ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Best Recent British TV Dramas (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259310)

Buck 05-07-2012 10:55 PM

Best Recent British TV Dramas

It would be ignorant for me to say I've run out of US dramas to watch, but I've probably knocked out at least 30 full series the last 5 years. I am sitting here watching Sherlock, series 1, episode 3 and I'm just amazed. I never really have given British TV a go, except for a show called Survivors, which I thought was very good.

Please recommend your top British TV dramas from the 2000s or later. I look forward to expanding my TV watching horizons.

mnchiefsguy 05-07-2012 11:06 PM

Sherlock is very, very good. There is a second series of three available as well.

The BBC also did a very good Robin Hood Series. That one went four seasons I believe. At least the first couple are available on DVD/Blu-ray.

Scott Pilgrim 05-07-2012 11:19 PM

The obvious answer is Doctor Who

Reaper16 05-07-2012 11:36 PM

Sherlock, for me.

Reaper16 05-07-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8601099)
Sherlock, for me.

And I haven't gotten around to Downton Abbey yet. I am ashamed of this.

mnchiefsguy 05-07-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8601099)
Sherlock, for me.

It sucks that we won't see any new Sherlock for at least a year.

chrisanna 05-08-2012 03:41 AM

That one went four seasons I believe.

KC_Connection 05-08-2012 04:12 AM

The second series of Sherlock may even be better than the first. Great writing in that show.

mnchiefsguy 05-08-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8601219)
The second series of Sherlock may even be better than the first. Great writing in that show.

Agreed. When I first heard of the concept, I was wary of an attempt to update Sherlock Holmes into the 21st century...but the creators of Sherlock did an outstanding job of bringing Sherlock forward, while keeping the essence of Sherlock Holmes pure.

I wish we were getting another season of Sherlock this fall, instead of the CBS version (I forget what they are calling it) with Lucy Liu as Watson. My gut tells me that version is going to suck donkey balls.

Fritz88 05-08-2012 02:52 PM

When I was in London I saw an ad about a TV show of three humans with superpowers, a werewolf, a ghost, and another character I forgot about. I tried searching but I couldn't figure it out.

If you are in for some comedy, then you can't go wrong with Extras and The Office.

Good British movies? Get Pretty much anything for Guy Richie.

BBC Drama is a good source. You can list TV shows by ratings, etc.

Buck 05-08-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8602328)
When I was in London I saw an ad about a TV show of three humans with superpowers, a werewolf, a ghost, and another character I forgot about. I tried searching but I couldn't figure it out.

If you are in for some comedy, then you can't go wrong with Extras and The Office.

Good British movies? Get Pretty much anything for Guy Richie.

BBC Drama is a good source. You can list TV shows by ratings, etc.

The first one is called Being Human.

Ice seen plenty of British Comedy. Not really what I'm looking for.

vailpass 05-08-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8602328)

Being Human. Meh.

*edit* Buck got there first

Buck 05-08-2012 08:37 PM

Not much activity in this thread, but I've been asking around and here are some other shows that have been recommended.

-Misfits
-Spooks
-Dr. Who
-Torchwood
-Luther
-Jekyll
-Merlin
-Hustle
-Life on Mars
-Being Human
-The Street
-Downton Abbey

Miles 05-08-2012 09:28 PM

Some of my favorites:

State of Play (highly recommend this mini-series)
The Shadow Line
Luther (Stars Stringer Bell. First series is better than the second.)
The Hour
Downton Abbey
Life on Mars
Jekyll (from Steven Moffat who is also responsible for some of the new Sherlock and wrote some of the strongest Dr. Who episodes)
Dr. Who (can be fairly hit or miss but the peaks are worth it)
Spooks
Inbetweeners

Sucky 05-08-2012 11:06 PM

I need to see Misfits & Luther.

Also, yeah Sherlock is pretty dope.