ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Daniel-Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253139)

Hammock Parties 11-30-2011 06:04 PM

Daniel-Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln

http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/1...80%99s-lincoln

http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/f..._firstlook.jpg

Quote:

Lincoln is directed by Stephen Spielberg and stars two-time Academy Award winning actor Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York) as president Abraham Lincoln. The film will chronicle Abe's efforts to abolish slavery and end the civil war. Recent reports say that Daniel Day Lewis has not broken his Lincoln accent since filming commenced and is so engrossed in his character his “real name doesn’t even appear on the call sheet.”

Joseph Gordon Levitt (Inception) will portray Lincoln's eldest son Robert Todd Lincoln, who was the only one of Abe's children to live past their teen years. Tommy Lee Jones (No Country For Old Men) is being tapped to play Thaddeus Stevens, a Republican leader and congressman from Pennsylvania who was vital in helping Abe's efforts to rid slavery. Sally Field is set to play Abe's wife Mary Todd. Jared Harris has signed on to play Union general Ulysses S. Grant. Other actors on board the project in minor roles include David Oyelowo, Hal Holbrook, James Spader, John Hawkes, Tim Blake Nelson, Bruce McGill, David Costabile, Byron Jennings, Dakin Matthews, Boris McGiver, Gloria Reuben, Jeremy Strong, David Warshofsky and Joseph Cross.

Lincoln began filming this fall in Virginia for a targeted release in late 2012 under Disney's Touchstone label via DreamWorks Pictures.

Source: The Film Stage

DaveNull 11-30-2011 06:07 PM

Looks like he could shave and play Steve Jobs after this one wraps.

KC Hawks 11-30-2011 06:18 PM

Definitely looking forward to this. In fact, I'm looking forward to a lot of movies in 2012.

KC_Connection 11-30-2011 06:25 PM

I've always thought DDL has to be a bit crazy to take method acting to the extreme that he does. I can't even imagine how awful he must have been around during the filming of Gangs of New York, not to mention There Will Be Blood.

You can't doubt that he gives great performances, though, and I'm sure Lincoln will be much in the same vein.

Buehler445 12-01-2011 08:24 AM

Really looking forward to this.

What kind of accent did Lincoln have?

loochy 12-01-2011 09:16 AM

I'VE ABANDONED MY SLAVES! I'VE ABANDONED MY SLAVES! I'VE ABANDONED MY WORKERS!

Freedom! Freedom, Eli, you boy. Freed slaves. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a slave, and I have a slave, and I have a whip. There it is, that's a whip, you see? You watching? And my whip reaches acroooooossss the plantation, and starts to whip you instead of your slave...I...free...your...slave! I free him up!

*gets shot at the theater* I'M FINISHED!

Frazod 12-01-2011 09:20 AM

Can't think of anybody better to play the part. Definitely looking forward to this.

DMAC 12-01-2011 09:22 AM

He's the best in the biz.

QuikSsurfer 12-01-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 8158143)
He's the best in the biz.

Yup

otherstar 12-01-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8158048)
Really looking forward to this.

What kind of accent did Lincoln have?

According to many reports from those who knew him, his voice was high-pitched, but not shrill and he spoke with an accent that a mix of Indiana and Kentucky. Go here for more.

ChiefFripp 12-01-2011 02:32 PM

Din't Lincoln say that if he could win the war without freeing the slaves, he would? Will that be left out of the movie?

Huffmeister 12-01-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefFripp (Post 8158989)
Din't Lincoln say that if he could win the war without freeing the slaves, he would? Will that be left out of the movie?

Here's the quote you're thinking of (from Wikipedia):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

whoman69 12-02-2011 10:05 AM

Hal Holbrook going to play Mark Twain?

Rain Man 12-02-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8157127)
Looks like he could shave and play Steve Jobs after this one wraps.

Yeah, most people don't know that Jobs stole his look from Lincoln. The only change was not using the stovepipe hat.

Baby Lee 12-02-2011 10:13 AM

Will butt****ing be a running theme?