ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Wade Boggs claims he drank 107 beers in a single day... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289966)

Stewie 01-15-2015 03:28 PM

Wade Boggs claims he drank 107 beers in a single day...

With over over 3,000 hits and a career batting average of .328, Wade Boggs was one of the greatest pure hitters in baseball history. Not as well-known is the crown Boggs holds as the game's greatest pure beer drinker. Legend has it that the Hall of Fame third baseman once drank 64 beers on a cross-country flight from Boston to Los Angeles.

Boggs only denies that the number was 64. He doesn't say if the real number was more or less, only that it was "a few Miller Lites." It may seem unbelievable to us mortals that one man could drink so many beers on a single cross-country flight, but a little digging will turn up plenty of information to support the legend. On a radio show interview, former relief pitcher Jeff Nelson said that Boggs absolutely would drink "50 or 60" beers on a cross-country flight, explaining that the tally would begin in the locker room before carrying over to the drive to the airport, the tarmac, layovers, and any other chance he got as the team was making their way from coast to coast. "It wasn't just an isolated incident," Nelson concluded. "He did it almost every time."

Last night, the topic came up again when Charlie Day stopped by The Tonight Show to discuss the new season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. In one episode, the gang tries to recreate Boggs's feat, and Boggs himself makes a cameo as part of a hallucination Charlie has when he's 30 beers deep. Day also claims that the stories about Boggs's drinking prowess are true, and that Boggs even told him that the actual number of beers he drank, the number he so smugly refused to divulge to Kornheiser, was 107.

Boggs went down on hookers, so who knows? Ha!

LoneWolf 01-15-2015 03:30 PM

Bullshit.

Lonewolf Ed 01-15-2015 03:30 PM

That many brews could have knocked Andre the Giant's dick in the dirt!

ptlyon 01-15-2015 03:30 PM

I can do that in half the time /eSurance

Dayze 01-15-2015 03:37 PM

bullshit.

gblowfish 01-15-2015 03:40 PM

If you consider that each beer was 12 ounces, which is a standard can or bottle of beer, that is over 10 gallons of beer, as there's 128 ounces in one gallon. That's a shit load of beer. Most American Kegs are 15.5 gallons. so he would have consumed about 2/3rds of a keg in one day. Also, assuming it was a light beer, light beer has about 100 calories in a 12 ounce serving. So that would be 10,700 calories in one day just for the beer and if he ate anything, those calories would be additional. About 1500 to 1800 calories are normal for a non-dieting average guy in a day. So, I think I'd have to say I've very skeptical about this claim.

KC native 01-15-2015 03:42 PM

The "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" episode with this last night was ****ing hilarious.

Demonpenz 01-15-2015 03:43 PM

Wade Boggs only hit a foul ball to the right side once in his career.

Katipan 01-15-2015 03:44 PM

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Just how far off do we think his claim is? We all know someone that can put away a case of beer. I'm sure more than a handful of us know someone that can put away 2. 3 or 4 can't be that far off.

Dayze 01-15-2015 03:44 PM

so what is a cross country flight?..4 hours? 5?
that's something like a beer every 3 minutes. LMAO

Riiiiiight.

KC native 01-15-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katipan (Post 11270925)
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Just how far off do we think his claim is? We all know someone that can put away a case of beer. I'm sure more than a handful of us know someone that can put away 2. 3 or 4 can't be that far off.

It was more likely that it was amphetamine fueled.

Katipan 01-15-2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11270926)

Riiiiiight.

They started the ticker in the locker room.

Amnorix 01-15-2015 03:46 PM

I remember a radio interview once -- years ago. The hosts were discussing this, and someone had mentioned the whole beer thing, and the legend of how many beers he drank on a cross-country flight.

So they called some baseball player that one of the hosts knew who had been a teammate of Boggs's once. One of the hosts of this show was an acquiatance of his and it genuinely sounded like this ex-teammate didn't expect this call. They didn't even explain WHY they were calling, they just said -- "hey, so, Wade Boggs -- you were his teammate right? How many beers would you say he drank when he flew cross-country"

And the ex-teammate was like "oh, damn, yeah, he could put them down. Like maybe a hundred? Seriously, I've never seen anyone else drink like he could drink."

FWIW

:shrug:

Katipan 01-15-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11270927)
It was more likely that it was amphetamine fueled.

No he ate a lot of chicken.

Amnorix 01-15-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 11270926)

Riiiiiight.

Boston to LA is six hours.