.

Jewish Rabbi 04-10-2017 07:28 PM

Jon Broxton II's tenure off to a great start.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 07:32 PM

Goddamn I hate Matheny. Why did he run Waino beck out there who hadn't had a decent inning yet and barely got out of the last inning?

bdj23 04-10-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 12818591)

We should have just re-signed Choate

Marcellus 04-10-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 12818591)

Wasn't Cecil supposed to be good?

DJ's left nut 04-10-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12818624)
Wasn't Cecil supposed to be good?

"I thought you said you didn't have any high priced talent on this team"

"I forgot about Cecil because he's just high priced"

Moe giving a reliever too much for too long doesn't make him good. It makes him 'tested'. See: Broxton, Jon.

kcpasco 04-10-2017 07:49 PM

It's early still but this looks to be a poorly constructed team. Mediocre pitching combined with bad defense and an offense that depends to much on homeruns.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12818634)
"I thought you said you didn't have any high priced talent on this team"

"I forgot about Cecil because he's just high priced"

Moe giving a reliever too much for too long doesn't make him good. It makes him 'tested'. See: Broxton, Jon.

I was actually saying wasn't he pretty good before we signed him?

Broxton was shit before he got here.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 12818644)
It's early still but this looks to be a poorly constructed team. Mediocre pitching combined with bad defense and an offense that depends to much on homeruns.

You mean this is just like last years team?

kcpasco 04-10-2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12818660)
You mean this is just like last years team?

Yep, l wasn't buying all the bs about improved defense. This team looks like it needs a rebuild.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 08:00 PM

And look a double play off an outfield line drive.

Just as dumb as last years team.

Carpenter sucks I have completely lost faith in the guy. Nutjob galore.

bdj23 04-10-2017 08:01 PM

LOL!

kcpasco 04-10-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12818673)
And look a double play off an outfield line drive.

Just as dumb as last years team.

Carpenter sucks I have completely lost faith in the guy. Nutjob galore.

I'm not even that upset. This team is poorly constructed and not going anywhere. Maybe a really bad year could get mush head Matheny on the hot seat.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 08:02 PM

Looks like I will have some extra time and $ on my hands this summer. This team is going to be a shit show.

Marcellus 04-10-2017 08:07 PM

Of course Rosy then goes out and strikes out the side. Should have had him pitch the ****ing 5th inning.

lewdog 04-10-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 12818681)
Looks like I will have some extra time and $ on my hands this summer. This team is going to be a shit show.

Go work on your car and post pictures.

Thanks.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2017 08:45 PM

Broxton ROFL Pillsbury Doughboy sumbitch

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-10-2017 08:52 PM

Rough seven game stretch.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-10-2017 09:47 PM

Lose by 9...4 2 out RBI!!! ROSEY!!!/Dan

KChiefs1 04-10-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 12818678)
I'm not even that upset. This team is poorly constructed and not going anywhere. Maybe a really bad year could get mush head Matheny on the hot seat.

As a Royals fan I don't have a dog in this fight but living in predominant Card country here in JCMO...why all the Matheny hate?

Every Card fan I've spoken to, hates this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewish Rabbi 04-10-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12818959)
As a Royals fan I don't have a dog in this fight but living in predominant Card country here in JCMO...why all the Matheny hate?

Other than the fact that he's a god damn awful manager in every aspect of the job, I'm sure he's a nice enough guy.

DJ's left nut 04-10-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Because he's ****ing reeruned.

He combines the tactical acumen of a golden retriever with the people skills of a cigar store Indian and then covers it in a veneer of bullshit piety and haughty condescension that makes me want to hit him with a car.

Hes a bible thumping, somehow LESS qualified, less likeable version of Kim Anderson.

**** him in his stupid face.

raybec 4 04-10-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

I'll try to put it in terms every Chiefs fan can understand. Mike Matheny is the Herm Edwards of MLB. He was a good player, had moderate success with other people's teams but utterly flounders during game day.

Frazod 04-11-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12818993)
I'll try to put it in terms every Chiefs fan can understand. Mike Matheny is the Herm Edwards of MLB. He was a good player, had moderate success with other people's teams but utterly flounders during game day.

The only difference is eventually Herm got shitcanned. Every year the team gets a little bit worse, and no one in the front office seems to give a shit.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12819139)
The only difference is eventually Herm got shitcanned. Every year the team gets a little bit worse, and no one in the front office seems to give a shit.

But hey that dual bobble head and 2 out RBI!!/Dan

DJ's left nut 04-11-2017 04:05 PM

Good News! Gyorko and Martinez are playing!

Bad news - Carpenter's not, Molina is batting 3rd and Martinez is batting 8th.

There's an outside chance that Matheny's actively trying to get himself fired but I think that's too clever by half. He's just really dumb.

raybec 4 04-11-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12819962)

There's an outside chance that Matheny's actively trying to get himself fired but I think that's too clever by half. He's just really dumb.

Goddamn that guy. If you stand close to him, I bet you can hear him getting dumber.

DJ's left nut 04-11-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12819977)
Goddamn that guy. If you stand close to him, I bet you can hear him getting dumber.

I missed it but I hear when he went to pull Siegrist yesterday he didn't say a word to him. He just took the ball. Then as Siegrist was walking off the mound and all the infielders are standing around him and the new pitcher is walking in Matheny stands there on the mound....saying nothing. To anyone.

Surrounded by his infield as his team is actively attempting to lose a game that the Nationals have done everything in their power to blow and he's staring blankly into the outfield.

Because he's a mother****er.

KChiefs1 04-11-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12818980)
Because he's ****ing reeruned.

He combines the tactical acumen of a golden retriever with the people skills of a cigar store Indian and then covers it in a veneer of bullshit piety and haughty condescension that makes me want to hit him with a car.

Hes a bible thumping, somehow LESS qualified, less likeable version of Kim Anderson.

**** him in his stupid face.

Why don't you tell me how you really feel?

KChiefs1 04-11-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Aren't the Cards rolling in tv dough right now?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 06:03 PM

Rosey got 3 outs in a blowout!!! Would you puhleeeeeease shut the **** up. Jeez I hate this broadcast.

Dan is mine to Matheny to DJ

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 06:08 PM

Another error uh oh

Marcellus 04-11-2017 06:17 PM

And of course they give up 2 runs and still have 2 on.

bdj23 04-11-2017 06:24 PM

When Grichuk makes contact it goes far

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 06:27 PM

Zimmerman, that's how you go oppo

bdj23 04-11-2017 06:38 PM

Barf

It's gonna be a brutal summer.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 12820183)
Barf

It's gonna be a brutal summer.

THREE TOUGH LINEUPS, REDS ARE UP AND COMING AND TWO CONTENDERS/actually, pathetically mumbled by Al

Miles 04-11-2017 06:56 PM

Not enjoying this game.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-11-2017 06:58 PM

Yeah Murphy is clean :rolleyes:

Mi_chief_fan 04-11-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Had to do a double take- is that really you, Frazod?

Mi_chief_fan 04-11-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12817488)
I'm sticking with my 80 game prediction. They can't be this bad for an entire season...can they?

Wish I shared your optimism

Frazod 04-11-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 12820236)
Had to do a double take- is that really you, Frazod?

Yeah, I've been back for a couple of months now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-11-2017 09:38 PM

If the team sucks, it puts more pressure on Mozeliak to actually fix the Matheny issue, which has poisoned the entire clubhouse for several years now.

The team does feel rudderless right now. Mozeliak is making tweak moves rather than splash moves, either going all in or tearing it down. There isn't enough left in the pipeline to suggest that the team is immediately ready to compete. Like the Royals, the worst thing this team can have happen is to be w/in striking distance of WC2, because then they'll likely buy when they should sell.

They're in a similar position to the Chiefs right now--not good enough as is without enough help coming to turn the tide while also not being bad enough to rip it down.

raybec 4 04-11-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

That's got a lot to do with the fact that they're still raking in a ton of cash. Cards fans are different from most others. They will still go to games and buy jerseys when the team loses 90. Shit, Royals fans hate hearing the BFIB schtick and so do I but they won it all and had lower attendance the next season. That never happens in STL.

Frazod 04-11-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12820521)
That's got a lot to do with the fact that they're still raking in a ton of cash. Cards fans are different from most others. They will still go to games and buy jerseys when the team loses 90. Shit, Royals fans hate hearing the BFIB schtick and so do I but they won it all and had lower attendance the next season. That never happens in STL.

Yeah, but it needs to if they're ever going to get any better. There are only two pieces left from the championship team that Matheny has ridden into the ground, and they're both in their twilight years. We'll never compete with a big money, big city team like the Cubs that's finally being run right until all this shit gets blown up and the rebuilding process starts.

I'm taking the wife to Atlanta for the Braves/Cardinals series next month. The way they're playing right now, I don't look forward to it at all. Of course, the Braves suck too, but in a good way because they're actually fully involved in the rebuilding process.

Frazod 04-11-2017 10:19 PM

And I just saw tonight's score. Holy ****. :shake:

raybec 4 04-12-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12820562)
And I just saw tonight's score. Holy ****. :shake:

The game was on ESPN, it was good for a few innings. Then, in typical fashion from last year, the wheels came off.

Swanman 04-12-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12820977)
The game was on ESPN, it was good for a few innings. Then, in typical fashion from last year, the wheels came off.

Right now the team isn't particularly good at pitching, hitting, fielding, baserunning and throwing. Beyond that, they are doing just fine.

Rosie at least looked good after watching Lynn and Cecil throw batting practice.

We finally get a start for Greg Garcia today and he is playing........SS. Matheny is rolling out his LaRussa "we won the first two games of a series getaway day lineup". Molina, Diaz and Grichuk are all sitting. On a good note, so is the corpse of Jhonny Peralta.

raybec 4 04-12-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 12821349)
Right now the team isn't particularly good at pitching, hitting, fielding, baserunning and throwing. Beyond that, they are doing just fine.

Rosie at least looked good after watching Lynn and Cecil throw batting practice.

We finally get a start for Greg Garcia today and he is playing........SS. Matheny is rolling out his LaRussa "we won the first two games of a series getaway day lineup". Molina, Diaz and Grichuk are all sitting. On a good note, so is the corpse of Jhonny Peralta.

The highest average for a position player in today's line up is the always dangerous Eric Fryer at .333 probably because he's only had 3 at bats. After that it's Gyorko at .220. Good grief, why they don't just get on the bus now is beyond me. They're facing Scherzer today so let's just call it.

The Durham Bulls could beat these Cardinals

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PnIaqAsnSxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 04-12-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12821384)
The highest average for a position player in today's line up is the always dangerous Eric Fryer at .333 probably because he's only had 3 at bats. After that it's Gyorko at .220. Good grief, why they don't just get on the bus now is beyond me. They're facing Scherzer today so let's just call it.

The Durham Bulls could beat these Cardinals

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PnIaqAsnSxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was saving this for when we actually went 8 and 16! :cuss:

raybec 4 04-12-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12821398)
I was saving this for when we actually went 8 and 16! :cuss:

At this pace we'll lose way more than 16 before we win 8. Sorry

raybec 4 04-12-2017 02:57 PM

Leake looks solid today, Scherzer does not. It's early though.

Frazod 04-12-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12821412)
At this pace we'll lose way more than 16 before we win 8. Sorry

LMAO

raybec 4 04-12-2017 04:41 PM

Here we go, Rosie comes in during the bottom of the 8th in a shutout up by 3. He throws 10 pitches and Washington plates a run, with the tying run on 1st. Gets pulled for Bowman without recording an out.

Hoopsdoc 04-12-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12819962)

Molina batting 3rd. I honestly don't know whether to LMAO or :facepalm:.

raybec 4 04-13-2017 08:57 AM

I didn't see it posted here but Jose Martinez playing first the other night was an abortion. Diaz made a diving stop and a spinning throw that Martinez had to stretch for and his effort was laughable.

O.city 04-13-2017 10:11 AM

He's jerking grichuk around again by putting Adams dumbass in LF.

Just put Adams at 1st, carp to 3rd, dfa peralta and go from there. Jesus.

DJ's left nut 04-13-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12822510)
He's jerking grichuk around again by putting Adams dumbass in LF.

Just put Adams at 1st, carp to 3rd, dfa peralta and go from there. Jesus.

You forgot Garcia at 2b and drop-kicking Wong into the sun.

O.city 04-13-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12822598)

Sure.

Or put Garcia at 3rd. I don't care. Just gotta placeholder 3rd until Manny gets here next year.

VAChief 04-13-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12822598)

That is our best combined offensive and defensive alignment. Adams is better than Carpenter at 1st. Garcia will get on base and make all the routine plays.

VAChief 04-13-2017 12:00 PM

Bringing in McGee to "tutor" Adams in the outfield seems about as productive as bringing in Will Shields to teach Santos how to block.

raybec 4 04-13-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12822653)
Sure.

Or put Garcia at 3rd. I don't care. Just gotta placeholder 3rd until Manny gets here next year.

I would love that, unfortunately with Mo hoveri g in the safe zone that will never happen.

bdj23 04-14-2017 07:19 PM

Wong :facepalm:

bdj23 04-14-2017 08:07 PM

Don't understand not waving grichuk around.

This team sucks.

Frazod 04-14-2017 09:28 PM

My father-in-law is a Yankees fan. If they don't win tomorrow Easter is going to be really annoying. :grr:

DJ's left nut 04-15-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 12823225)
I would love that, unfortunately with Mo hoveri g in the safe zone that will never happen.

He knows.

bdj23 04-15-2017 11:32 AM

These reeruns can't do anything right.

duncan_idaho 04-15-2017 12:44 PM

Really enjoying watching Martinez today, even if he's having a Little League start (walks and strikeouts).

Saw the comments about Machado ... is that really a serious thought in St. Louis? Also, believe he and Harper both have another year with current teams after this one... before at least one ends up wearing pinstripes.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-15-2017 01:51 PM

No, O is a loon at times