ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sporting KC ** 2013 Sporting Kansas City / Soccer Thread ** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267316)

|Zach| 12-10-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan (Post 9198964)
Supposedly an announcement Tuesday at 2 pm. Argentinian that plays in Spain....:thumb:

Zach you hearing this as well? Heck a buddy texted me this that follows your tweets so it was likely you that said it....

Not quite but close. Check your rep.

RockChalk 12-11-2012 02:17 PM

Just saw this on Twitter....

Quote:

@SportingKC: NEWS: #SportingKC acquires midfielder Benny Feilhaber from the New England Revolution

|Zach| 12-11-2012 02:18 PM

Big move.

Sporting KC acquires midfielder Benny Feilhaber

SKC trades draft picks, allocation money for 27-year-old playmaker

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kans.../146938506.jpg

Sporting Kansas City acquired midfielder Benny Feilhaber from the New England Revolution on Tuesday in exchange for allocation money, Sporting KC’s natural first round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, and natural second round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. The 27-year old playmaker has been added to Sporting Kansas City’s roster and will occupy a senior roster spot.

“Benny is an excellent two-way, box-to-box midfielder who has tremendous ability, especially with the final pass,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “His experience with the US National Team programs and playing overseas will serve him well in our system.”

“I am really excited to come to Sporting Kansas City,” Feilhaber said. “It is a top-class organization and team in Major League Soccer. My goal is to help the team however I can. I cannot wait to play in the best stadium in the League and in front of a great fan base. I am already hyped for the first home game.”

Feilhaber has made 39 appearances for the United States Men’s National Team, debuting in 2007 and recording an assist and game-winning goal in his third cap at the international level. He went on to start four of his five appearances at the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup, including the championship match against Mexico. He scored the game-winning goal on a volley from 22 yards out which was later voted U.S. Soccer’s Best Goal of the year. His breakout year continued with two starts at the 2007 CONMEBOL Copa America against Argentina and Paraguay.

In 2008, Feilhaber represented the United States at the Summer Olympics in China and appeared in all three games for the U.S. under-23 squad. The tournament marked his second major international tournament at the youth level, following his strong showing at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship with the United States under-20 team in Holland. He started all four games and was named one of the tournament’s most impressive group stage performers as he helped the U.S. finish atop world powers Argentina, Germany and Egypt. He played 16 games for the United States Under-20 National Team in 2005 and was named US Soccer’s Young Male Athlete of the Year.

He continued to be a key contributor for the United States on the national team’s biggest stages and was the only player to appear in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup. He appeared in all five of the United States matches at the 2009 Confederations Cup, helping set up Clint Dempsey’s goal in the team’s historic 2-0 win over No. 1 Spain in the semifinals and starting against Brazil in the United States first ever final in a major FIFA tournament.

Having played a pivotal part with six appearances in the United States final round of qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Feilhaber returned to South Africa as part of the United States World Cup squad. He made three appearances at the 2010 FIFA World Cup to help the United States win their group over favorites England and advance to the Round of 16.

Most recently, Feilhaber took the field for the United States National Team alongside current Sporting Kansas City teammates Teal Bunbury, C.J. Sapong and Graham Zusi in a 1-0 victory over Venezuela in January. He also played previously with Jacob Peterson and Bobby Convey for the United States at the international level.

At the club level, Feilhaber made 52 appearances for the Revolution over the last two seasons with five goals and nine assists. Prior to signing with MLS in April 2011, Feilhaber played professionally in the Danish SuperLiga, Germany’s Bundesliga and the English Premier League.

His career started in Germany with Hamburger SV, where he debuted in 2006 and went on to make nine appearances. He then signed for the English Premier League’s Derby County FC in August 2007 and saw action in 10 games. Feilhaber’s final stint abroad came from 2008-2011 in Denmark with AGF Aarhus, where he scored five goals in 54 appearances.

Feilhaber was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and moved to the United States at age six. He walked on at UCLA and recorded seven goals and four assists in 36 games over two seasons for the Bruins.

On Saturday, Feilhaber will marry his fiancée Michele Allred in a ceremony in California.

VITALS
Benny Feilhaber (FAIL-hob-ber)
Position: Midfielder
Number: 10
Height: 5-9
Weight: 160
Born: 1/19/1985
Birthplace: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hometown: Irvine, Calif.
Nationality: USA
Last Club: New England Revolution (MLS)
Twitter: @b_feilhaber22

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City acquires midfielder Benny Feilhaber from the New England Revolution in exchange for allocation money, Sporting KC’s natural first round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft and natural second round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft.

Reaper16 12-11-2012 02:26 PM

This doesn't make KC beat Houston, IMO. This team still needs a goalscorer.

Thankfully, I know the front office knows this.

RockChalk 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

Bukaty tweeted yesterday that there was some good news about Besler likely coming out in the next few days. Anything like this popping up on your radar, Zach?

|Zach| 12-11-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 9200050)
Bukaty tweeted yesterday that there was some good news about Besler likely coming out in the next few days. Anything like this popping up on your radar, Zach?

I am hearing Besler is close to signing with SKC...also expect the announcement of a DP forward signing on the 17th.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9200041)
This doesn't make KC beat Houston, IMO. This team still needs a goalscorer.

Thankfully, I know the front office knows this.

It is interesting in that the way SKC attacks this year is going to be a lot more direct IMO.

Reaper16 12-11-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200053)
It is interesting in that the way SKC attacks this year is going to be a lot more direct IMO.

Doesn't that take away from Uri's skillset a bit (stemming from his Barca system upbringing)?

Nevertheless, Benny will be a bang-up replacement for Espinoza.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9200071)
Doesn't that take away from Uri's skillset a bit (stemming from his Barca system upbringing)?

Nevertheless, Benny will be a bang-up replacement for Espinoza.

How do you figure? It is going to require more passing and more creativity.

Reaper16 12-11-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200088)
How do you figure? It is going to require more passing and more creativity.

I might have misunderstood what you meant by "direct." I took it to mean getting away from a largely possession-based approach (not that SKC was exactly playing tiki-taka, but still).

Jerm 12-11-2012 03:11 PM

Curious to who the DP Forward signing will be.....

Trying to come up with a name or two...

|Zach| 12-11-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9200120)
I might have misunderstood what you meant by "direct." I took it to mean getting away from a largely possession-based approach (not that SKC was exactly playing tiki-taka, but still).

Going at defenders more instead of purely relying on dumping it into the box from the wings. Like Bravo would do last year. Attack defenses head on more.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 9200135)
Curious to who the DP Forward signing will be.....

Trying to come up with a name or two...

You won't know the name. Its not a superstar. But will be a good player for us.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-11-2012 03:27 PM

woah, that Benny signing is a very big get for SKC. Can't wait to hear the news on the forward.

Reaper16 12-11-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200180)
Going at defenders more instead of purely relying on dumping it into the box from the wings. Like Bravo would do last year. Attack defenses head on more.

Ah. That would help. Benny certainly helps SKC's flexibility to be able to do that, and you're right -- Uri would play nicely into an offense that needs the tight passing to pull that off.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-11-2012 03:32 PM

The only thing about Uri that scares me is his slender build, and whether or not he can take the beating that is the MLS. It's a rough league.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 04:29 PM

"I cannot wait to play in the best stadium in the league and in front of a great fan base. I am already hyped for the first home game. I wanted to go to the best soccer city possible, Kansas City was that." - Benny Feilhaber

Superbowltrashcan 12-11-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9200216)
The only thing about Uri that scares me is his slender build, and whether or not he can take the beating that is the MLS. It's a rough league.

He is listed anywhere from 5'10" to 6'0"" and will likely fill out between now and next campaign....

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-11-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbowltrashcan (Post 9200442)
He is listed anywhere from 5'10" to 6'0"" and will likely fill out between now and next campaign....

Thanks for that, I guess. :drool:

He's still, very slender and comes from a fluid european league. I hope he's able to adjust to the brutal physicality of the MLS, cause the guy is oozing skill.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9200216)

One thing people don't know about SKC and I think a big reason for their strong showings lately is their fitness coach. They have an incredible strength and conditioning coach.

http://www.sportingkc.com/club/mateus-manoel

Jerm 12-11-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200185)
You won't know the name. Its not a superstar. But will be a good player for us.

If its Claudio Bieler I agree...

Spicy McHaggis 12-11-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200460)
One thing people don't know about SKC and I think a big reason for their strong showings lately is their fitness coach. They have an incredible strength and conditioning coach.

http://www.sportingkc.com/club/mateus-manoel

Look at Besler when he came in vs. now. Night and day. Some of that is natural maturation, but a lot of it is Besler's hard work in the strength program.

memyselfI 12-11-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9200191)
woah, that Benny signing is a very big get for SKC. Can't wait to hear the news on the forward.

He's pretty smokin hot. Definite eye candy for the ladies in the SKC crowd. Not that we don't love all of the players...we do!!!!

memyselfI 12-11-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9200052)
I am hearing Besler is close to signing with SKC...also expect the announcement of a DP forward signing on the 17th.

Yipee. I'd be seriously depressed if we lost Besler.

Silock 12-11-2012 07:53 PM

Not that enthused about Feilhaber, TBH. We'll see.

Superbowltrashcan 12-11-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9200878)

Why not? In some ways he is just what is needed to free up Zusi to move out and up. Plus the depth needed to do Champions League can't be overstated.

MahiMike 12-11-2012 09:38 PM

They lost a lot of guys. At least there's one team in town that's a winner.

SPATCH 12-11-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9200878)

I feel like he's still quality.

His transfer to Derby County (complete disaster) really derailed his career; but he stands a good shot to regain his 2008-2009 form within a stable, player-friendly environment like we have at SKC.

Good move, imo.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 9200540)
Look at Besler when he came in vs. now. Night and day. Some of that is natural maturation, but a lot of it is Besler's hard work in the strength program.

Besler is just a stand up person. Just one hell of a guy on top of being a talented player. They don't make em like Matt Besler anymore.

|Zach| 12-11-2012 10:06 PM

Robb has indicated there will be two more moves tomorrow.

ArrowheadHawk 12-12-2012 06:46 AM

Sporting getting shot done.

|Zach| 12-12-2012 09:39 AM

Sporting Kansas City announced Wednesday that defender Matt Besler has signed a new contract with the club. Per team policy, terms of the agreement will not be disclosed.

"Kansas City is my home. This organization is fantastic, I love all my teammates and the fans are the best around," Besler said. "My goal to help bring championships to Kansas City has never wavered and I am ecstatic to re-sign with the club. I promise to continue to work hard and serve this team and community through my actions on and off the field."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...28541173_n.jpg

|Zach| 12-12-2012 09:56 AM

Besler passed on offers from Queens Park Rangers, Birmingham City, and KAA Gent to stay with Sporting KC.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-12-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9202076)
Besler passed on offers from Queens Park Rangers, Birmingham City, and KAA Gent to stay with Sporting KC.

woah.

Silock 12-12-2012 12:07 PM

Wow! That's pretty crazy. I'd have gone to QPR in a second. Better than Wigan for Roger!

SPATCH 12-12-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9202272)
woah.

Double whoa, dewd

CHENZ A! 12-12-2012 12:17 PM

I know it's still a rumor at this point, but anyone know anything about Claudio Bieler? He doesn't look that big. Maybe Bravo's height, but a little heavier. Is he pretty fast? Strengths/weaknesses?

Besler is awesome, glad we got it done.

Demonpenz 12-12-2012 12:30 PM

why doesn't besler have a wireless mouse? Robb's being cheap again!

Superbowltrashcan 12-12-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9202527)
why doesn't besler have a wireless mouse? Robb's being cheap again!

Thought the same thing being funny as well...

Then my brother says most folks with laptops prefer wired mice to cut down on bluetooth interference from others nearby. No experience with this but it seems reasonable enough...:hmmm:

Demonpenz 12-12-2012 01:08 PM

I would love to be besler right now, One call and he could get a sporting burger brought to him

CHENZ A! 12-12-2012 03:06 PM

Ultra Peanut - tell us what you know about Ike Opara, please. He any good? Sad to see him go?

|Zach| 12-12-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9202467)
Wow! That's pretty crazy. I'd have gone to QPR in a second. Better than Wigan for Roger!

You ever hear anything about Tim Ream anymore?

Me either. Money is the only reason to languish at the bottom of some shitty EPL club.

WoodDraw 12-12-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9203347)

Me either. Money is the only reason to languish at the bottom of some shitty EPL club.

That got me to look up how Bolton is doing... Ouch. Closer to relegation than to promotion. That club has had a rough few years.

Going abroad is a rough decision for everyone. I tend to agree though. If it's not a good situation you're moving into, it's best to stay in your domestic league where everyone knows you.

|Zach| 12-12-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9203406)
That got me to look up how Bolton is doing... Ouch. Closer to relegation than to promotion. That club has had a rough few years.

Going abroad is a rough decision for everyone. I tend to agree though. If it's not a good situation you're moving into, it's best to stay in your domestic league where everyone knows you.

Especially in Matt's case I would say. If you can go to the next level in Europe then great but some Eurosnobs act like Matt should be happy to suck the dick of the EPL gods just to be relegated by some shitty club or even worse be on the bench because most of those coaches change every week.

Silock 12-12-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

QPR won't be languishing at the bottom of the table forever, though. They have that oil money ownership. They're just not as cash crazy as Abramovich or City's owners.

|Zach| 12-12-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9203434)
QPR won't be languishing at the bottom of the table forever, though. They have that oil money ownership. They're just not as cash crazy as Abramovich or City's owners.

They will be at the top of the Championship maybe?

Spicy McHaggis 12-12-2012 08:18 PM

Opara for a second round pick. Vermes and Co. killing it. If he stays healthy that's a steal.

Silock 12-12-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9203438)
They will be at the top of the Championship maybe?

If they do, it won't be for long. The owners are too ambitious and have too much money in the club already for that to be acceptable. Look at where they were just a few seasons ago.

|Zach| 12-13-2012 01:33 AM

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/leagu...02/Disney1.jpg

The schedule has been announced for the 2013 Disney Pro Soccer Classic, which will open with a matchup between the Columbus Crew and Toronto FC on Saturday, February 9 (see full schedule below).

Six MLS sides – Columbus, Sporting Kansas City, Toronto, Philadelphia, Montreal and D.C. United – will participate in the tournament, as well as Orlando City Soccer Club (USL) and the Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL). The teams will be divided into two groups, with each side playing three games before a final day to decide first, second, third and fourth place.

Group A will consist of Orlando City, Philadelphia, Toronto and Columbus. Teams in Group B will include the Tampa Bay Rowdies, D.C. United, Montreal and Sporting KC.

All games will be played at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World.

Saturday – February 9, 2013

1 pm: Columbus Crew vs. Toronto FC

3 pm: Montreal Impact vs. Sporting Kansas City

6 pm: Orlando City Soccer Club vs. Philadelphia Union

8 pm: D.C. United vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies

Wednesday – February 13, 2013

1 pm: Philadelphia Union vs. Columbus Crew

3 pm: Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Montreal Impact

6 pm: Sporting Kansas City vs. D.C. United

8 pm: Toronto FC vs. Orlando City Soccer Club

Saturday – February 16, 2013

1 pm: Montreal Impact vs. D.C. United

3 pm: Philadelphia Union vs. Toronto FC

6 pm: Orlando City Soccer Club vs. Columbus Crew

8 pm: Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. Sporting Kansas City

Pro Soccer Classic Championship Day

Saturday – February 23, 2013

1 pm: Group A Fourth Place vs. Group B Fourth Place

3 pm: Group A Third Place vs. Group B Third Place

6 pm: Group A Second Place vs. Group B Second Place

8 pm: Group A First Place vs. Group B First Place

|Zach| 12-13-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9203765)
If they do, it won't be for long. The owners are too ambitious and have too much money in the club already for that to be acceptable. Look at where they were just a few seasons ago.

Meh, if they doubled their point total right now they would not be out of the relegation zone.

Silock 12-13-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9204189)
Meh, if they doubled their point total right now they would not be out of the relegation zone.

That doesn't change anything about what I said.

|Zach| 12-13-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9204193)
That doesn't change anything about what I said.

You are saying they would get back to...the place they are now...where they are failing.

So basically even though they are in the top league...and failing...if they went down to the Champ league they would spend a bunch of money to get back to the top league...

Why are they not doing good now?

Did you see this doc on them? That organization is clown shoes. Just spending money only goes so far...you have to be smart as well. See NYRB as opposed tot the successful Galaxy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R5xAmAjZ1mY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why would Matt Besler want to play there except for money.

WoodDraw 12-13-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9204199)

They decided to employ Mark Hughes?

People can talk shit about money, but for a player that has a short career, it matters. A player in the Premier league will make in a month or two what he'll get paid the entire season in MLS. And if it doesn't work out, you can always come home. Plus the chance to play in London? That'd be hard to turn down...

I somewhat doubt the story, tbh. I think he'd have serious work permit problems.

[edit]

For reference, he makes around $100,000 a year at SKC right now. At QPR, he'd be on what, around 15,000 pounds a week? Plus a guaranteed contract. I know you have to factor in taxes and cost of living, but that would tempt anyone.

|Zach| 12-13-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9204204)
They decided to employ Mark Hughes?

People can talk shit about money, but for a player that has a short career, it matters. A player in the Premier league will make in a month or two what he'll get paid the entire season in MLS. And if it doesn't work out, you can always come home. Plus the chance to play in London? That'd be hard to turn down...

I somewhat doubt the story, tbh. I think he'd have serious work permit problems.

Yea I absolutely concede money...I am not trying to discount that at all but I am not buying it other than that. Great team...great facilities...on the USMNT radar not going to get shuffled around or politico'd out.

WoodDraw 12-13-2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9204207)
Yea I absolutely concede money...I am not trying to discount that at all but I am not buying it other than that. Great team...great facilities...on the USMNT radar not going to get shuffled around or politico'd out.

Oh, I agree. The biggest problem with a player like him going to England is no one knows him. A manager that is there right now buys him, but what happens when that manager gets fired in 6 months? He's back to being nobody. If the manager doesn't like him, or brings in someone else to replace him, he gets two years with the reserves.

At least the bigger names can get loaned out or sold. But for players like him, you just get lost in the system. They're not on enough money to matter. At least here he'll have supportive managers, and if he ever runs into issues, they'll be other clubs willing to pick him up. That's why having a strong domestic league is so important.

Silock 12-13-2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9204199)
You are saying they would get back to...the place they are now...where they are failing.

So basically even though they are in the top league...and failing...if they went down to the Champ league they would spend a bunch of money to get back to the top league...

Did you see this doc on them? That organization is clown shoes. Just spending money only goes so far...you have to be smart as well. See NYRB as opposed tot the successful Galaxy.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R5xAmAjZ1mY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why would Matt Besler want to play there except for money.

I'm saying they will spend whatever it takes to get back to the premiership, should they be relegated. It wasn't that long ago that QPR were in the third tier.

What I'm not saying is that they're a great organization. I'm simply saying that they have a lot of money, and the EPL is increasingly reliant upon that. They have a far better chance of staying in the top division over the long haul than do many other clubs.

zigbazah 12-13-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Money is the only reason to languish at the bottom of some shitty EPL club.

I've said this for years. Money is the only reason for a move to rainy England, and being a no-name at some crappy, relegation threatened EPL team. Seriously, who actually looks forward to playing at Wigan or Reading?

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-13-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigbazah (Post 9204241)
I've said this for years. Money is the only reason for a move to rainy England, and being a no-name at some crappy, relegation threatened EPL team. Seriously, who actually looks forward to playing at Wigan or Reading?

I would. ;)

|Zach| 12-13-2012 11:03 AM

Sporting KC signs defender Yann Songo'o
21-year-old Cameroonian adds depth to Sporting KC backline

http://www.sportingkc.com/sites/kans...o%27o%2001.JPG

Sporting Kansas City announced on Thursday that the club has signed defender Yann Songo’o. The 21-year-old Cameroon youth international will be added to the team’s roster pending the receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC.

“We had him train with us last summer and we feel he is a talented, young player with a big upside,” Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. “We look forward to adding him and bolstering the depth of the team.”

Songo’o represented Cameroon at the 2011 African Youth Championship in South Africa, helping his country reach the final and qualify for the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He was again selected for Cameroon’s under-20 squad for the FIFA tournament and played in a 1-0 victory over Uruguay in the group stage finale to send his country through to the knockout round.

“I have lot of hope and aspiration that this will be a big experience and opportunity to show what I have as a footballer,” Songo’o said. “I want to thank the club for the chance they are giving me and I want to show my gratitude to them on the playing field.”

After developing as a youth with Deportivo de la Coruña and Real Zaragoza in Spain, Songo’o spent a short stint in France at FC Metz before returning to Zaragoza. Songo’o featured for Real Zaragoza B from 2010-2011, drawing interest from Real Madrid and FC Barcelona before moving up to Spain’s Liga Adelante (Segunda Division) with CE Sabadell FC. He appeared in a Copa del Rey second round qualifier for the club.

Most recently, Songo’o joined Pobla de Mafumet CF in January 2012. He is the son of former Cameroon goalkeeping great Jacques Songo’o, a four-time member of Cameroon’s World Cup teams, and the brother of Portland Timbers midfielder Franck Songo’o.

VITALS
Yann Songo’o
Position: Defender
Number: 2
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 182
Born: 11/19/1991
Birthplace: Toulon, France
Hometown: Yaoundé, Cameroon
Last Club: Pobla de Mafumet CF (Spain)
Twitter: @Songoo91

Silock 12-13-2012 11:14 AM

WTB someone who can score the ****ing goals!

the Talking Can 12-13-2012 02:27 PM

the article is in spanish, but according to google translate

Quote:

After several twists and turns, finally confirmed that former Argentine striker Liga de Quito, Claudio Bieler, from next year will join the Sporting Kansas City, a club that plays in Major League Soccer and so the Ecuadorean club must find a replacement.

Monday is the day in which the 'Copa' travel to the U.S. to close its incorporation into U.S. club for the next three years, and after signing the contract, travel to Argentina to spend Christmas with his family .

Onsite Sporting Kansas City is directed by Peter Vermes, a former player of several MLS teams and last championship was eliminated in the semifinals of their conference.
http://www.goal.com/es-ar/news/4457/...al-kansas-city

|Zach| 12-17-2012 10:30 AM

Holiday video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3hVIO_F_MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CHENZ A! 12-17-2012 10:39 AM

Haha! Awesome

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-17-2012 11:07 AM

KC's only winning franchise. Oh, the sadness of it all...

the Talking Can 12-17-2012 12:58 PM

can you imagine the chiefs trying to give a shit like that?

it would be a still shot of pioli tweeting everyone to 'shut the **** up, you're being watched'

|Zach| 12-17-2012 03:34 PM

Sporting KC to unveil Designated Player on Tuesday.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2012/...player-tuesday

Demonpenz 12-17-2012 03:50 PM

Aresenal is off the chain today.

|Zach| 12-18-2012 11:04 AM

Sporting KC will face PHI & TOR before home opener against Chicago Fire on March 16

Sporting Kansas City learned three games on its 2013 MLS schedule, including the team’s first home match on March 16 against rivals Chicago Fire, as Major League Soccer announced the regular season home openers for each of its 19 clubs on Tuesday. Sporting KC will kick off the team’s 18th season at the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, March 2 then travel to take on Toronto FC on Saturday, March 9.

Per the MLS announcement, times and broadcast information for these games will be revealed in the coming weeks as part of the complete 2013 regular season schedule. Each club will again play 34 games during the regular season.

Sporting Kansas City, first place finishers in the Eastern Conference each of the last two seasons, will begin their 2013 MLS campaign at PPL Park with the earliest regular season match in club history on March 2. Sporting Kansas City recorded a 2-0 victory in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinals in their last trip to the venue, which served as the site for the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game. Sporting KC boasts an MLS-best 11-4-2 record all-time in season openers and has suffered just one loss to start the season in the last 11 years.

One week later, Sporting Kansas City will travel north of the border to face Toronto on March 9. Sporting KC is 8-3-4 all-time against Toronto FC and currently have a seven-game unbeaten streak against their Canadian counterparts following three wins during the 2012 regular season.

The team then opens its 2013 home schedule with the earliest regular season home match in club history on Saturday, March 16 at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park by welcoming the Chicago Fire. The match-up will mark the fifth time in club history that the two teams have met in Kansas City’s regular season home opener, including the first-ever match at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park in June 2011. Sporting Kansas City is 11-2-4 in home openers in club history and has lost only one home opener in the last 13 years.

Season tickets start at $400 for 20-game packages and are currently on sale for the 2013 season at state-of-the-art LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. Visit SportingKC.com, email tickets@sportingkc.com or call 888-4KC-GOAL to reserve seats. Single-game tickets for the 2013 home opener and subsequent home matches will go on sale in February.

Sporting Kansas City will travel to Tucson, Ariz. and Orlando, Fla. for the team's 2013 pre-season. The team will participate in The Desert Friendlies presented by FC Tucson at the Kino Sports Complex and will be one of six MLS teams competing in the 2013 Disney Pro Soccer Classic at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Travel packages are available that include lodging, match tickets, attraction tickets and exclusive VIP experiences. Visit SoccerSpringTraining.com for details.

In addition to the MLS regular season schedule, Sporting Kansas City's 2013 campaign will be highlighted by the club's defense of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title and participation in the 2013-2014 CONCACAF Champions League.

SPORTING KANSAS CITY 2013 REGULAR SEASON

WEEK 1
Saturday, March 2:
Philadelphia Union vs. Sporting Kansas City (PPL Park)

WEEK 2
Saturday, March 9:
Toronto FC vs. Sporting Kansas City (TBD)

WEEK 3
Saturday, March 16:
Sporting Kansas City vs. Chicago Fire (LIVESTRONG Sporting Park)

|Zach| 12-18-2012 11:15 AM

Chicago on open day...that place will be bonkers.

|Zach| 12-18-2012 11:36 AM

Also the designated player announcement will be streamed live at this link at 1 CT today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DeYBz4hb7E

the Talking Can 12-18-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9205353)
the article is in spanish, but according to google translate

http://www.goal.com/es-ar/news/4457/...al-kansas-city

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/18...io-bieler.html

Demonpenz 12-18-2012 02:28 PM

SKC is off the chain.

|Zach| 12-18-2012 03:40 PM

Come for the Bieler highlights...stay for the goal keeper's hair at :32.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5umdoiNszRI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-18-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9217751)
Holiday video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3hVIO_F_MM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome... nice face time, Zach.. also the family at the end is a guy i went to high school with. Great dude, glad he's on there as well.

|Zach| 12-18-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 9221912)
Awesome... nice face time, Zach.. also the family at the end is a guy i went to high school with. Great dude, glad he's on there as well.

It was awkward but turned out well. They are nice...met them on some road trips...good folks.

Demonpenz 12-18-2012 08:48 PM

I can't help but scream "HELLO!>!>!>!>!" at the Bieler highlights #sportingkc

|Zach| 12-20-2012 01:46 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U59ElBvQRxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil 12-26-2012 12:37 PM

Here Are All Of Lionel Messi’s 91 Goals In 2012

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17sm.../avt-small.jpg Barry Petchesky

On Saturday, Lionel Messi scored another beauty—a dribble through the defender's legs, finished with a left-footed strike into the far corner. It was the 91st and final goal of his calendar year, an all-time record. A crack Youtuber has put together a compilation of every single one, so let Messi lull you with 10 minutes of hypnotic, non-stop scoring. Savor it, since it'll be a long time before we see anything like this again.

Meanwhile, Polk Panther at Heading For The Exits has infographic'd Messi's 2012 scores. (Click to embiggen.) That's an awful lot of goals
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/189k...g/original.jpg

Here's the YouTube video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qXrltgfrrqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't even like soccer, but I thought this was cool.

carlos3652 12-26-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9241837)
Here Are All Of Lionel Messi’s 91 Goals In 2012

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17sm.../avt-small.jpg Barry Petchesky

On Saturday, Lionel Messi scored another beauty—a dribble through the defender's legs, finished with a left-footed strike into the far corner. It was the 91st and final goal of his calendar year, an all-time record. A crack Youtuber has put together a compilation of every single one, so let Messi lull you with 10 minutes of hypnotic, non-stop scoring. Savor it, since it'll be a long time before we see anything like this again.

Meanwhile, Polk Panther at Heading For The Exits has infographic'd Messi's 2012 scores. (Click to embiggen.) That's an awful lot of goals
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/189k...g/original.jpg

Here's the YouTube video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qXrltgfrrqw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't even like soccer, but I thought this was cool.

Incredible Stats between the 2 best players in the world -

http://messivsronaldo.net/

I am impressed by Messi's goals - but he has also tons of assists - he is from out of this world.

|Zach| 12-29-2012 07:39 AM

Good time to be Matt Besler.

http://i.imgur.com/T48jo.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...87760113_n.jpg