ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Let's talk about "true fans" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272743)

DaFace 05-03-2013 09:30 AM

Let's talk about "true fans"

Marcellus's thread was clearly a lot of attention whoring, but when it comes down to it, he has a point. The word "true fan" has become a catch-all for anyone who doesn't agree with a person on here about XXX player or XXX move that the Chiefs have made.

The issue I have with it is that it's increasingly become a straw man insult that doesn't even make sense. Discussion around here lately reminds me of discussions in D.C. where every issue has to be black and white and anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot. The reality is that there are opinions all over the spectrum and that nothing is ever black and white. I'd think there are at least five different categories of Chiefs fans these days:

1 - True "homers" who will cheer for the team and applaud every move they make unconditionally. These types almost don't even exist on ChiefsPlanet (though people like to act like they do). These are only a small portion of the Chiefs fanbase, and they look like this.

2 - Optimists who will always cheer for the Chiefs, but have a sense of realism about it. They probably cheered Cassel for the first few years, but reluctantly joined the SOC bandwagon last year when it was clear that there was just no hope in saving the team under Cassel.

3 - Fans who try to keep a balanced approach. They don't get too excited about drafting a RT at #1 or trading for Alex Smith, but they believe that it's likely the team will at least be improved this year if not dramatically so. Their approach is a "wait and see" reaction, though they'll be quick to criticize if things don't work out.

4 - Pessimists who are skeptical that the Chiefs are going to be competitive any time soon, but who do try and give the team some benefit of the doubt under the new leadership. They're probably not happy about Alex Smith being our QB, but are grudgingly willing to see what he can do.

5 - Total naysayers who have had it with the team for the past 40 years and will refuse to be optimistic until the Chiefs find some real success (playoff wins at a minimum, and Super Bowl contention ideally). They believe that the front office should be constantly scrutinized given that their predecessors were given a long leash and screwed it all up.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see where people would put themselves on the spectrum. It seems like most threads these days are battles between 5's and 1's, but I'd bet that those types are actually pretty rare around here. My dream would be that we can one day have discussions that are dominated by 2's, 3's, and 4's, but who knows if that can ever happen until the Chiefs start showing success.

Discus.

RealSNR 05-03-2013 09:36 AM

This thread exhibits all kinds of True Fan behavior.

Go drink your own anal leakage :)

DaFace 05-03-2013 09:36 AM

What would be REALLY interesting would be to have a poll where everyone could rate everyone else and see how self-perceptions and the perceptions of others compare, but that'd be too much work. I bet we'd see a lot of people are perceived as being much further toward the ends of the spectrum, though.

DaFace 05-03-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9654795)
This thread exhibits all kinds of True Fan behavior.

Go drink your own anal leakage :)

:Lin:

Bearcat 05-03-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9654785)
every issue has to be black and white and anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot.

I think that's always been true around here... people might be quicker to throw out a 'your an idiot' or the true fan label, but there's really never been much in between with most people when it comes to the big debates.

I think I've slowly slid from #2 in the 90s/early 2000s to at least 3, if not 4. It's hard to be optimistic when you see a team make the same mistakes again and again... and even when they take a step forward, it's not until after the sky has fallen, and it's usually followed by two steps back. I still have glimmers of hope... the thought of season tickets popped into my head after the regime change... but, I've taught myself to squash those thoughts, which sucks.

Bearcat 05-03-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9654796)
What would be REALLY interesting would be to have a poll where everyone could rate everyone else and see how self-perceptions and the perceptions of others compare, but that'd be too much work. I bet we'd see a lot of people are perceived as being much further toward the ends of the spectrum, though.

Rank the person who posted before you? That would be fun.

I'd rank Bearcat as a 3 or 4, but used to be a 2.

prhom 05-03-2013 09:43 AM

I think people are mobile between the categories. Some people maybe not, but in my case I move between them depending on how I perceive things. I'm currently at #5, but it has been a gradual decline over time starting with the Vermeil era. I briefly moved up to #4 after Pioli was fired, but am back at #5 after the offseason moves our new mgmt have made. I'd love to be a #3, but I need to have some faith restored in the Chiefs. Right now, all I know is that we have been made to look foolish week in and week out since Vermeil left, and even then our defense was a joke.

Valiant 05-03-2013 09:44 AM

You need to get rid of balanced and rename pessimist as realist.

Saul Good 05-03-2013 09:44 AM

This place is like a shitty stand-up comedian who thinks he's really smart and witty but isn't, so he masks it by doing the "perpetually pissed off guy" schtick.

Why people think ranting and raving makes them look like they know what they're talking about is beyond me.

DaFace 05-03-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9654811)
You need to get rid of balanced and rename pessimist as realist.

Perceived as: 5. :)

Saul Good 05-03-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9654804)
I think that's always been true around here... people might be quicker to throw out a 'your an idiot' or the true fan label, but there's really never been much in between with most people when it comes to the big debates.

I think I've slowly slid from #2 in the 90s/early 2000s to at least 3, if not 4. It's hard to be optimistic when you see a team make the same mistakes again and again... and even when they take a step forward, it's not until after the sky has fallen, and it's usually followed by two steps back. I still have glimmers of hope... the thought of season tickets popped into my head after the regime change... but, I've taught myself to squash those thoughts, which sucks.

It's just gotten worse and worse over time, though. Either every GM in the NFL is ignorant, or CP groupthink is ignorant.

mikey23545 05-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9654819)
It's just gotten worse and worse over time, though. Either every GM in the NFL is ignorant, or CP groupthink is ignorant.

The Franchise 05-03-2013 09:50 AM

I waiver between a 3 and a 4.

MTG#10 05-03-2013 09:50 AM

I was a homer when I was 8-12, then gradually started sliding down to the pessimist I am now. If this Smith/Reid/Dorsey experiment goes anything like Cassel/Haley/***** did I will be a full-fledged naysayer.

Kerberos 05-03-2013 09:50 AM

Simple... If you KNOW the Chiefs SUCK ASS at the present time but YOU Hope that NEW GM and NEW coach could turn our fortunes. (Expect the worse but hope for the best) Then you are balanced imo.