ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Game Consoles Are Already Dead — And Developers Know It (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270721)

candyman 03-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9466968)
Gaming PCs cost you about $800-$1K and then you have to upgrade it every couple of years, if that long, with about $400 extra. That's stupid.

ROFL ok

candyman 03-05-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9467052)
I want all-new. I love the originals, and have played them through probably 3 to 5 times each, but if there is a new ff like the old games for 25 to 40 bucks on my phone, I will buy it.

The ff3 for Android is nothing like ff3 on (American) NES. I think its the same as the one for DS though.

Deberg_1990 03-05-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9465717)
This isn't about PC versus consoles. It's the phones and tablets that are changing things the most right now. There's been a boom in casual gaming... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. It's the same market Nintendo went after (or, at least ended up finding) with the Wii.

It's not gonna kill the consoles though, or PC gaming. The games you can play on a phone or a tablet are simple. Time fillers, for when you on a bus, subway... waiting at the airport... whatever.

There will always be people who want a more complex deep game with a big screen / monitor and a controller / keyboard and mouse.

This ^

Console gaming isnt going to die
PC gaming isnt going to die
Casual gaming (Tablets and Phones) isnt going to die.

The market has been fractured but each audience is distinct enough to make money.

What is going probably happen is some companies will suffer and inevitably close up shop and get out of the hardware business or a certain segment of software. Nintendo, Dell, etc??? There is too much competition out there for everyone to make money.

Lex Luthor 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9465137)
Game consoles are dead

Signed Atari, 1983

The irony here is that Atari game consoles were very low tech, whereas Atari home computers were great gaming systems.

Setsuna 03-05-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9467017)
Bullshit.

If you want the optimal gaming experience then yes it's true. While the optimal gaming experience on a console depends on the HDD in the console and the developers engine. Which doesn't cost you a damn thing other than space. Herp derp. Fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9467059)
ROFL ok

You're a n00b, therefore your opinion means shit.

Imon Yourside 03-05-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9465767)
I haven't turned my xbox on in months. Every AAA title is a rehash. The multiplayer is laggy as **** and you have to pay $50 a year to play online? **** it, going PC gaming. Just need a gaming pc.

You can build a good(not great) gaming rig for around $400, then upgrade the video card later to make it great. ;)

Dayze 03-05-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9467323)
You can build a good(not great) gaming rig for around $400, then upgrade the video card later to make it great. ;)

:hmmm:

candyman 03-05-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9467297)
If you want the optimal gaming experience then yes it's true. While the optimal gaming experience on a console depends on the HDD in the console and the developers engine. Which doesn't cost you a damn thing other than space. Herp derp. Fail.

You're a n00b, therefore your opinion means shit.

Its not an opinion that you dont know what the hell you're talking about. I have about $600 in my son's rig, and the graphics it produces will blow any console out of the water. I do this shit for a living. Douche.

jjjayb 03-05-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9464702)
I disagree. I don't know anyone who games on a PC. Maybe a couple aquintances I don't know about, but everyone I know who does game, has either an Xbox or PS3. I don't ever see myself gaming on a PC.

I do. So much easier to be able to download a game on steam. Steam sales that have $50 games from 2 months ago for $20. Games from 6 months ago for $10. Not to mention a ton of indie games that are under $10 that you'll never see on a console.

DaFace 03-05-2013 02:51 PM

You can argue the reasons all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the article in the OP draws nothing but non sequitur conclusions. Games on mobile devices are generally far simpler and easier to develop than games on consoles, so of course a majority are planning to develop for that medium. Similarly, my understanding is that it's easier to develop for PC than it is for consoles since it's all fairly standardized.

The only thing this article proves is that developers tend to put their efforts into areas that require less of an investment. Go figure. In addition, this survey seems to be aimed at a wide variety of developers. If they'd focused just on the major players, I might pay more attention, but a guy who develops a tic tac toe game in his basement wasn't exactly going to be thinking of developing an Xbox game anyway.

jjjayb 03-05-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9466968)
Gaming PCs cost you about $800-$1K and then you have to upgrade it every couple of years, if that long, with about $400 extra. That's stupid.

And meanwhile, you're stuck with outdated graphics on your console for the next 5-6 years.

Deberg_1990 03-05-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 9465860)
I think the next gen consoles are gonna be hurt by the fact that there isn't a new DVD format.

Playstation sold because it was a great piece of hardware and the games were awesome at launch.

Playstation 2 sold because it was cool looking, had a few cool games, but it was MANY people's first DVD player. It was an excuse to upgrade.

Playstation 3 didn't have much at launch, and what they did have didn't fully use the capabilities. Madden was a huge disappointment. But it was cool, and it was everybody's first BluRay player. I actually splurged that day and got a new TV and an HDMI cable... It was freaking beautiful. Now I use it every day to watch movies, get online, game (only every once in awhile), and I watch a crap ton of Netflix.

I watched the launch party 2 hour event for PS4, and while it all looks neat... It's just not anything I feel like I need right now. Don't get me wrong, I'll prob start saving now and go get it at launch, just to have one (because I'm a tool like that). But overall... I guess I'm just hoping for a better version of what I already have. Less noisy fan and heat, much better browser, lower download times, much less lag with online gaming, etc... Maybe it'll have .mkv support?

I'll be thrilled if they significantly upgrade the Madden franchise, and can make a few games that will suck me in the way Ninja Gaiden Sigma did. But overall I'm just not a gamer anymore. Haven't been in a long time.

Somewhat. They are hurt because the technology leap and innovation isn’t as great as it was from the PS2 to PS3, XBOX to 360 and Gamecube to the Wii

Imon Yourside 03-05-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9467478)
:hmmm:

I've built around 17 or so for friends the last couple of years, and I always have them skimp a little on the graphics card to start then upgrade that at their discretion. My 260 gtx I bought 4 years ago still plays everything at hi(not the highest) graphic settings, works great in my 3rd machine.

Chazno 03-05-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 9467545)
And meanwhile, you're stuck with outdated graphics on your console for the next 5-6 years.

lol. $1200 versus up-to-date graphics. I guess it is a matter of priorities. I have many other things I could use that money on. I am way more than a casual gamer and consoles are perfect for me. Hell I'm a professional programmer and my main box (at home) is almost 7 years old.

The real story is that they finally discovered the casual gaming market(thanks to nintendo). The thing is indie developers can compete and excel in this market as games like COD, WOW and Skyrim have no place in this market. Casual Gamers won't take the time to learn complex games. Give them a bubble shooter and they are happy.

Dayze 03-05-2013 03:56 PM

Hmm. Yeah, I'm researching now. I basically just want one simply for MS Flight Simulator.

not sure if it makes a difference in terms of the guts of the computer but I'll probably end up with 3 monitors eventually. BUt not to start out.