ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Sushi (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272092)

Shogun 04-14-2013 11:46 AM

Sushi

Do you like sushi and do you have a favorite spot?

I really like Haru's steak and sushi in Olathe on 119th. Their Las vegas rolls are the bomb. Tuna sashimi also.

KCUnited 04-14-2013 11:53 AM

Domo is my place, mostly because its in my neighborhood but their sushi is as legit as it can get around here. My wife works near RA in OP, their monkey rolls are good.

Braincase 04-14-2013 11:59 AM

Don't you love it when you hang out with someone that joyfully exclaims their love of sushi, and then they order a California Roll?

I love exploring the house specialty rolls where ever I go. I have a few favorites...

Lawrence: Wa - Love the XXX Roll. Best roll I've ever had.
Yokohama - Love the Heart Attack, Jayhawk, Crunchy Munchy

Leawood: Sushi Gin - Love their Tsunami and L.A. Rolls.

Best experience I've had ever? Whatever it was that Troy (Big Daddy) ordered from his favorite guy when I was teaching out on the West Coast and hanging out with him and Li'l Momma. Great food, great time.

Shogun 04-14-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9585581)
Domo is my place, mostly because its in my neighborhood but their sushi is as legit as it can get around here. My wife works near RA in OP, their monkey rolls are good.

I've not had Domo but I'd like to, ive heard good reviews of the place. Will put on my list. Theres also a place on 75th st called kokoro maki house that is also awesome, not just sushi but the entire cuisine is delicious.

Bowser 04-14-2013 12:02 PM

There is a little hole in the wall place north of the river on Parvin Road called Mr. Lee's. Suprisingly good sushi, most likely better than Moonlight Sushi up by Liberty.

IratePrimate 04-14-2013 12:04 PM

I love Mint sushi in Lees Summit

http://mintasian.com/index.html

Mojo Jojo 04-14-2013 12:36 PM

Kokoro Maki in Waldo is great!!

Buehler445 04-14-2013 12:39 PM

I'm not a sushi lover, but I had some great shit in Hawaii. I mean really great. I'll see if I can find the name of the place.

My favorite was salmon sushimi.

CrazyPhuD 04-14-2013 12:47 PM

Well there is this one stripper I know.....

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2013 12:47 PM

I prefer it cooked.

CrazyPhuD 04-14-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9585696)
I prefer it cooked.

You prefer cooked strippers?????:eek:

Bowser 04-14-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD (Post 9585701)
You prefer cooked strippers?????:eek:

I thought strippers were always baked? :hmmm:

ghak99 04-14-2013 01:06 PM

I like it, but I'm almost convinced it doesn't like me.

salame 04-14-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9585595)
There is a little hole in the wall place north of the river on Parvin Road called Mr. Lee's. Suprisingly good sushi, most likely better than Moonlight Sushi up by Liberty.

I only go there for the PHO. The spicy tuna rolls use canned tuna :(

BlackHelicopters 04-14-2013 01:22 PM

Love it. Great local place here in SW MO.

Bowser 04-14-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salame (Post 9585739)
I only go there for the PHO. The spicy tuna rolls use canned tuna :(

Well, shit. :huh:

Fish 04-14-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 9585669)

Yeah, I eat there quite a bit too. Another favorite is Jun's at 77th & Stateline across from Hyvee. I think Jun's is a little better. They had a bunch of Toro in last time I was there, and ended up spending about $30 cause I couldn't quit.

I stop by Sunfresh in Westport and pick up sushi there sometime, and it's actually pretty decent. ~$6-8 for 6 pieces of nigiri.

I'm not a fan of rolls. I really prefer nigiri. Keep it simple. Extra wasabi..

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

The town I live in here in Maryland is ethnic restaurant heaven. We have seven sushi places for a town of 140,000 people, along with Indian, Thai, Malaysian, Asian Fusion, Vietnamese, Tex-Mex, Spanish, Brazilian, Korean, German, French, Greek/Mediterranean, Afghani and Chinese.

Yeah, people around here don't like to cook at home much from what I can see.

Saccopoo 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

Takashi in Salt Lake City is one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever experienced. The owner,Takashi Gibo, is very creative and understands texture pairings and proper fish slicing to get the most out of the proteins. If he's there and on the knife, you are going to get something very good.

Tako in Colorado Springs has great rolls.

I did have some remarkably good sushi in Oakland one night, but I can't remember the name of the joint. The Uni was very fresh and their amaebi was well done.

Other than that, most sushi joints are about the same - marginal and generic at best meant to cater to fat bodies trying to jam as much shitty, ill-prepared rolls doused in over salted soy and wasabi powder paste into their gaping pie holes as fast as they can.

I stopped going out for sushi a long time ago. It kinda turned into golf - a bunch of people who are half-assing it and shouldn't really be doing it ruined the whole concept of what it's supposed to be about. Plus, with the boom in it's popularity (and a bunch of slap dicks making it for the masses), it's really ruining the quality of fish that is currently available. When all you have left is farm raised Tilapia and Salmon that is so grotesquely fat with horrible flavor due to the corn feedings, you can thank all the shitty Korean, Chinese and Gaijin sushi joints spread out through the world.

If you are interested in watching how sushi should be done, I'd recommend taking a look at "Jiro Loves Sushi." It's on Netflix and shows how a proper sushi joint should be run.

houstonwhodat 04-14-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9585696)
I prefer it cooked.

Me too.

Don't like raw sushi.

People think sushi means raw fish but it doesn't.

It means vinegar and rice.

rabblerouser 04-14-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9585674)
I'm not a sushi lover, but I had some great shit in Hawaii. I mean really great. I'll see if I can find the name of the place.

My favorite was salmon sushimi.

Right??

Best sushi I've ever had was in Hawaii.

Close second : Chicago, across from the Riviera Theatre...GREAT sushi.

Third : sushi I've eaten in LA/SF/Seattle/NYC

Fourth : pretty much any other sushi place

Fifth : grocery store (don't do it)

sixth : gas station sushi (for squeamishly suicidal)

hahaha j/k - love me some sushi though.

And don't ever buy it at a gas station- I saw a commerical recently where it showed a guy buying sushi at a gas station...maybe it's been awhile since I been in a gas station, but no matter how nice the place is, I ain't eating sushi from a place that sells gas.

A slice of pizza?? Sure.

BBQ?? Shit yeah - Oklahoma Joe's and Lutz's BBQ in Jeff City have taught me to not ignore gas station BBQ...

but gas station sushi just doesn't seem right.

Saulbadguy 04-14-2013 01:46 PM

Tamago is usually the cheapest on the menu, but can vary the greatest from place to place. Truly an art form.

http://www.atlantasushibar.com/files...c0d765db6c.jpg

beach tribe 04-14-2013 01:50 PM

You would love the Sushi bars in Japan. I've been to a bunch in Tokyo and Nagasaki.
They have conveyor belts that run in front of the seats and you just grab off what you want and then they charge you by the plate. Heaven.

beach tribe 04-14-2013 01:53 PM

I love all sushi. I like mine raw the most, but those of you who are scared of sushi, get your chef to make you a steak, cream cheese, and avocado roll. You'll be hooked for life.

ThaVirus 04-14-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9585588)
Don't you love it when you hang out with someone that joyfully exclaims their love of sushi, and then they order a California Roll?

I love me some California rolls. I'll usually order some of those and try a different type of actual sushi as well.

It's always exciting trying a new type of sushi. Sucks when you ****ing hate it though and you're stuck there eating it.

Demonpenz 04-14-2013 01:58 PM

I like California roll

rabblerouser 04-14-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9585857)
I love me some California rolls. I'll usually order some of those and try a different type of actual sushi as well.

It's always exciting trying a new type of sushi. Sucks when you ****ing hate it though and you're stuck there eating it.

just tell the chef that you're a novice and to fix you something accordingly.

rabblerouser 04-14-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9585866)
I like California roll

of course you do.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 02:01 PM

Love sushi.. Ate it last night http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/15/4ujyryje.jpg

Fish 04-14-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9585806)
Takashi in Salt Lake City is one of the best sushi restaurants I've ever experienced. The owner,Takashi Gibo, is very creative and understands texture pairings and proper fish slicing to get the most out of the proteins. If he's there and on the knife, you are going to get something very good.

Tako in Colorado Springs has great rolls.

I did have some remarkably good sushi in Oakland one night, but I can't remember the name of the joint. The Uni was very fresh and their amaebi was well done.

Other than that, most sushi joints are about the same - marginal and generic at best meant to cater to fat bodies trying to jam as much shitty, ill-prepared rolls doused in over salted soy and wasabi powder paste into their gaping pie holes as fast as they can.

I stopped going out for sushi a long time ago. It kinda turned into golf - a bunch of people who are half-assing it and shouldn't really be doing it ruined the whole concept of what it's supposed to be about. Plus, with the boom in it's popularity (and a bunch of slap dicks making it for the masses), it's really ruining the quality of fish that is currently available. When all you have left is farm raised Tilapia and Salmon that is so grotesquely fat with horrible flavor due to the corn feedings, you can thank all the shitty Korean, Chinese and Gaijin sushi joints spread out through the world.

If you are interested in watching how sushi should be done, I'd recommend taking a look at "Jiro Loves Sushi." It's on Netflix and shows how a proper sushi joint should be run.

Half-assing it? Shouldn't be doing it? Ruining what it's about?

WTF? This doesn't make any sense. Why shouldn't people be eating it? It sounds like you're mad because it's popular, and that lessens the trendy and unique "Look at me" aspect for you.

It's food. Don't be such a pretentious bitch about it.

ThaVirus 04-14-2013 02:07 PM

Did you post that photo to your ****ing instagram, bundle of sticks?

ThaVirus 04-14-2013 02:08 PM

I think the best type of sushi I've had to date was called a Mexican roll. I want to say it had fried shrimp in it or some shit.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9585895)
I think the best type of sushi I've had to date was called a Mexican roll. I want to say it had fried shrimp in it or some shit.

Have a sweet sauce on it?

ThaVirus 04-14-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9585905)
Have a sweet sauce on it?

Can't really remember.

I want to say it was orange, like the photo you just posted. Had some fried shrimp with the tail sticking out in the center. It was crunchy. It was amazing.

ReynardMuldrake 04-14-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 9585669)

Hell no! I got sick as a dog the last time I ate there. Their sushi tastes nasty AND it's overpriced. Never again.

Sushi Gin is usually my go-to place. Great lunch specials.

ThaVirus 04-14-2013 02:15 PM

I always put wasabi and soy sauce on my rolls so I probably wouldn't even have been able to tell if there was a sweet sauce on it.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9585915)
Can't really remember.

I want to say it was orange, like the photo you just posted. Had some fried shrimp with the tail sticking out in the center. It was crunchy. It was amazing.

Thats tempura shrimp and the sauce is shrimp sauce... Thats probably what you ate, it is very popular

hometeam 04-14-2013 02:32 PM

Love sushi.

Here locally, there are quite a few joints now, but my favorite is 'Love Sushi'

SuperChief 04-14-2013 02:50 PM

If you're ever unfortunate enough to go through Emporia, there's a really good sushi place directly across from the University - Peking Sushi. House specials are great. I'd recommend the Tokyo Roll.

Bowser 04-14-2013 03:14 PM

LMAO

CrazyPhuD 04-14-2013 03:31 PM

anyone ever gone in wearing this shirt?:hmmm:

http://lewdthreads.com/ecart/media/c..._eat_sushi.png

BWillie 04-14-2013 03:42 PM

Well the 1st problem with sushi is its fish. Secondly its raw. And it smells and doesnt taste good. What a terrible terrible food.

Gravedigger 04-14-2013 03:44 PM

Kona Grill on the Plaza, amazing sushi.

DaFace 04-14-2013 03:49 PM

I don't really have any reason, but I've only tried sushi once in my life, and it was nearly 15 years ago. I'd try it again, but I wouldn't have the first clue where to go or what to order.

Dayze 04-14-2013 04:01 PM

RA sushi at 119th and nall. Killer happy hour

houstonwhodat 04-14-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9586233)
Well the 1st problem with sushi is its fish. Secondly its raw. And it smells and doesnt taste good. What a terrible terrible food.

Sushi doesn't have to be raw.

Get a cooked tuna California roll.

Yummy

sedated 04-14-2013 04:27 PM

Only a few posts before the sushi snobs show up.

Personally, I only eat it in Japan. A few places in Europe have respectable sushi, but any place in America is a joke, you dumb American slobs should be ashamed of yourselves.

Demonpenz 04-14-2013 04:50 PM

I have Long John Silvers as my wallpaper

Dane'sCousin 04-14-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9585571)
Do you like sushi and do you have a favorite spot?

I really like Haru's steak and sushi in Olathe on 119th. Their Las vegas rolls are the bomb. Tuna sashimi also.

Sushi in Olathe? I mean what could be more Japanese than Orathra?

Ace Gunner 04-14-2013 05:35 PM

Nara kc is a good one. great sushi in hawaii, agreed. had a guy in LA by the name of Nozawa I liked very much but he retired and let his kid run the joint and well, not even close. I'd call him a week before and let him know I was coming so he could order a chimp in for live brain sushi. kidding. but it's a delicacy in among some in the orient.

Bowser 04-14-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9586315)
Only a few posts before the sushi snobs show up.

Personally, I only eat it in Japan. A few places in Europe have respectable sushi, but any place in America is a joke, you dumb American slobs should be ashamed of yourselves.

**** you. I saw you down at Kona with your sushi and merlot, wearing that popped collar Izod. You looked like you were having fun.

Ceej 04-14-2013 06:14 PM

I really enjoyed the sushi at Drunken Fish.

Probably my favorite spot.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9586275)
Sushi doesn't have to be raw.

Get a cooked tuna California roll.

Yummy

I suggest the smoked salmon and avocado or smoked salmon and cream cheese for the sushi n00b or those who are afraid to eat raw.. (smoked is cooked)

My wife is about as picky as they come and she loves raw sushi...

Only the fish is raw.. scallops, shrimp or octopus is always cooked.

Best tasting Raw Fish is White tuna, then a tossup between yellowtail and salmon for me.

Once you start eating it raw you will never have a problem with it... It does not taste or smell fishy at all.

tooge 04-14-2013 06:21 PM

Lived over in Japan for a year. Ate duality/sashimi several times a week. My fav is surf clam and salmon sashimi. Spider rolls are delish also. I usually eat at wasabi in Liberty but Harus is good too

Dayze 04-14-2013 06:31 PM

I saw him with 4 layered Izods.

that SOB

Dayze 04-14-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9586566)
I really enjoyed the sushi at Drunken Fish.

Probably my favorite spot.

yeah. that was damn good.

lcarus 04-14-2013 06:46 PM

I am not a big fan of sushi, and secondly, it seems there are some people that think it's hip to like sushi. The same people that eat Panda Express with chop sticks. Use a god damn fork, you aren't impressing anyone.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9586657)
I am not a big fan of sushi, and secondly, it seems there are some people that think it's hip to like sushi. The same people that eat Panda Express with chop sticks. Use a god damn fork, you aren't impressing anyone.

You just couldn't get the hang of it could you? ROFL

lcarus 04-14-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9586663)
You just couldn't get the hang of it could you? ROFL

I swear I've actually never even tried. I could give a shit about being culturally diverse, so I've always used the awesomely effective fork.

|Zach| 04-14-2013 06:51 PM

Nara is a good joint.

Cannibal 04-14-2013 06:52 PM

http://kendylau.files.wordpress.com/...3&h=261&crop=1

I like raw sushi, but my favorite sushi of all time is cooked eel.

lcarus 04-14-2013 06:52 PM

Looks like octopus turds wrapped in electical tape. It's probably ok and I'd probably eat it...

|Zach| 04-14-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9586677)

Prob not my fav but it is consistently good at places I go to. Good shit.

Cannibal 04-14-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9586680)
Looks like octopus turds wrapped in electical tape. It's probably ok and I'd probably eat it...

:) pretty good description.

lcarus 04-14-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9586687)
:) pretty good description.

I could probably deal with sushi every once in a blue moon if I weren't such a negative ****wad most of the time. Down here the sushi joints are packed full of 20-somethings who are overly excited and giddy. Then there's the eccentric "sushi know-it-all" who acts like he's sitting in the director chair of a sushi movie. I can't even enjoy myself because I'm too burdened with the thought that stabbing him in the eyes with chop sticks would be easier than eating with the god damn things. :D

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9586671)
I swear I've actually never even tried. I could give a shit about being culturally diverse, so I've always used the awesomely effective fork.

I don't eat with chopsticks at a Chinese restaurant but I do with Sushi

I like eel sometimes it's a bit too sweet for my taste...

I like fried Salmon Skin rolls... Crunchy

lcarus 04-14-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9586723)
I don't eat with chopsticks at a Chinese restaurant but I do with Sushi

I like eel sometimes it's a bit too sweet for my taste...

I like fried Salmon Skin rolls... Crunchy

Yeah I can deal with salmon rolls. I tried eel and it wasn't to my liking. I also tried octopus (tako?) and it was meh.

Dayze 04-14-2013 07:14 PM

LMAO "electrical tape"

Cannibal 04-14-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9586718)
I could probably deal with sushi every once in a blue moon if I weren't such a negative ****wad most of the time. Down here the sushi joints are packed full of 20-somethings who are overly excited and giddy. Then there's the eccentric "sushi know-it-all" who acts like he's sitting in the director chair of a sushi movie. I can't even enjoy myself because I'm too burdened with the thought that stabbing him in the eyes with chop sticks would be easier than eating with the god damn things. :D

Hah!

Well, I'm certainly not truely knowledgeable on the subject, and certainly not sushi snob, but I do enjoy it from time to time.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 07:21 PM

I like to go in there and piss of liberals walking around in pants that look like pajamas

|Zach| 04-14-2013 07:23 PM

I feel foreign to the idea of enjoying or not enjoying something based on other people and how they interact with something.

Who gives a shit about who else likes sushi and how they go about it. You either like it or you don't no?

Bowser 04-14-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9586780)
I feel foreign to the idea of enjoying or not enjoying something based on other people and how they interact with something.

Who gives a shit about who else likes sushi and how they go about it. You either like it or you don't no?

Did you NOT read Sedated's post?

lcarus 04-14-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

I did put the disclaimer that I'm a negative ****wad most of the time.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

I would not like to go to a Sushi bar where you are, You would take up half the damn bar...

Chef... YOU TO FAT YOU MUST MOVE

|Zach| 04-14-2013 07:26 PM

Really cool documentary on Netflix instant about what is considered to be one of the top sushi restaurants in the world...it is very small and run by a guy who has been at it forever. Pretty interesting watch.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hbV6knbeUFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cephalic Trauma 04-14-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9586775)
I like to go in there and piss of liberals walking around in pants that look like pajamas

Elaborate. I'm intrigued.

Pack heat and call them baby killers? That's a start.

R8RFAN 04-14-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9586792)
Elaborate. I'm intrigued.

Pack heat and call them baby killers? That's a start.

You don't need to pack heat when you deal with Libturds

lcarus 04-14-2013 07:28 PM

In all truthfulness, I really don't care about what other people think of it or how they act in the restaurants. I was just trying to be funny and failed like I am known to do round these here parts. Some sushi is ok to me.

Cephalic Trauma 04-14-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9586677)

That looks ****ing delicious, fwiw. Isn't that considered sashimi though? I've never had the balls to get it, but I think that's what it looks like.

|Zach| 04-14-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9586795)
In all truthfulness, I really don't care about what other people think of it or how they act in the restaurants. I was just trying to be funny and failed like I am known to do round these here parts. Some sushi is ok to me.

Where do you live generally?