ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bob Costas on the future of football: 'This game destroys people's brains' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311411)

DanT 11-08-2017 07:01 PM

Bob Costas on the future of football: 'This game destroys people's brains'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ins/842904001/

Quote from top of article:
Quote:

Originally Posted by USA Today article
As far as longtime sports broadcaster Bob Costas is concerned, the future of football in the United States is clear — and bleak.

“The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains," he said Tuesday night.

Speaking at a roundtable discussion at the University of Maryland, Costas, who hosted Football Night in America on NBC for more than a decade, said the sport could collapse over time, barring a development in technology to make it reasonably safe. He said the decline of football, which was once “a cash machine,” is the most significant story in American sports.

“The cracks in the foundation are there,” Costas said. “The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.”

Rain Man 11-08-2017 07:02 PM

Watching the Herm years messed mine up.

DanT 11-08-2017 07:07 PM

It's kind of sad that some people don't see the appeal of a game that packs less than 60 minutes of action into 3.5 hours of TV, with referees throwing flags all over the field, except on scoring plays that are eventually overturned on review, all run by owners that demand taxpayers build them facilities. Sure, it can result in long-term brain damage along with other chronic diseases that take away your life expectancy, but what a game, huh!

Frazod 11-08-2017 07:08 PM

Jesus, this ****ing cuck needs to be fired by NBC yesterday.

aces and eights 11-08-2017 07:12 PM

Pussification is ruining the game. I miss LT knocking ppl out, and head hunting safeties. I played from the second grade through high school. Now what was I saying?

bdj23 11-08-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 13207132)
It's kind of sad that some people don't see the appeal of a game that packs less than 60 minutes of action into 3.5 hours of TV, with referees throwing flags all over the field, except on scoring plays that are eventually overturned on review, all run by owners that demand taxpayers build them facilities. Sure, it can result in long-term brain damage along with other chronic diseases that take away your life expectancy, but what a game, huh!

All while our favorite team never wins us a Super Bowl.

jaa1025 11-08-2017 07:23 PM

Go back to the leather helmets and people won't be using their helmets to tackle.

srvy 11-08-2017 07:23 PM

Anyone remember when Bob did NFL games. Yep he has a point as it fried his.

notorious 11-08-2017 07:30 PM

Listen to former players that are now "experts" and it's obvious.

DanT 11-08-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13207142)
All while our favorite team never wins us a Super Bowl.

49 years and counting to our next one...any day now!

Jamie 11-08-2017 07:39 PM

I think if you're able to look at the situation objectively it's been pretty clear for a while that football's days are numbered. Once they can reliably test for CTE in living people it will start a spiral at the end of which football will either not exist or be a fundamentally different game. I'm not saying it'll happen tomorrow or next year, but if it doesn't happen within 20 years I'll be surprised.

hometeam 11-08-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 13207171)
I think if you're able to look at the situation objectively it's been pretty clear for a while that football's days are numbered. Once they can reliably test for CTE in living people it will start a spiral at the end of which football will either not exist or be a fundamentally different game. I'm not saying it'll happen tomorrow or next year, but if it doesn't happen within 20 years I'll be surprised.

Or maybe, if we are lucky, we will return to an age of personal responsibility. That would be neat.

TLO 11-08-2017 07:45 PM

I'd destroy my brain too to become an NFL caliber athlete. (So would most people, I'm guessing).

carcosa 11-08-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 13207173)
Or maybe, if we are lucky, we will return to an age of personal responsibility. That would be neat.

Do you think more personal responsibility is going to save football somehow?

crayzkirk 11-08-2017 07:51 PM

Is it just me or does the NFL Network only show Chiefs games when they lose? Geez, the Chiefs played like absolute garbage against the Cowboys.

Hey, NFL... When do the Chiefs get to win one? Yeah, I know... Boo Hoo.