ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Ouch: PFW Evaluates Geno, Barkley (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271664)

RealSNR 04-03-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9555432)
Seattle got horrible "value" in Bruce Irvin, Wagner, and Wilson. LMAO

I think everybody said Bruce Irvin was a weird ****ing pick.

I liked Bruce Irvin a lot and thought he'd go in the middle of the 2nd or so. I did not in the least anticipate him to go in the middle 1st, though.

penbrook 04-03-2013 11:25 PM

Per Jim Corbett

Geno Smith will visit Buffalo Bills next after Wednesday spent with Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles following a very good visit with K.C. Chiefs

Sorter 04-03-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9555449)
I think everybody said Bruce Irvin was a weird ****ing pick.

I liked Bruce Irvin a lot and thought he'd go in the middle of the 2nd or so. I did not in the least anticipate him to go in the middle 1st, though.

I thought he was a late 1st-early 2nd closer to the draft.

But still, horrible value to draft a competent pass rusher at 14. Horrible value.

Dylan 04-04-2013 12:51 AM

One wonders what sources the writer could have to accurately arrive at some scathing and oddly personal conclusions. Let Nawrocki put a name to such claims. Then we have news –

Moreover, keep in mind if this blogger had any journalistic integrity he would have said, “Numerous sources ….” This way he takes it out of his hands as being the writer who has an extreme view of a player’s personality - Just keep in mind, Pro Football Weekly has to sell draft publications.

J.C. what a rip job.

penbrook 04-04-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan (Post 9555488)
One wonders what sources the writer could have to accurately arrive at some scathing and oddly personal conclusions. Let Nawrocki put a name to such claims. Then we have news –

Moreover, keep in mind if this blogger had any journalistic integrity he would have said, “Numerous sources ….” This way he takes it out of his hands as being the writer who has an extreme view of a player’s personality - Just keep in mind, Pro Football Weekly has to sell draft publications.

J.C. what a rip job.

Per Jim Corbett

Geno Smith will visit Buffalo Bills next after Wednesday spent with Chip Kelly's Philadelphia Eagles following a very good visit with K.C. Chiefs

patteeu 04-04-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9555031)
Ok, so ripping someone's character when you've never met them is acceptable analysis to you? Nolan got ridiculed for it then, and he's being ridiculed for it now.

Of course it is. If you have sources who you believe telling you that the guy has character flaws, of course you include it in your analysis.

Quote:

LMAO at the height comment. Wow......"hey they're the same height! Geno is on the road to bust city"

You said he shared "nothing in common" with Akili Smith other than last name and skin color. You may not realize it, but height is actually a factor in QB evaluations and it happened to be obvious proof that your superficial take was bullshit. It's not the only similarity. As I said before, they both relied more on their arm than on their legs, but they were athletic enough that they weren't statues. They both had strong arms. And there's also the work ethic thing. How many similarities does it take before you can start looking past the color of their skin? What high profile bust would have been a better comparison for Geno Smith in your opinion?

Quote:

And it's a pretty far stretch to say he was right about RGII and Cam. He's was right about some stuff, wrong about others. Hell, he's right about some stuff on the Geno analysis imo.

It's not a stretch at all. His criticisms of Cam Newton and RGIII have all been vindicated by reality.

Quote:

His harsh criticisms about his work ethic and character don't seem to jive. Basically declaring him a bust and a collegiate fraud before even stepping onto the field is insane.

You are welcome to have your own opinion, but just because his doesn't jive with yours doesn't make him racist. And scouting reports are supposed to predict what kind of player the prospect is going to be before they ever step onto the field. That's what a scouting report is. WTF? It's hard to take you seriously when you say things like that.

patteeu 04-04-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9555418)
He'd probably still tell us to take one of these tackles.

The dude is a ****ing psycho about this position. At least when it comes to Kansas City. It's like he can't think of anything better to give us.

If we had 10 LTs, Matt Cassel could have just walked the ball into the endzone.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 09:39 AM

Peter Kings take

I think around this time of year, everyone has an opinion, and for an analyst like Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki to be highly critical of Geno Smith ("Not a student of the game, not committed or focused") is not surprising. Understand one thing: People like Nawrocki are not making this up. NFL scouts talk to people studying the draft, and they have opinions, and they understand that the analysts are going to put the opinions in their own words. Now, is Smith a bad student, or not focused? Not from what I have heard. But I probably haven't spoken to the same people Nawrocki has.

I've heard Smith is a bit reserved, not a great leader and an average decision-maker. But I've also heard he's a good worker, a smart player who puts in the time, fast, with a very good arm. Understand this: No NFL scout is going to take what Nolan Nawrocki thinks or writes to the bank. Could the team choosing him go back and do some extra homework on him after reading that? Maybe. But let's say Buffalo is considering Smith at No. 8. Do you think GM Buddy Nix is taking shortcuts on the eighth pick in the draft, and do you think coach Doug Marrone would take Smith, upon whose shoulders his future as an NFL head coach will depend, without doing full due diligence?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Pt2iMwVm

Mayocks take on Geno:

"He has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness ... 30, 32 fumbles in his career ... five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There is no internal clock, there is no feel. Deep ball accuracy, I've put reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns; wide-open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew.

The more tape I watch -- and this is common of a lot of talented, big-arm quarterbacks -- he stares down receivers and he throws the football late. So there is a lack of anticipation and timing. Now, having said all of those things, I recognize the big arm, the athletic ability; he's a great athlete, he's a natural thrower of the football. I just don't see it enough on tape. I couldn't take him in the top 10, I don't think I could take him in the top 20. This entire quarterback class on tape frustrates me."

-- Mike Mayock, the NFL Network analyst, on West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2Pt2tOpap

The Franchise 04-08-2013 09:48 AM

Mayock: I see four quarterbacks with first-round ability but I have not figured them out yet. I need a lot more work on Ryan Mallett. He makes too many mistakes in the pocket. Cam Newton is just this awesome talent who is further along from a mechanical perspective than Tim Tebow or Vince Young, but I don't know if he is a top-10 pick right now. I've seen four of his game tapes. I need to see six more game tapes and figure the kid out. What kind of work ethic does he have? Will he be the first one in the building?

Blaine Gabbert might be most gifted quarterback in this draft. He might be the next Sam Bradford. On the other hand, he might be the next Alex Smith. At this point, I caution people. I gave out my top-five list, but this week is when I'll review all the Senior Bowl tape and more junior tape. These lists will change and get updated. Ultimately, when we get through the combine and these players get taken off boards because the teams have told me something, then my board starts to mean something. Right now, it is like a crossword puzzle. I'm mixing pieces in and out.

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9567756)
Mayock: I see four quarterbacks with first-round ability but I have not figured them out yet. I need a lot more work on Ryan Mallett. He makes too many mistakes in the pocket. Cam Newton is just this awesome talent who is further along from a mechanical perspective than Tim Tebow or Vince Young, but I don't know if he is a top-10 pick right now. I've seen four of his game tapes. I need to see six more game tapes and figure the kid out. What kind of work ethic does he have? Will he be the first one in the building?

Blaine Gabbert might be most gifted quarterback in this draft. He might be the next Sam Bradford. On the other hand, he might be the next Alex Smith. At this point, I caution people. I gave out my top-five list, but this week is when I'll review all the Senior Bowl tape and more junior tape. These lists will change and get updated. Ultimately, when we get through the combine and these players get taken off boards because the teams have told me something, then my board starts to mean something. Right now, it is like a crossword puzzle. I'm mixing pieces in and out.

ROFL Nice find. Basically, its all just a crapshoot.

patteeu 04-08-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9567756)

That was a January Mayock take so it's not really comparable to his April take on Geno Smith.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-08-2013 11:13 AM

Yeah, I,m gonna' trust what I see, and **** these guys altogether. Thx!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just Passin' By 04-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9555430)
As previously stated to the extent of nausea, "draft value" is not only silly but doesn't apply to QBs.

It applies to every player.

Quote:

For example, the 49ers got great "value" with Kaepernick by Mayock's definition. However, if a team had selected him in the top 15, it would have been poor value in his eyes.

It's pretty basic stuff. You want to draft your chosen players without spending more draft capital than necessary to do so. The Bradys, Kaepernicks, Montana's et al of the world don't change that. They reinforce it.

Quote:

Additionally, I don't really care what Mayock says about QBs. I do enjoy his analysis of DBs though.

Whatever floats your boat