ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV RIPD Trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272290)

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-23-2013 10:45 PM

Van Wilder and Buried were both fine. He was in an indy film where he plays a father who learns that he's incapable of having children. Can't remember the name, but it was decent enough.

Just Friends is actually pretty damned funny. I forgot about that one.

DJ's left nut 07-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9829280)
Smokin' Aces

This.

I'm ashamed to admit that I like Reynolds. He's damn likeable and has a dry wit that I just get a kick out of.

And I think he did a really good job in Smokin' Aces. Maybe I'm just a rube, but I really walked away from the end of that movie feeling for his character, which tells me that he did his job well.

I was hoping this would be a good movie, but according to pretty much everyone, it wasn't.

Oh well, I'll still rent it because dammit, he's still entertaining to me!

EDIT: Good call on Just Friends. Waiting was good as well, but only because I was a waiter for awhile and can guarantee you that that movie is frighteningly accurate. His character was just another Van Wilder effort so I got bored with it, but I'll still watch that movie for awhile anytime I stumble onto it while running channels.

MVChiefFan 07-23-2013 11:12 PM

I'm not a romantic movie type of guy but I can't help but like Just Friends. I've probably watched it five or six times...it's just funny.

silver5liter 07-23-2013 11:12 PM

I really like Reynolds. But man he picks the shittiest movies.

Buehler445 07-23-2013 11:35 PM

Van Wilder was good
The change up was good for some cheap laughs. And Olivia Wilde
I really liked Smokin Aces. I very much enjoyed it.
I haven't seen the proposal but I hear it is funny.
I also haven't seen safe house. Is it any good?

Deberg_1990 07-23-2013 11:52 PM

He's a good actor, funny, like able guy I guess, but he's not a star. After Green Lantern and RIPD bombing, he's probably nearly out of chances to headline big budgets anymore.

He needs to take some smaller supporting roles again to get his groove back. Adventureland was probably the best film he's ever appeared in.

DJ's left nut 07-24-2013 12:54 AM

He needs to take the Colin Farrell approach to jump-starting his career.

After being charming and clever and seemingly destined to be a leading man, he just. kept. bombing.

Shitfest after shitfest. After Alexander and Miami Vice I thought the guy was just done.

Then came In Bruges - just an outstanding movie where he wasn't asked to carry the load. He was given a strong role with 2 extremely good co-stars and veteran actors and suddenly he didn't look so over-matched anymore.

He was good in The Way Back, Horrible Bosses and Seven Psychopaths. Suddenly he was good again, like he was in his early roles when he wasn't asked to carry the film (I really liked him in Minority Report)

Reynolds needs to do the same. Find a good 'indy' style role where you can be a supporting actor with a couple of very good, veteran actors to carry the load for you. Smoking Aces, alongside Liota, Piven and Garcia gave him that kind of vehicle. Get your cache back and then sit out for a bit and wait for a really good part to come to you.

JD10367 07-24-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9830046)
Other than this, the only movie of his that I've seen is The Proposal, which I only watched because the wife wanted to see it. It was.... okay - tolerable for a romantic comedy, I guess, mainly because I like Sandra Bullock and she was almost kinda nude for a second.

FYP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6DJnFZhaxYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JD10367 07-24-2013 11:58 AM

As for Ryan Reynolds, I thought he was okay in "X Men Origins" and I'm in the minority that didn't mind "Green Lantern". But I first saw him in the TV series "Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place" (which also had a young Nathan Fillion in it) so I liked him in that. Haven't seen most of his films.

Frazod 07-24-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9831368)
FYP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6DJnFZhaxYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My name is frazod, and I approve of this post fix. :thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-24-2013 01:45 PM

Does anyone not like Reynolds?

mr. tegu 07-24-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9831603)
Does anyone not like Reynolds?

I really like him as an actor as well. I didn't realize he was in that TV show which I actually liked. The Proposal was actually prety dang good. Safe House was a movie I wanted to see but I just never got around to it because it just seemed like it was missing something for a thriller like that.

I don't know how the movie business works, but I am wondering if someone advises him on what roles to take. It seems like he has been in every type of movie there is (romantic comedy, comedy, action, whatever you call this movie, etc.) and isn't really focused on really cementing himself as a go to guy in any certain type of role. I guess it is cool that he plays many different roles and is in a wide variety of movies, but he just seems to pick the ones that are only going to end up being marginal hits at best.

Pepe Silvia 07-24-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 9831368)
FYP.

That was ****ing hilarious yet stunningly erotic.

RockChalk 07-25-2013 10:16 AM

This movie was awful.

Discuss Thrower 07-25-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 9830747)
I'm not a romantic movie type of guy but I can't help but like Just Friends. I've probably watched it five or six times...it's just funny.

You gave her a ... body shake?