ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Why do British people talk like idiots? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287384)

RealSNR 10-12-2014 07:03 AM

Why do British people talk like idiots?

Yes, I know standard American English isn't perfect. And by "talk like idiots" I'm not talking about stupid people who speak English. I'm talking about how normally intelligent British people CHOOSE to talk like idiots.

For example, here's what one of my Facebook friends from London said in a status: "Gods, tonight's 'Doctor Who' was patchy twaddle."

Patchy twaddle, eh? I'm pretty sure you just made that crap up, as if there aren't hundreds of words you could use to mean "bad." It's the words they choose, as well. They seem to fancy themselves as a literary culture, so they choose words that sound fun. All the baby talk crap we use in Standard American English like "wibbly-wobbly" and "bibbity-boppity" had to have come from the brains of these ****ing weirdos.

And yes, I'm aware that Shakespeare invented hundreds of words used by all speakers of English to this very day. But I don't think he went around using all the new words he invented on the street. They were adapted into the daily use over time.

They didn't zoomy-woomy so quackadilly that before they could say "Bob's your uncle!" that people couldn't bloody cochleante a blimey word they was articulating!

cabletech94 10-12-2014 07:10 AM

2 words:

PEYTON MANNING.

or

POOP TACO.

FISH 'N CHIPS.

Simply Red 10-12-2014 07:13 AM

just some old school English touches. Sometimes they're adding their slang words to a speaking moment.

But overall-->

I actually think they speak better English than the USA - no offense SNR - I certainly get what you're saying w/ their unorthodox style and some additions that make you say 'WTF does that even mean??!!'

But IMO their language is more complete than the English of the USA and more efficient.

TLO 10-12-2014 07:15 AM

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I always think the guys on Top Gear say some funny stuff. I like how they use the word cock more often then we do.

Bugeater 10-12-2014 07:17 AM

Well, it's pretty simple...they're all flaming homosexuals.

cabletech94 10-12-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11007482)
just some old school English touches. Sometimes they're adding their slang words to a speaking moment.

But overall-->

I actually think they speak better English than the USA - no offense SNR - I certainly get what you're saying w/ their unorthodox style and some additions that make you say 'WTF does that even mean??!!'

But IMO their language is more complete than the English of the USA and more efficient.

pffffffft.

WANKER!!!!!

;)

Direckshun 10-12-2014 07:25 AM

This thread is one sticky wicket.

RealSNR 10-12-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11007482)

But overall-->

They're more willing to use words we would not often use in the vernacular. I agree.

But I don't think they're more efficient at all.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 07:28 AM

The only one the truly befuddles me is pronouncing aluminum 'Al-U-Minny-um.'

I guess they hang their hats on the periodic nomenclature, Thorium, Rhobidium, Plutonium, etc.

TLO 10-12-2014 07:39 AM

I filled up today for 45 quid.

Hangovers last a forknight when you get old.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11007507)
I filled up today for 45 quid.

Hangovers last a forknight when you get old.

http://adaptershack.com/m/files/img4...eifserious.gif

Quote:

fort·night
ˈfôrtˌnīt/Submit
nounBRITISH
noun: fortnight; plural noun: fortnights
a period of two weeks.
informal
used after the name of a day to indicate that something will take place two weeks after that day.

Dunerdr 10-12-2014 07:43 AM

Chalupa batman...

TLO 10-12-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11007510)

Whoops. Fortnight.;)

TLO 10-12-2014 07:46 AM

We need Donger.

Silly twat.

Baby Lee 10-12-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 11007514)
We need Donger.

Silly twat.

We'd have a great deal more **** talk around here if he were in charge.